Sec 8 makes it much harder to move.

I went for a moving packet to take to the landlord of the new place. Come to find out we need to submit a paper from me to the landlord stating why I am moving. Then he has to sign it saying the rent is paid up to date. This paper has to be submitted 45 days in advance to me moving. My 30 day notice needs to say Jan 31st. so,this will make me moving in Feb 1st. There will be a few landlords not willing to wait that long to rent a place. I am blessed to have the help for sure. But,god knows I wish I could pay my own rent.
That's great that you will have what you need to move. I must be confused about section 8. I was under the impression that section 8 is only available to people with dependent children. I tried to get it once and I was told I couldn't get it because I had no dependent children. With KK away from home and then with her going to be on her own when she gets out I'm wondering how that will work? I never could get help when I needed it. I got a measly $10 in food stamps. I'm lucky now because I live with family. Anyway Sharon, I'm glad that you will get everything settled.
I have a voucher for a two bedroom and being she went to school. I can downsize to a one bedroom and keep my voucher. There are a lot of programs and with some you need to have kids. With mine you need to be poor. LOL
I guess our section 8 is just for kids... I was never referred for any help. I did get into a personal care home when I was going to be homeless though.. the DFCS did help me find a place to go... that is the person I call Mama Jo.. she is the one that took me in for 7 months. I'm poor... but not so poor when you consider i live with my family and we sort of share expenses. I buy the food and my son in law does everything else.. and if I have to I help out with the water bill or the TV bill. We were without TV for 2 weeks.. so I put in $40 toward it so we could get it turned back on.
I think for a month I will be without cable when I move. The security deposit is $950 and that I need to pay before moving. Ten the moving truck and then my first months rent. This is why I am just saving my little bit of avon money right now.
@Dominique25 (9476)
It does seem there is a lot involved in moving with sec 8. How does it work to qualify for section 8? I have always been interested in knowing if we actually qualify for something like this. I just never really knew much about it because there isn't a whole lot that tells about it.
Basically you need to have low income to be illegible where i live.
That kinda stinks. I really hate the way these government organizations try to control people. We don't have "Section 8" up here in Canada, but we have housing through provincial disability support programs. I am paying somewhat high rent NOT to be in one of those houses, but let me tell you, a few extra dollars in rent is a challenge, but worth not being a subject of the fascist state that is the support system.
That is why I want so bad to find a good way to support myself. I am tired of all the mess I have to go through. But,being I need them I will calm down and not complain about it too much. If it were gone tomorrow I would be homeless because there is no way I am living with anyone. I need to always have my own place..
We all want to do our own thing. Section 8 does make things difficult. They need so much paper work and we have to do it all annually. Luckily we don't have to varify everything with paperwork. Just sign papers so they can receive information from different places. Ugh! What a hassle.
@Fortunata (1137)
That is good that you are getting help for your move. 45 days, wow, that is a long time to submit a paper. I'm glad you found a new landlord.
I think these are the some of the unwanted laws and regulations which we have in our country. It is very difficult to get approved for such things. We have to really behind it to get approved. Do you think that these are unwanted laws and regulations ?
@winterose (39932)
I wish you well. I hope that I don't have too much trouble getting my low rental. I still have not had any word from them yet.
I think that the reason that Section 8 does make it difficult to move is because of the fact that there are a lot of expenses that they have when the tenants that they are helping move from one place to another. Therefore, it is a lot easier for them to have people stay in one home for a while. With that said, for people that aren't able to afford a place of their own, having this as an option for assistance is a great resource.
I'm about to try to move 2 hours away and I have no idea how I'm going to manage that with Section 8.