I helped a diabetic yesterday

@dragon54u (31617)
I was shopping for Christmas presents for my dad and stepmom--I was delighted that Sears had carts, it let me take my time; I usually rush through and try to get things done before my back starts to scream and if I have a cart my back doesn't hurt so badly. Anyway, I heard an elderly lady say to her husband, "we're going to have to stop and go get something to eat. I'm starting to fade in and out." I asked her if she was diabetic and she said yes so I asked her if a piece of candy would help. Yes, it would! So I took out a piece of candy and gave it to her and she said that would help immensely until they could stop at a restaurant in the mall and have a bite to eat. I always carry candy in my purse but it was mostly for children who whiney. I never thought that it would be useful to a person with an illness. I also carry bandaids, and tissues which have been used to wipe many small runny noses. Have you had a chance to help someone lately? I'm so glad that I thought of that candy and that the elderly couples' shopping trip wasn't ruined.
dragon54u, I would go to your computer and hug and kiss you if I could. You have made me and so many others on here very proud. You're actions saved that persons life, and they are alive today because of your smart thinking. Well done. My brother, and I think I told you about him, he was a Type 1 Diabetic, and he had gone low several times. One of those times cost him his life. I had wished that someone like you were around when he had gone low because he might still be here today if someone had just been there for him. You are that woman's hero, and yes, you were right to use that candy to get her out of her unconscious state. What kind of candy did you use if you don't mind me asking?
For the record, you made me happy today by telling me this, thank you. It makes me believe that there are still good people in this world.
It really is because so often you hear nothing but bad news, and it's great to hear some good news here and there. Well, those Creme Savers worked. Actually, when they faint, it usually means that they are going to become unconscious within a matter of seconds or minutes. If she doesn't remember fainting or what happened afterwards, then that means she was becoming unconscious. It happened to my brother quite a few times. They often don't know what happening to them when they are in a state like that.
@elitess (5072)
• Ipswich, England
Hello my dear dragon. It is a nice feeling when real person in need really get help from us, and not just those "so called beggars" that if you catch the right moment you might end up spotting them with their stack of money, sometimes much more then you own at the given time. But what you managed to do is for a real person in need. Also for people with anaemia you could / should have a metal pin or something to help them if they have a crisis.
@dragon54u (31617)
There isn't much anemia here in the U.S. but diabetes is rampant. Even more children are diabetic than there were ten years ago. I didn't know about the pin! But I do carry safety pins in case someone--or me--needs them. Also a few paper clips (I don't know why), string and a pocket knife. I have no idea why I feel the need to carry such things--well, everyone needs a pocket knife!--but I don't feel complete without them.
@Masihi (4228)
You did well in helping the couple, congrats Believe it or not, but half my purse is a first-aid kit, and a pretty good-stocked it with gauze strips and everything. I don't use makeup or any other girly stuff, so I got this empty partition that is put to use. I always like to be prepared, ever since my daughter had a really bad cut, and I was lucky that I had a well-stocked full-size first aid kitbag that I keep in our living room and I always been diligent in that area ever since. Scared the living daylights out of me!
@dragon54u (31617)
I don't do the girlie stuff either! If they don't like my natural looks, that's their problem! You are like me, better to be prepared and handle a situation well than be caught unawares. I feel insecure if I'm not ready for anything and it often pays off.
@derek_a (10902)
I tend to carry around bandais etc. In the UK we call them plasters.. Knowing me I will usually manage to cut my finger or something if I don't have any with me. I don't often hear people talking about illnesses like diabetes, but would help if I could if I did hear such a conversation. It sounds as if you are well prepared when you go out somewhere. My wife tends to be that way, and I think sometimes that I have picked up some of her better habits of doing this. _Derek
@dragon54u (31617)
Well, women tend to think of "what if?" while men think of just the near future in everyday thoughts. It's because we are programmed that way since we're the ones that have the babies, while men are programmed to be concerned with practical things like food, shelter and protection. That's just the way it is! I don't think you people have as much diabetes as we do here in the U.S. 8.3% of us here have some form of it and they figure that's a low number as so many are undiagnosed. I doubt you carry a purse so I won't advise you to carry candy but I'm glad your wife does.
@stephcjh (32328)
That is wonderful that you were able to help them out like that. I helped out with the grandbaby. I bought her some fever/pain medication.
@dragon54u (31617)
Good for you! It's difficult and stressful to care for a sick child and when someone steps in and runs an errand for us it's priceless. I well remember tending to my sick children with no one to help--I would love to have had someone like you to take some of the burden as you did.
@sid556 (31005)
How lucky for them! I used to carry all those things in my purse when my kids were little but I never give it a thought anymore. I help people any time I am able and see a need. I have to say that it's been a while since I've felt that I really did something so helpful that I felt good in my heart about it. The other day a handicapped man was in front of me in line. He dropped a dime and looked at me and said "It's yours. It hurts me too much to bend down there for it." I bent down and picked it up and handed it to him and said "I can't let you just throw this away. Money is too hard to come by these days." He chuckled and thanked me saying it was the kindest thing someone had done for him in a while. I did not walk away feeling as if I did some great deed. I felt sad that picking up a dime for him was the kindest thing someone had done for him in a while but then again...it put a smile on his face so I guess it was good in a lame round about way.
