Cluttter Takes Over

I am going to help a friend who likes to keep everything clean today as she is planning to have a Christmas party at her home. As I was thinking about it, I was wondering if others out there keep things like she does or not. She keeps all her kids pictures that they make, cards, etc. She basically keeps everything. I personally throw much of this stuff away. I have a few things that my kids made in school but not much of it. I don't like clutter most of the time so I try to keep the paper mess under control as well. What about you? Do you keep a lot of stuff or do you have a lot of clutter around your house or do you have a place for the stuff that you keep and is it always in it's place?
My daughter writes beautiful letters that she will draw on and give to people. I swear she should write for a card company. I take all of them that she makes for me and frame them in frames and they are on my wall. I have a scrap book for anything else I wanted to keep that she made. After that I get rid of stuff that I could consider clutter. I don't like mice and don't want to give them any places in my home to breed.
Maybe she could do something for a card company to make a little extra money. I think that it is important to keep some of the items that our kids make but there can be an extreme as well.
@jillhill (37383)
I do keep alot.....then go on a binge where I start pitching or giving things away. I have the problem where people keep givnig me things....seriously....and when they do I have a hard time saying no.....and I should! But lately I have been on a cleaning, and giving binge in fact today I am tackling my closet. The rest of my house however is usually everything is in its place.
It sounds like you are good about getting rid of things though. I think that it is okay to keep some stuff, but there comes a point that we have to realize that we can't keep everything because it just becomes clutter!
@stephcjh (32327)
I hate clutter. I constantly go through my stuff and get rid of things or throw them out because I cannot stand clutter of any kind. All of my stuff is in its place.
I try to have "managed clutter", which is really just a balance of keeping things, such as the things that my children make for me, but not keeping every little thing. The trick (at least for me) is to organize the clutter, so it does not look that bad. It is difficult to have "everything in its place" with little ones running around, although I do know some people that manage it - I often wonder whether or not they ever just play and have fun - which is why I like the concept of "organized clutter".
@megamatt (14327)
Actually, if things were cleaned completely, I would go absolutely and utterly insane beyond all belief. I wouldn't know where anything was if it was put in its proper place. Clutter helps me concentrate just a little bit. Granted, there are a lot of times where even I really have my limits and there is a certain organized method to the disorganized nature of my things. I think that there isn't too much but if something is cluttered, it serves its own purposes. If something is too organized though, it stifles my creativity. It causes my thinking to grow too stagnate and it is going to be rather too boring, too bland, just times where my brain won't work. I need to be partially disorganized to be properly organized.
@jtomao (1)
At the age of 47 I can now freely admit that I am a clutter-bug. This has caused numerous fights and stressful situations with my husband. With that being said, I would like to help some non-clutter-bugs to understand what I personally go through when cleaning out. Every single item I see or touch the following list of questions run through my head; will I need this? If I throw it away how much will it cost to replace if I do need it? Can I recycle it? Can I donate it? Can I sell it? Can I re-use it? Then once I pick what to do with it I start to think of the emotional attachment to the item. No, I don't think of it as feeling but, awhhh that was on Grandma's table every time we visisted or my Dad saved all these things for 40+ years how can I now get rid of them? It does help to have someone stand over me, usually my sister, saying something like Do you really need this? Or by validating my feelings of attachment, sighing over it then tossing it. If someone reading this is the helper please just acknowledge that it can be "painful" or emotionally difficult to toss that item, but be encourageing.
@JenInTN (27565)
I'm like you...I have certain things but everything else...I send to her dad's. He wants to save everything. I always called him a pack rat because he saved so much stuff. I have to give him credit...he does file stuff and has it in a place but goodness...I like special things but not everything..lol.