Jersey and its Bad Roads

Example of Unhappy NJ Drivings - One of the bad things about driving in New Jersey is getting the Dickens out of Newark Liberty International Airport when picking up someone visiting you or returning from a vacation! 

I have been through this as child passenger, but my late Vatti knew how to get ourselves onto Route 21 on our way back home in Clifton! On one of the trips, one of Muetti's friends had success with it while we visited her and easily got us on the Turnpike without a problem. 

Navigating what is one of the many drivers' nightmares of Jersey takes a lot of education.
@talfonso (246)
As a former New Jerseyan, I have to admit that reading horror story after horror story of traffic makes me miss Jersey more. I was never asked what roads in New Jersey get my goat In fact, I was too young to know how rough or congested the roads in North Jersey are! (I moved to Florida at age 10 and have been living here since, but I want to get back!) I believe that going from my hometown of Clifton to Jersey City to visit a Filipino eatery does it as worst road for me, regarding that part of Route 1/9 where we exit from Route 3 East in North Bergen. High traffic area and bumpy road, I saw in Jersey girlhood. My family used it as part of the way to the Holland Tunnel to the City and back and back again. It was torture, but it made memories. So which roads top the list of your Jersey pet peeves or headaches and why? Please provide as much detail as you can about your personal experiences!
@burrito88 (2779)
This is not about Jersey roads, but it makes me think about when I live in Delaware. They had great highways in Delaware and what made them look better was to comapre them to Maryland. There were places where you were on a 4 lane highway in Delaware and suddenly it turned into a run down 2 lane road when you crossed the border. And Delaware also had no sales tax.
@talfonso (246)
Nice comments, but have you traveled on I-95 west of the I-295 interchange? Money-wise it's a bear because you have to pay like $4 for the entire road, and it's just around 10 miles for that! Why? It's the Delaware Turnpike, for heaven's sake! Oh, and speaking of toll roads, I dare you to travel north on the that stretch of I-95 until you reach I-295, continue onto I-295, see the signs around its interchanges with US 13/40 and Delaware State Route 9 (overpasses and underpasses). You'll see big green signs (BGS's) containing strange, lozenge-like, six-sided, green-and-white shapes with the big "TP" in the middle. Those are the trailblazers so another toll road. That's right, I'm talking about the signs of another turnpike - the New Jersey Turnpike, that is. Jersey lovers (that's me), haters, and those who have love-hate relationships with it recognize them. Feeling sick to your stomach approaching the Delaware Memorial Bridge? Rest assure that New Jersey's not the only place to see them! Oh, and look out for more out-of-New-Jersey NJTP trailblazers in the future, particularly in eastern Pennsylvania. Because of its turnpike's new interchange with I-95, brace yourself for sightings! (There's already a sighting near the interchange where the I-76 part of the Penna Turnpike ends and the I-276 part of it begins, traveling eastbound, perhaps either done in error or in preparation for the new interchange.)
@burrito88 (2779)
I went to the University of Delaware during the late 70's. Part of the stretch of 95 through Delaware was and maybe still is the Delaware Turnpike. With Interstate highways there were rules on tolls whereby if a state spent a certain percentage of the money to build an Interstate, they were allowed to charge tolls on the road. However, when the road was paid for, the tolls booths were to come down. I remember there was a time when Delaware paid off 95 and removed their toll booth. Uop until then, I used to take back roads around the Delaware toll booth to get to Maryland even though the toll wasn't that high at the time. I don't know when they put the toll booths back but I think they were there in mid-90's. I know Delaware also built a north-south toll road (route 1?). I used to drive through Delaware during the mid-90's going between Georgia and NJ. For the most part, I used to bypass the tolls in Delaware and Maryland by taking route 301. If I remember correctly, there was a toll at the Delaware-MD border and another in MD at the Schuylkill River bridge. Another thing about Interstates, the area around Philadelphia was the last part of the originally designed Interstate system completed. Because the Feds paid for the construction of 95, PA was not allowed to connect 95 to the Turnpike which made things inconvenient going from one road to the other. They had to get special permission to build an Interchange. There was also talk at one point of swapping the highway numbers between 95 and 295. The intent was to detour north south traffic away from Philadelphia. You can thank Christie Whitman for the condition of NJ's roads. When she was governor she arbitrarily lowered property taxes without cutting spending or looking for other income. The result was the need to float bond issues to construct roads. After she left office, the interest on the bonds was eating up all of the states road funds. That forced NJ to merge all the authorities of all three toll roads to cut costs and to raise tolls. They've also been talking about tolling route 80 as has Pennsylvania. Part of the problem with NJ's road money is that they never raised the tax on gasoline the way other states did. By the time they realized the problem,tax became a four letter word. Nobody wants to bite the bullets and raise the taxes because they know they won't get re-elected.