Obese third-grader taken from family: Did state go too far?

Headlines of online news agencies this morning http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57331936-10391704/obese-third-grader-taken-from-family-did-state-go-too-far/ "Social workers said the boy's mom wasn't doing enough to control his weight, putting him at an increased risk for diseases such as diabetes and hypertension." - seems that taking the kid out of his home and throwing him into foster care might just cause a bit more hypertension? So what's next should parents who smoke have their kids taken away because they are putting their kids at risk for cancer? What about parents who drink alcohol since their kids could grow up to be alcohol dependent also? Its also important to note that the doctor (Ludwig) who co-wrote a book supporting removing children from families for obesity has already come under fire for this happening once before and after the child was removed from the home it was discovered the child had a genetic disorder and was returned to the family. Others are saying that this county is now over reacting because they dropped the ball in the past. Also attorneys for the mom are saying that the foster mother is now complaining that she is having a hard time keeping up with all the appointments and the social workers are discussing providing her with extra help they never offered the mother.
@blue65packer (11835)
What I don't get out of this story is where is the father and is the mom obese herself? Alot of kids come from homes where the parents are also obese. Does this kid get any exercise? Does the mom try to get him active? These are some questions I would like to know! I do know taking this boy away from his home and putting him in a foster home is totally ridiculous! The state did cross the line! If this keeps up more situations like this will happen and shouldn't! This is nonsense!
Usually articles like this are pretty vague because a minor is involved so its hard to get a real look at everything that is going on. But as I posted above the kid was an honor roll student so the mom couldn't have been doing too bad of a job. I bet that might change with all that he is going through right now, I doubt he will maintain his grades.
@sid556 (31018)
oddly these people don't look at the grades of these kids which I think speaks volumes. My daughter is 17 and gets sick a lot. It's been a year and she has undergone more tests then you can imagine and so far we haven't found out what it is that causes her to be sick so often. Now they are suggesting putting her on medication for depression thinking that could be it even though she will tell them that she does not feel depressed or sad and that she loves school. Her grades are all A's and B's. I could be wrong on this but I would imagine that a kid that is seriously depressed would find it hard to maintain these grades.
@sid556 (31018)
i think it's a bit much. I realize sometimes obesity is sometimes caused by poor diet and yes, that could be the fault of the parents. Still, over-eating is not always the cause as you pointed out. I think that if it is determined by a doctor that the obesity is the result of poor eating habits that rather than remove the child from the home that they should educate the parents as well as the child. I honestly think that in some cases, removing the child from the family that he is comfortable with and loves would cause as much damage as the obesity.
I agree, can you imagine the mental state of the kid right now thinking he was taken from his family all because he was fat? I wonder how many of these social workers and doctors have kids and how well their parenting skills would stand up under scrutiny.
@sid556 (31018)
Exactly and what does removing the child do the the family as a whole? I love my girls and I tried to be the best parent possible but was I? I sure was not perfect nor excempt from advice and wisdom from those who'd already raised children. None of us are perfect and most of us love our children as much as life itself. I think it makes more sense to work with the family rather than break them apart. Being put down as a parent is hurtful and does nothing in the way of helping and the person doing the critisizing isn't always as right as they think they are. Every situation is different. I had a woman on here once that kept putting me down for how I handled a situation. She kept throwing in the word..."duh" on every point she would have handled the situation differently
@peavey (15865)
That makes me so mad. These "do-gooders" have no sense at all, and they think they know everything and what's best for everyone. No, they have no right to take the boy from his parents. What kind of person would just take a child away from his home and put him in foster care with no thought to the child's feelings? Cruel, that's what kind of person. They don't have the sense God gave a goose and that's being kind.
I think it's total ignorance that because someone writes a book with a degree they can use it as an excuse to justify their actions. Especially when its already been proven to have failed in the past.
@peavey (15865)
I agree!