Did you get a free turkey this year?

I won a free turkey because I spent $348 in one shopping trip from pathmark. The free turkey was $27 and I think if I was not buying that stuff anyway it was not worth it. There was a line of people getting the free turkeys as well. I would not be spending any money next year to get a turkey. I did not know I was even getting one. I happen to red my receipt and saw I won one for shopping. The church here in my mothers town gave out plenty of turkeys.
@bagarad (8951)
• Paso Robles, California
Would you believe I haven't been to any grocery store but Trader Joe's for two weeks? I don't even know if I will get a turkey. I'm not much in the mood to cook one. We may just go out, since we won't be able to get together with my brother again this year. I cooked on anyway last year, but it just seems like too much work this year.
I feel you being I am not in the mood for anything but making the pie. I am cleaning the collard greens as well.
@sid556 (31018)
No..I've never gotten a free turkey. I don't qualify for the ones they give out around here because I work full time. I did get a large one for really cheap though. We are doing a food drive in town and it is just amazing the food they are collecting to help people not only on Thanksgiving but throughout the year. They have gotten truckloads of food so far. From what I'm hearing, this food drive is open to everyone and does not go based on income but rather anyone who finds themselves in a situation where they need the help. It's pretty cool. I've thrown in a couple of cans of stuff and I toss my change in when I pass one of the people collecting. Who knows...could be me or my daughter that needs that help next week.
Adrian gives money when going towards the park way as well. I think we even gave to the fire dept that was collecting for some reason.
@lilybug (21182)
I did not get a free turkey, but then again I have had very little money to spend on groceries at all. I don't think I would have been able to spend nearly enough to get a free one. Nice that you were able to get a free one though. My brothers old work used to give all of their employees a turkey on Thanksgiving and a ham on Christmas.
Well that would be great as well. I am hoping they do it for you this year as well. We just bought half a ham this year. I am taking plates from my family house.
hi gifts no way as I am still stuck in this tiresonme retirement center. I have won several over my long lifetime though. at least we usually have a pretty nice Thanksgiving lunch and they go all out with some great food we never see at an y other time. lol. I had got so for the two of us I jus bought chickens and we had stuffing all the other trimmings. I still have bittersweet feelings at thanksgiving as we lost our little girl on thanksgiving day. also on March 26 I always feel sad as my husband did on our wedding anniversary day . we had been married for 33 years that day. It was hard to let him go bu t I knew there was no hope left. its the hardest thing in the world to watch your love go away like that.
I can only imagine your feelings being I have not lived it. But,I am hoping some where down the line it gets better for you... Take care.
I've never seen a program like that up here in Canada. It sounds like an absolutely awesome deal, though.
@lelin1123 (15645)
• Puerto Rico
No we did not get a free turkey this year. Thoses days are gone for us. We use to shop at Pathmark when we lived on Staten Island, NY and would spend a certain about and get a turkey for free or for very little. We spent 19 dollars and change for a 21 lbs turkey. I just hope it will be good and worth that much. My daughter living in New Mexico had to settle with buying one fr 32 dollars. That is highway robbery to me.
My dad always wins free turkeys from the turkey shoot out at his work. $348 is a rather expensive grocery bill, but groceries have become exorbitant these days! The amount of groceries you purchase seems expensive, but not the amount of products you get for what you pay.
@winterose (39929)
well I get a free turkey every year because my mother buys it for me. I am lucky like that. She makes sure we have all the holidays covered, christmas, easter, thanksgiving