Surpricing endings - do you like them or not?

@Porcospino (16435)
Denmark
Do you like books with surpricing endings or do you prefer books where you are able to put the clues together and guess how the story ends? Why? I love surpricing endings. Sometimes I think that I have figured everything out, but when I read the last chapters I suddenly discover that I totally misunderstood the story. because things aren't the way that they seemed. I love it when the author is able to surprice me that way. One of the novels that I especially liked was "After the hole" by Guy Burt, because I never guessed the real story. I also love the short stories by O Henry. In some of his stories I am able to guess the endings, but the best stories are the ones that surprice me.
• Calgary, Alberta
I have both and good experiences with surprise endings and twists so I think it depends in the execution because there will be times where you will prefer a predictable ending over a surprise one. It should be a surprise ending that can be justified not a surprise ending created by the writer for the sake of a surprise ending. You know that a surprise ending can make or break a story.
@Porcospino (16435)
• Denmark
Yes, a bad surprice ending can destroy a story, it has to be a believable ending, not an ending that comes out of nowhere. I liked "I then there were none" by Agatha Christie because the ending was not unrealistic and at the same thing it was something that I would never have guessed. If the author able to handle a surpricing ending the right way, it often becomes a great story and I really enjoy that kind of stories. For me a bad suprice ending would be an ending where the author suddenly introduces a new character or something like that in last chapters and there is no belivable link between the ending and the rest of the story.
• Calgary, Alberta
Its not a book, not a movie, I just experiencethe worst surprize ending yesterday. but I just want to kill a bunch of talent search Reality show Judges for making the Fan Favorite, Front Runner,The most likable person, most talented person, the contestant with the best performance, the contestant with the highest fan base in the history of the show to lose for the 2nd time. They make the most hated contestant who is regularly in the bottom 2, who is ghetto,trashy, nasty and rude win. The winner leaked information at twitter while the show is not aired yet, so she is disqualified, Its the first time a reality showendingis reshooted, So to replace thatnasty winner, Its 2nd most hated contestant who is also in the bottom 2 3times, who became the winner.the judges dont want the fan favorite to fin because they wanted a Underdog,rise from the Ashes storyline,They wanted the most beloved contestant to be a runner up again.
@Porcospino (16435)
• Denmark
That sounds like a really bad surprice. What kind of reality show is it? It is a local show from your country or one of the international ones? I haven't seen any reality shows recently, but when the new episodes of X-factor starts in 2012 I plan on watching it again. Last year a very young singer won the show. I don't think that she was the best, but many young people voted for her. The other one contestant was actually a better singer, but like that in the situation you described it isn't always the best person who wins
Surprise endings can be excellent, at least when they're executed well. If the ending just literally comes out of nowhere and has no way to make it believably tie in with the rest of the story, it just makes me a little angry because it was obvious the author failed at making a successful surprise for the ending.
@Porcospino (16435)
• Denmark
That is a good point. There has to be some kind of connection between the surprice and the rest of the story, if the ending comes out of nowhere can annoying instead of interesting. I like surpricing endings where the clues are there during the rest of book, but I don't see them because don't interpret them the right way. The story has to be believable, but I love to get surpriced if it is done the "right" way.
Yes, exactly! I love it when the surprise ending is done well, so that I can go through and read the book again and find all the clues that hint to it. It offers great re-read value.
I like surprising endings only if the plot makes them posible. Even with open endings, when the reader has to imagine how it ends, there must be enough clues so as to have a path that will lead us to a sort of end. Surprising endings are not really so, as the writer must give the hints so that we can figure it out. It it is hidden, we miss it and we go back many times to check how did we miss them. I love that, if it´´s well written.
@Porcospino (16435)
• Denmark
I also love stories where the clues are hidden in the story. In that kind of story the ending comes as a surprice. because you didn't see the clues or you saw them but you didn't interpret them the right way. It is preasure to read that kind of story. I love love stories where I think that I have figured everything out and then in the last chapter I discover that I didn't understand anything at all because I looked at the story from the wrong perspective.
@Aja103654 (5663)
I prefer surprising endings. I can't imagine why anyone would not like surprising endings Books are more enjoyable when you have to read it and guess how it will end. When you guessed the ending right, 'ah well, how predictible' but when you guessed wrong, 'oh, didn't expect that' then laugh.
@Porcospino (16435)
• Denmark
It was an article that I read that inspired me start this discussion. The article was called something like "Not everyone likes surprice endings" and it was written in the article that some people don't like to be surpriced, because they feel good when they are able to predict how a story ends. It is good for their self esteem when they are able to predict how the story ends. This is a new idea for me, I thought everyone liked surprice endings, but I guess that is not the case
I like surprising endings, that's the main reason why I like reading books. I want to be jaw dropped surprised (does that make sense ) I loathe predictable story. Why would I read it if I can just close my eyes and read the ending myself
@Porcospino (16435)
• Denmark
I don't like predictable stories either. It is very nice when an author is able to surprice me and suddenly turn the story around when I least expect it. Some time ago I read a collection of short stories written by famous author and I was very disappointed in those stories, because not single story surpriced me and I was able to guess the endings of most of the stories. Some of the stories were okay, but they weren't as interestng as stories that are able to surprice me.
@thatgirl13 (7307)
• South Korea
I like books with surprising endings too. the predictable ones are just a waste of money and time I feel.
@Porcospino (16435)
• Denmark
I get a little disappointed if the book is too predictable. I like to be surpriced and I like books where the author is able to surprice me and turn the story around in a way that I don't expect. I admire authors who write that way and I hope that can learn to do the same thing when I write.