Movies without subtitle

When I watch a movie, I always want to have a subtitle even if the movie is English and the subtitle is English. Their are just words that I can't understand when watching them without a subtitle especially when someone whispers to another person, I hate it coz I can't understand them. Film story is important to me, so, if a movie has no subtitle yet, I will not watch it. Whats your preference? Maybe in the future, a subtitle will be seen when shown at cinemas.
@beamer88 (4268)
I think in the US, television shows are required to have captions or subtitles already. These are beneficial not only to people who are not English speakers, but are in fact for those people who are hearing-impaired. I think the captions can be turned on or off at the discretion of the viewer. The television sets now have that facility. As for the movies shown in theaters, it hasn't been required yet. Some do, but almost all have no subtitles. But this depends also on the country the movie is shown. I think in certain countries, they have subtitles in their native language.
In Philippines, foreign films are shown without subtitle but the language itself is changed into the country's language. This way people can understand clearly what the actors are speaking. As for my part, I think that the original voices are better.
That makes adding subtitle to movies a bit fair for our hearing-impaired friends to enjoy the film their watching. Since cinema trend now is in 3D, i hope subtitle feature is also present in the eyewear. That way, viewers have the freedom to choose what suits him/her best.
Right! Now we will enjoy the film more.
@Triple0 (1907)
hey! I'm the same with you too! I need subtitles to! Without them, I would be just bugging my friends and ask them what just happened or what did he say? Sometimes my hearing isn't all that great and when I miss one word, I just need to know what that word was because it could be important. I always rent movies and watch them with subtitles. I'm so glad that the new TVs have a subtitle option now I can watch TV with subtitles too! I wish the cinemas would get them too, I know the sound is loud already but when characters whisper, I can't hear them or sometimes I miss out a few words when they talk way to fast! So I'm a subtitle person too! Some people say subtitles are annoying and cover up a bit o picture but I find them fine, they don't take that much. I don't like reading as I watch, I know and understand a movie better that way. I may miss out bit of action but as long as I know what's going on or what the character's are feeling, then I'm pretty coo with it.
@yzakia (65)
I totally agree with you too, I'm good in English but i really don't understand when an american speak it in their accent. Subtitles in a movie really helps in order to understand every word they speak. :-)
That's true. Imagine if their is no subtitle and their is a scene which we could not understand, the next best option to do is to rewind the film and increase the volume again and again until we get the conversation. It's quite a hassle.
@cearn25 (3460)
I also watch movies with English subtitles even though the language used is also English. But somehow I want to train myself not to use subtitles so that I will learn from what they are saying and not to depend on subtitles. It is a good practice not to use subtitles because it will help you in the future in speaking and hearing Americans and other foreign people speak English.
For me, I think the best way to train ourselves in speaking English is by practicing it and have a conversation with an American/Englishman. As for movies, you are right with your idea but my point is on understanding the movie. Anyways, it is best to follow what suited you most.
@cearn25 (3460)
Yes it depends on the learner though on what methodology he or she wants to use in order to speak fluently in English. With movies, you are not just entertained but you also learn a lot.
@lexx87 (1711)
• Mexico
You will start to understand it when u talk with people in english more often . I preference without subtitle, sometimes the subtitles are not really good. But you will find the way to understand it better.
@beamer88 (4268)
I agree with you. Some subtitles are really terrible. There are a lot of misheard dialogs.
I think you're right coz' I'm not from an English language country. Accent affects the audio as well but what I really hate is the whispering part of the movie. It is also best to choose the best subtitle which fits the movie since many of them are terribly done.
hi sinnedsejatnom not me I am in the U S and we do spe ak E nglish here so I need no subtitles but if I were in the phillipines and the movie was not in E nglish I wou od need subtitles as I know no filipino language. I understand you do learn English too in your schools.
Yes we study English here and I understand the language well. But what's hard for me are the whispers. I value every word they speak so subtitles kinda help me. Anyways, we all have our own preference. :)
@Xansus (950)
• Bulgaria
Well since my native language is not English and most of the movies i watch are on English , i dont really mind subtitles , but well most of the time i go without them . Anyway i watch animes too and well i dont know japanese and then ofcourse i need the english subtitles to undarstand 99% of everything they say :) When watching movie with someone i rewatch it later if i dont get anything :D
That's the beauty if we have the movie in our computers. We can rewatch and enjoy the film repeatedly.
@jadoixa (1171)
for me i would prefer to watch a movie with subtitle if it is a nice and interesting movie in a language i cannot understand but if it is english it's okay with no subtitles because sometimes i kind of find it destructing..sometimes i cannot concentrate looking or watching on the picture because my attention goes to the words below..i tend to read only what the people is saying...
We all have different preference. Sometimes when we watch the movie again and the subtitle is present, our eyes tend to look at the subtitle even if we want to focus on the action. :)
@ASHUDEEP (1774)
yes it is good rule and want that it should be implement soon so that we can easily seen and understand foreign movies .i am Indian and to watch some english and chinese movie i used to see subtitles because i am not fully understand it because in movie all story is very imortant to understand it.
Foreign movies are usually shown using their own dialect like chinese movies, german, japanese, etc. So, it is important to have it on subtitle so that we can understand. Not all good movies are english movies, some are from other countries as well.
@jtj_hello (627)
I also prefer watching movies with subtitle even those in english. I don't have problem understanding english but there are words that are hard to understand because of the way it was delivered by the actor.
Some actors eat the words they're talking so its sometimes hard to hear or difficult to understand. Then that's what subtitles do, it helps us. :)
@vexxus (706)
Subtitle are very helpful in understanding the story of a movie very well, my friend do you mind telling me from where do you watch your movie? in computer or using a player? If a movie doesn't have a subtitle you can actually download the subtitle from the internet just make sure the title is correct, just drag the subtitle file into the player it will automatically integrated to the movie.
I buy DVD to watch movie but I need to make sure that the subtitle and what the actors are talking are synchronized and is right. I'm also watching movies in a computer, and yes, I'm actually downloading subtitles from the net in case the movie I downloaded is not hardsubbed. It really helps us in understanding the film better.
@lady1993 (13049)
I prefer watching a movie with subtitles too which is why I wait for dvds or download movies when the subtitles are out. Since sometimes Americans can speak so fast or softly that I don't get what they say and subtitles help me understand the movie more too. When there is none and I really like t watch the movie I just turn up the volume and listen well.