Friends Superpower: BAD BREATH AND BODY ODOR!!

@tamirs (1808)
No matter how much i want to spend more time hugging my dear friend,her superpower always shoo me away.She got mad at me when I once found my guts and tell her how she smell.That is why as much as possible i don't want to start a conversation regarding that topic. This morning my friend went here in our house to say goodbye to me.He will leave for Taiwan in two weeks time.I was so surprise to know that she is leaving soon and will stay there for two years to work. Because she is so dear to me,before she leave for Taiwan,i want to tell her how she smell.So she will be aware and do something for a change.I want her to have many friends in Taiwan as many as possible.But i know her smell will be a big hindrance in gaining friends. Is there a nice way to tell her that?Or will it be better if i just forget about it and leave her as is?And also can you share me some ideas on how to take away those bad odors aside from brushing 3 times a day and taking a bath twice daily?
@fannitia (2170)
• Bulgaria
Hi, Tamirs, this is a delicate topic but I don't see other way to speak than do it up upfront. One of my co-workers has also a bad body odor and I find it strange because she looks always very clean. Maybe she has a problem with the smell of her sweat and this may be a sign of a health problem You can take a look at this article: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/419692/when_is_bad_body_odor_a_sign_of_a_serious.html I found it with myLot search, I'm sure that you can find a lot more and hopefully something useful. Good luck!
@tamirs (1808)
You are right Fannitia,like your work mate my friend is also as clean when you see her.That is why i also don't know how she smells like that.
hi fan an tamirs a good ladys deodorant is a must even if she does shower each day as sweat gets stinky in a tropical climate so she shuld use a top grade womans deodorant and some really have a pleasant perfume to them too. i think my gift idea will really work and she c annot refuse a nice going away gift and perhaps as its closing inon christmas she can use as a early Christmas gift too.
@tamirs (1808)
Thank you so much for the idea Hatley, That would be a great idea for an early Christmas gift.
@WakeUpKitty (8706)
• Netherlands
No there is no nice way to tell. Why not? Because it's a personal issue and you already know she doesn't like to hear it. So be that great friend you are and tell her that she will start a new life now and the first impression is important. So each day shower, clean clothes, hair washed and combed, clean nails, washing hands before you eat and after you went to the toilet and teeth brushed. And if the smell from her mouths still be there advice her to use spearmint chewing gum (it can be a problem of the stomach or digestion same with body smell). You could advice to use some deo or nice smell as well but I do think if so you have to go along to check the smell on her body. Since she doesn't seem to care or can't smell that smell in combination with her own body smell (we all smell different so if we all buy te same it will smell different on each of us too). Personally I can't stand people who smell and my love is over if so. I tell my kids straight away. They find it normal and they know that even if it might sound hard if you say: you stink I still love them and don't abandon them because of that.
I don't spend too much time with people who smell. I don't make it my job to tell them. However, if they asked me I would probably tell them. Same with bad breath... I don't tell them, but I don't stay downwind of them either. Sometimes it's a medical problem and sometimes it is just that the person isn't taking proper care of his/her hygiene. Sometimes depression causes people not to care enough to clean up.
@tamirs (1808)
You are right kitty,i don't want her to feel that i hate hugging her because of how she smells,but i don't know if sometimes she sees it in my face or she is just use to it. I really find it hard to tell her that,really.
@jillhill (37383)
How about a gift basket with deoderant and bath gel or shower gel in it as a going away gift....even some toothpaste and mouth wash. That way she might get the hint without is affecting your relationship!
I agree with that..and i use that also to some of my friend who eventually after a couple of weeks later they change...and it is so nice feeling that i help him without even telling vulgar what i needed to tell...even telling the clothes are best but it would be greatnin changing new clothes each day...:)
@tamirs (1808)
You think i didnt do that??lol Oh dear,I gave her deodorant ,body shower and mouthwash . She just thank me for the gifts.and hug me so tight
Tamirs I once had a nurse friend I loved so much and she also had bad breath and bad body odor.it was near Christmas like now and I bought her a set of body lotion, shampoo and hair conditioner and also a really nice set of Lady Mennons deodorant all in a]pretty gift package, this could be a going away gift and a an early Christmas gift too tell her to use it and think of you every time she bathes and shampoos and deodorizes. I think this will be a soft gentle way of showing you care and that she has some problems. You could leave a softly worded gentle reminder that good hygeine is part of living a healthy life.put it on a lovely card and word it with love.We also were not wanting to upset our nurse friend so thats the way we got through to her that she had an odor problem. she was a lovely person otherwise and nobody wanted to hurt her feelings but patients were complaining about her body odor as she came close to them. I did some smoothing of patients feathers but telling them she was a nurse but also ran a chicken farm too so was busy up to when she came on shift. they all liked her just did not dig her body odor.
