Book of the Month Clubs

Have you ever been a part of a "book of the month" club? I want to say when I was little my Mother had me signed up for one for a short time. I rarely hear of anyone joining such a club no days. Do you currently belong to one? What do you like about being in a club like that?
• Marion, Kansas
The book clubs are still out there. The nice thing is that now if you want to refuse a selection you can do it from your e mail. You never have to receive a book you do not want. They can be so specialized as well. I just find that I would rather check out books from the library and save that expense.
@jillhill (37354)
I belonged to one a long time ago before I had email and sometimes I would forget to either say I didn't want it or send it back. I ended up with a whole bunch of books! I do love books but they started taking over my house! LOL....I only belonged for a year or so.
That's how I roll too. If there's a book I want to read I don't bother buying it I just borrow it from the library. But if it's a book I'd want for my own collection to have constant access to I'll try to locate one to buy.
• Marion, Kansas
I have found that if a book is out of print I can get it at A Libris.com, usually at a good deal.
@vivasuzi (4126)
As a kid, I think so! But as an adult, nope. I like to read, I really do, but I find that I just don't have time for it. If I joined a club, I'd probably feel pressured to read before the month was up and not enjoy it as much. But on the other hand, it's good to introduce you to books you may not have tried in the first place! I will always encourage my kids to read, but I don't know if I'd do a formal book club. I just have planned to buy them books every year at their birthday and christmas so they will have a collection. Kids like to read the same books over and over so that will give them plenty to do.
And you can find books for kids really cheap second hand as well. Many are from series of books my kids have mentioned they had at school and I pay a fraction of the price usually as cheap as ten for a dollar at my local salvation army.
@dragon54u (31350)
My mom signed me up, too, for a club that sent me a biography each month. I loved those books! Later in life I signed up for a book club but quickly cancelled because as much as I love books, having dozens of them to move every time I changed residences was more trouble than it was worth and I couldn't afford the money anyway. I let my son join a military book club when he was young and it did him a lot of good, provided hours of entertainment and honed his reading skills. Book clubs are a good thing. I'm sure they'll soon start offering discount downloads to Kindles and such.
There are free kindle downloads I've seen offered on freebie sites. I don't read enough to want to invest in a kindle plus I'd want something more tangable...er old school and without batteries we already have enough stuff with batteries in it.
I do not! I think this would be awesome though! The only problem I could think of is what if you start reading the book and you really really dislike it? Do you still have to continue reading it with the group?
I have no idea I was referring to the idea of belonging to a subscription like service that sends you books every month.
@hvedra (1623)
I've belonged to a couple in the past which were good but they weren't the bargain basement end of the market. One specialised in historical books. I left that in the end because they were including a lot of historical fiction and modern history (mostly military) and not the kind of books I really wanted to read. They started out really specialist and went more and more mainstream. Okay I understand they need to make money but they were selling books I could buy anywhere (including discount outlets). Now I don't buy very many new books at all. I buy most of my books pre-owned because new ones can be very expensive. I also like that I'll take a chance on an author or topic I'm not familiar with when the book is cheap. I've discovered some interesting books that way!
I agree that's why I would rather borrow them from the library and buy them if I really want to keep them, usually a reference type book. If the price is cheap enough I like you might want to risk buying it like I buy the Kohls Cares cooking books from Kohl's they are $5 and I enjoy reading them. The kids books on the other hand I buy at Salvation Army usually 10 for a dollar... that way I don't have to worry about them being wrecked or charged fines because we can't find it.
@asyria51 (2870)
I have never been a book of the month club member. I did belong to a movie club for about a year, and then realized that I can rent for free from the library and then got netflix. i did not need to spend that extra money on movies that will just gather dust.
We never did a movie club. But I agree there are cheaper alternatives to do like netflix or borrowing from the library.
@saundyl (9698)
I was part of a science fiction and fantasy one for a while. I made this mistake of filling out a wish list online thinking i could order them down the line and they started sending one off the list each month. It frustrated me because that wasnt what i was wanting to happen.
@jillhill (37354)
I did that along time ago. It was fun for a while but after a while it got to be too much and I ended up with a bunch of books I later had to dispose of because I got a collection that was way too big. The benefit was that I donated the books to our local library that resells them and buys new books for the library.