What's your favorite Christmas memories?

Boise, Idaho
Do you have fond memories of Christmas when you were young? Do some years stand out? My favorite Christmas memory is when I had my first apartment and was making pretty good money. I made a big Christmas dinner and had my grandmother and mom over. After all the Christmas dinners they had fixed and decorated for I wanted to give them a wonderful one. I fixed all the things I knew they liked. Made it all festive and warm. It was a wonderful day. I felt so happy to do this for them. So what is your happiest Christmas memory?
Christmas is such a wonderful festival, I just get delighted when Christmas appears. I have lot of memories for Christmas and each Christmas has been special for me and iam sure this year is also gonna be my favorite Christmas. Well my most special memory of Christmas was the carel singing which we used to go in different villages and sing songs. Apart from that we used to make cribs and lot of people used to come and see the cribs, that was the most fun we had during Christmas days. I wish that Christmas would stay longer and i enjoy the joys of choirs each year.
We used to do Christmas caroling too. And I remember watching my cousin who was in the school choir singing in the capitol and coming down the stair in her white and gold robe along with the others. It was lovely.
@JenInTN (27564)
I am full of great Christmas memories. I think the one that stands out for me is after me and my grandmother were reunited we were having our first Christmas together in years and years. I put together an album of all the years we had been apart...me, my children growing. She had almost the exact same idea as me except it was pictures from the past. I didn't have any of those and they were precious to me. It was a great Christmas!
And I bet you hold them very dear. Thank the Gods for pictures!
@Graceekwenx (3163)
My most memorable Christmas memory was 6 years ago when we first started playing family games. The house was terribly noisy due to combined laughter of kids and adults alike. Hayyyyyyyyyy... I wonder what ill do to make this coming christmas special again.
I bet you come up with some grand ideas. Happy Holidays.
@RitterSport (2452)
• Lippstadt, Germany
I dont really have happy Christmas Memories, in fact Christmas was the time of the year when it seemed you sit in a ton of dynamite and wait for it to explode unter your butt. See my family of origin has high expectations about keeping traditions alive even when one family member definitely hates them, being part of the crowd means you have to budge no matter what also with the extended family being there for Christmas Day which was absolutely boring as they are boring people. As my situation has changed to the better in this year 2011 which comes to a close real fast now, I know that THIS coming Christmas will be the best Christmas ever. No family, no feeling like walking on a tightrope this time, no high expectations I cringe to meet, no bad temper from them just because I am DIFFERENT. Yeahhhhhhh. Looking forward to that for sure.
This is very sad to hear. Some people shouldn't have families. We are all individuals and should be respected as such. i am glad to hear you feel good about the coming year. it is their loss and if they have any heart at all it will sooner or later be aching. I believe there is good in everyone, with some you just have to look deeper.
@winterose (39918)
there are so many memories which I wrote all about in my book, but one that stands out was waiting to get up at midnight that was our tradition and not christmas morning, we opened up our presents and the family would order chinese food. Only one uncle and Aunt are still alive now.
That is sad. And they would wake you at midnight. How interesting. Thanks for sharing.
@winterose (39918)
yes that is the french canadian tradition, we begin christmas celebration at midnight, some people go to to midnight mass, other celebrate at home. We kids looked forward to it. We were really so excited we couldn't sleep we just pretended that we did.
hi celticeagle I think it was when my mon and husband were alive and Lisa rose and Robbie were toddlers. we made Christmas dinner one year for my mom and sister and the next they had us to their house for dinner. We had a ball with all the fixings and turkey and pies and all. it was a fun time and watching the children unwrap gifts was the best part of it then going to church services and singing in the choir. those were good years.so much has changed and now sometimes at Christmas I get sad and think of all the other times and wish things were just a little different then remember all that I am grateful for and its okay.life changes and you change with it.
THings sure do change. I don't like it much either. It is sort of sad to look back. But nice to have such memories.
@ebuscat (5949)
For me nothings because we don't celebrate that kind of pagan form of worship.
Then why did you answer?
@bjc66bjc (6745)
Hi celtic..my favorite christmas memory when I was young is this: I am the oldest of 6 siblings..when we were all small/young for Christmas my mother use to make us all a shoe box of Christmas goodies...oranges, apples, grapes and lots of christmas candy...each one of us took so much pride in owning our own goody box...That way we were not have to continue asking for this or that..those goodies would normally last during the holiday and we had fun exchanging stuff...Loved those times....
Mmm fruit. Nice to have goodies any time.
@ardoy0731 (6865)
I always have a memorable Christmas cause we always have family gathering during holidays.We are all happy and it is a great bonding time with my family.
That sounds lovely. I used to have the same thing when I was younger.
@marie2052 (3697)
I will never forget the one year in all my life that I got a Christmas gift from my grandparents. My grandparents were poor as church mice. The only way they made money was by selling baled hay, or wheat, or raising a pig and cow to have slaughtered to have meat. they had 11 children during the depression years. Nine lived. They were a very close knit family and church was a regular. You had to be dying before Grandpa would let you not miss church. My parents came down to my grandparents farm one year to spend Christmas with them. My grandparents had went to church the previous week of us coming down and the little tiny church in the middle of the country of Missouri was given a large box of miniature bibles and a whole bunch of pencils. I will never forget when I got up Christmas morning my Grandma handing me this miniature Bible (1958)and 2 pencils. She had taken just enough to give to each of the grandchildren. I still have mine to this day. Used the pencils but still have my mini bible. It probably meant as much to me then and now as a child today getting a video game or cell phone. That meant so much to have a simple Christmas without the expectations of getting anything from them.
Makes it so much more special.
@lilaclady (28240)
All my best memories of Christmas is just being with my parents, they are gone now and it is Christmas that I miss them the most, Christmas was alwys the happiest time in house they were the best day of all...we should all cherish our Christmases with our parents while we have them...
Same with me. I miss my grandma on the holidays cause everything was done at her house. All the family too.
@bunnybon7 (37707)
• Holiday, Florida
My late husbands proposal. on xmas eve he gave me a little box with a beautiful set of rings in it and said, Will you marry me? this is your xmas present woman. of course i said yes and its the best xmas i ever had.
How very romantic and sweet. Nice memory to have.