@tamirs (1808)
Hi Hatley,do you think Lady Mennons deo will work for her?Me i am using Rexona,its a local brand but it works for me eversince.I know she is using the same brand as mine but the effect is not the same :-(
@bingskee (5237)
i think you are a loving friend. and i hope your friend will realize it when you tell her about her smell. do not hesitate. tell her. if you cannot do it personally, write. if she brushes her teeth as frequent as required, then she must be having an illness in her stomach, so it is important that she consults an expert. good luck!
@tamirs (1808)
Hi bing,i can see you are rolling on the floor laughing while typing all these. I think she has halitosis,because she have a very nice st of teeth.I really wish i can tell her what i need to tell her without hurting her.
@wulania (1528)
it must be hard for you.
@tamirs (1808)
Telling her and smelling her. :-(
@thesids (22357)
• Bhubaneswar, India
hi tamirs The simplest I have found is to gift the friend a Deo. S/he is going to be shocked but you can always say that use of deo is hip and in fashion. And when you dont find your friend using it, politely ask - "Hey that is not as expensive to save..." or "You finished that sooner... how did you like it"
@tamirs (1808)
hey sid,i laughed at how you said the words.That will surely not get her mad but i don't think i can tell that to her without laughing. :-D That's really a nice way to tell her that.
If her mouth has odor she could have rotten teeth in her mouth. Once those teeth are out of her mouth she will smell better. As for hr body she is a female and should not need to be told to bathe. She should jump her tail in water and open her leg and let the water run while she clean her self out. I don't know how your going to word this to her but she needs to clean her hole out.
@tamirs (1808)
That i really wonder because she has nice set of teeth.The bathing issue i don't know,because their house is so far from ours i don't know how many times is she taking her bath.
@kingparker (9698)
Where is that odor come from? She didn't take shower that often as she should, or something else? Nice advice, tell her to spray cologne or perfume as much as she can. So, she won't have that bad body odor as obvious as it is now. About the bad breath, she should see the dentist.
Well, be very humble when addressing the opic but let her know that you want to help her with her odor problems! Compose a care package of body soaps and lotions and deoderants and suggest her to try them in hopes that she will find one or multiple scents that she favors! You have to notfiy her that she is in you best interest, and as a friend it is your duty to help her out in any way you possibly can. If she is not convinced by your friendly effors see if you can search some positive effects of good hygeine. (For sure tell her it can gan her a companion and it can make her feel much better, cleaner, and more woman-like)
@jaiho2009 (39001)
Uh uh. I guess your friend has some internal problem. Or it also depends on what she is eating. You can try to tell her once more. I am sure she will feel bad...gosh, and she's about to leave. I wish she will never feel so bad...okay...I am confused too (ugh) I guess, leave it that way, make her trip a happy one...hehehe
@enelym001 (8333)
You should tell her about it. I know she will get offended but if you tell her about it in a nice way then I am sure she will understand you. It is better for her to hear those words from you. If she met new people in Taiwan and started telling her about how foul she smells, she would think about you and her family. Why those people around her never tell her about it. She can put on some deodorant. As for the bad breath, I think she needs to go to the dentist. Coz some people still has stinking breath even when they're properly burshing 3 times a day, she might need some treatment.
@louievill (19959)
hello, I've been reading the discussions and it seems the odor is coming from both the inside and the outside of her body. As mentioned, if it's an external thing, then deodorants and oral hygiene would work. Have you tried suggesting powdered "tawas" (natural potassium alum) or our local lemon " calamansi " applied on the smelly parts plus deodorants? Internal odor on the other hand could be due to foods you eat like too much spices and meat, it could also be a sign of poor eating habits or a build up of toxins inside the body, I think chlorophyll tablets or eating a lot of green leafy vegetables and fruits is good internal deodorant. I can understand how you care and love your friend, but all your concern for her is nothing if she does not want to trust you or help herself.
