Recycling isn't tin cans anymore!

We know it is always preferred to recycle an item then let it end up in a land fill near you. Yesterday, tin cans were recycled. Today, we recycle computers, ovens, cars, and pacemakers. You read me right. They are recycling pacemakers. After the original American owner of the pacemaker is dead, they remove the gadget from his or her body for work in a new person who lives in the third world. It is said that the pacemaker is given a good and proper cleaning before insertion into the new owner. 'Implantation of donated permanent pacemakers can not only save lives, but also improve quality of life of needy poor patients,' American Journal of Cardiology's researchers wrote up in the American Journal of Cardiology. Yes, there is major squick and ick to be had here. However, the receivers of donated pacemakers would have died within weeks or months of their maladies, and at 4,000 Euros a new pacemaker is well out of reach of your average third world patient.
• Marion, Kansas
I think this is very promising and uplifting. I do not think it is any more icky than an organ transplant. We still have so many advantages here, even in hard times.
I very much agree with you. However, these used pacemakers, by not going into the bin and saving a second life is incredible.
• Marion, Kansas
I so agree with you. As a society we throw way too many things away that can be used.
There is rebellion starting against that. This is a case in point
@ElicBxn (60053)
and they put new batteries in them too... hey, all is good!
The Energizer Bunny says it's all good
@Dinoman90 (225)
• Denmark
How interesting and good news if you ask me! I actually didn't ick at your post, I think it's great that we find more and more ways to help people in less fortunate situations. I wonder what they'll recycle in the future?
The big issue I see come the future with the weather changing will be water. I believe that toilet to tap will become ubiquitous as fresh waters have inhabitants we need to consider. Humans are nothing but little bags of water, why not make sure they stay in cycle? As for solid waste, that can be dried, disinfected, and become valuable for the growing of plants we need to eat. Before anyone squeals about viruses, most of them are just exceedingly vulnerable once outside of the host. In the future, the rest of the nasties will be filtered out.
I'm all for it if it indeed saves lives. I just hope they make sure that these pace markers are in good working order before they pass it on to these 3rd world countries. I can definitely see these people being taken advantage of by money hungry business men.
The pacemakers I'm writing about are processed by a charity. I'm sure they change out the battery in the buggers before they implant.