@Mashnn (4503)
First of all it is good to understand that there are medical conditions that can precipitate a woman to smelling bad. This would conditions like fistula especially if your friend has given birth. The other thing is that, I don't expect that your friend may not be showering two to three times a day considering the type of weather that you have. I would advise you to approach your friend in a calm, mature, non criticizing way to find out what might be happening. Incase, she may not be aware of mouth freshners or deodarants, you can introduce them to her or even buy one for her. It is not wise to let you friend go to another country with this problem.
If you two are really good friends, then you should tell her the truth about her odor and that she should understand that what you're doing is good for her. It will surely hurt her at first, but if she really values your friendship, then she would be able to get over with it. Aside from brushing her teeth and taking a bath, she should also use a deodorant, body spray, cologne or perfume. She should limit eating odor causing foods like spices and etc. She should also wash her clothes and let it dry before using it. Clothes that are not well dried tend to produce unwanted smell. She could add a fabric conditioner in washing her clothes. To sum everything, she should practice GOOD HYGIENE to eliminate and prevent nasty odor. I hope this will help you and your friends. GOD BLESS and Happy Mylottiing ^_^
@besweet (7227)
• Greece
Hi tamirs! I have a friend that smells bad if she is sweaty but I think that she can't smell herself, that's why she doesn't do anything about it. First of all I would recommend daily bath in the morning, deodorant and a perfume. Change clothes every day and be careful of the cloth quality, sometimes if the t-shirts are made of polyester they smell bad. About the breath, I believe it has to do with brushing. 2 times a day is enough I think and morning brushing is essential. Gums would definitely help in this case. The difficult part is how to tell her, you have to be really careful because she might get offended again. Good luck for your friend in her new life! :)
@saphrina (31739)
• South Africa
Hi sweetie. As you have tropical weather i would actually bathing or showering in the morning and before going to bed. deoderant comes to mind. So, i would suggest you take your friend to a secluded corner where no one can hear you and as nicely as possible explain what the problem is and why you thought it best that it should be mentioned. No other way, i'm sorry.
The cause of bad breath is sometimes internal and so with the body odor. She has both, so i think the cause is really internal. Perhaps , you could lovingly explain to her why you have to tell her about them. Tell her that you love her as your friend, so you don't want her to be avoided because of them. Perhaps, since it's maybe an internal cause, she should seek a doctor on how it could be eliminated. My husband used to have a very bad breath. He had endoscopy and it was discovered that his bile just stays in his stomach , so he was given a pill to eliminate them. When the prescription period was over, his bad breath was gone.
@tamirs (1808)
Thank you for sharing that Simplyd,i know its so hard for you to tell that story to us,but your being wanting to help exceeds above all.. you are right,maybe my friends problem is halitosis,wherein the bad smell comes from her stomach and not only via her mouth.Ill make sure to tell her that she needs to consult a specialist in order to have a nice smell.. :-)
@janevi (889)
hi tamirs. it is a very personal thing to say to a friend.I believe friendship would also mean to be able to say the things that others cannot because they are afraid. You can make it lighter if one day you give her a 'kikay' kit with complete with deodorant, mouthwash, toothpaste, shampoo, soap, lotion, etc. as your 'pabaon' for her trip. tell her to use it everyday or regularly because she will be in another country with a different culture , etc. I know it would be quite difficult for you but if you know her very well and she listen to you, she will be grateful that you will tell her these things. Good luck.
@tamirs (1808)
Maybe it will be better if i put a letter in the "pabaon kikay kit" . :-D
@bhonti (1247)
there may be more reasons for your friend's bad odor. Maybe its her lifestyle, aside from her hygiene. Maybe she can watch what she eats, avoid too much onions. Or maybe its also her genes, some of us have "acidic" sweat. My Bf has it, there are time that when he gets sweaty, he has this weird smell, not that bad though, because he is a hygienic person, its just that his sweat is acidic. We try to freshen him up always, like putting powder and deodorant, and avoiding warm places or tire himself to prevent his from sweating. Maybe before she leaves, have a one on one talk with her, she might get hurt in the process but its really for her best. She is a lady, and a lady must always be presentable. Try to tell her in the most comfortable, non-offending way as possible. She is your friend, for sure she will trust you and know that you only want what is best for her.
@tamirs (1808)
I think i know hoe your bf smeels,but id say thats only from your bf's shirt.But my friends smell seem to come from within.I dont know if there is a smell like that. :-(