@dragon54u (31617)
That's why it's so important to be nice to everyone--I know there are many people like that man who rarely get a kind word from anyone. A smile or a small consideration really makes their day and brightens their life. You did do something really great, you brightened a lonely person's life! Keep up the good work!
@bunnybon7 (36504)
• Holiday, Florida
how smart and sweet of you. i carry candy and tissues and bandaids and even safety pins and more things in my purse for emergency. i have low blood sugar at times and the doctor recommended the candy. i probably would not have thought of it though when i heard that. im not sure. but you made me think i may have an opertunity to help some day thanks
@dragon54u (31617)
Any time we can help someone else it's a gift to God as well as ourselves.
@Chevee (5915)
Wonderful. You were at the right place at the right time. First I give honor to God. He was the one that had you there. You did your good deed for today. I often ask God what can I do for you today. I want to be a blessing to someone everyday, that is my petition to God. And you fulfilled one today. Be blessed and have a very Merry Christmas.
@dragon54u (31617)
You're right--I was going to go sooner but couldn't get motivated and a good thing or I would have missed her. I was going to go to Sears later but felt I should go then. God does work through us and I try to help Him every way I can by being prepared to help. It makes me feel that my life is worth something when I can help someone. I try to everyday, even if it's only to bring a smile to one of my online friends. I hope you have a wonderful, blessed Christmas!
You are really a person who finds it a pleasure to help others.Laying aside the candy that is prepared for children,you always take band-aids and tissues with you for emergency needs.How lucky the elderly lady was!she met you.I wonder if the lady took an overdose of the medicine that cures the diabetes so that she had lower blood sugar.
@dragon54u (31617)
I'm thinking that she had it under control for so long that she just didn't take precautions like carrying something sweet or a piece of fruit. Yes, I do take pleasure in helping people--it helps to validate my life and earn my place on this earth.
It is a kind-hearted action which reflects your outlook on life.
@RitterSport (2452)
• Lippstadt, Germany
Dear dragon54u as a fellow diabetic I say thank you thank you and thank you some more for helping this woman out. I am diabetic for 6 years now and when I was diagnosed I first was very very cautious to always have some sugary stuff with me for emergencies. But I saw I never needed that stuff and got lenient with it, shame on me. I have a commute of more than 3 hours home and one day I really felt as if I am going into low blood sugar. It starts different for everyone, for me it starts with nausea and restlessness at the same time. I didnt have anything with me and was on a train so I asked the train personnel for help and - oh how embarrassing - they called out, if a doctor is on the train please get to compartment 9. That was for my rescue. There was a doctor who measured BP and glucose which still was fairly okay and they even wanted to call an ambulance for the next stop which was my new hometown and I convinced them my husband would pick me up by car so no worries and I monitor and go to the ER if I wont get better. I was so thankful for the help I got then.
@dragon54u (31617)
Thank God there was a doctor on that train willing to help! I hope you're more careful now. I never really thought about diabetics when I kept my purse stocked with candy but now I'll be sure there is definitely some non-sugarless candy always at hand. Diabetes is becoming so prevalent now but nobody should have to die or go to the hospital because of a low-sugar incident. We can all be prepared to help, whatever the emergency is. What a horribly long commute! But you're lucky to have trains--in the US we tore up most of our tracks in the 50's and now a lot of us with any sense are pretty sorry the country did so.
• Lippstadt, Germany
yes I also was thankful the doctor was on the train when that happened to me. Now I have liquid sugar with me so nothing can happen to me any more. I just thought that with this slight diabetes nothing would ever happen to me but I see on weekends when I am home like now, and am online I tend to forget to eat and then I sense its a tad late again so off to the kitchen I go.
@pergammano (7755)
You really are an "angel in disguise!" The fierce "dragon" is really a softy, under that facade..LOL! No, I am not prepared like you! It is so long since I have had my "paramedic's" training (1986) that I cannot remember the treatment for diabetics....and determining whether they are "hypo" or "hyper", as the treatment is different! In B.C., most of our large malls (all I think) have First Aid rooms, I appraise myself of where they are located, and can either get them to it...or get there myself to alert for the need of help! Good on you, dragon...a true GREAT samaritan!
@dragon54u (31617)
We don't have first aid stations here, at least not anywhere I know of. You just holler for someone to call "911", our generic emergency number and hope someone does it while they crowd around whatever is going on. I have no idea about hypo or hyper but I know there are different requirements for different people which is why I asked her if it would help. I hope everyone will carry a piece of candy with them for things like this and maybe some other things, too. Lots of people need help but assume no one will help them if they ask. I hope that the lady tells others so they'll be prepared, too, to help when needed.
Truly a great soul...dearest dragon! The world is a BETTER place with souls like you. You have given us myLotters a tutorial..in simple, safe manners in which to contribute to a better world!
@MsTickle (24962)
That was handy of you dragon....thoughtful, clever and so very kind too. I had a job taking my elderly clients to see the eye specialist on Friday. We've had lots of rain and I ended up losing control of the car on the slippery, muddy road and putting us in a ditch. It was okay though and we managed to be on time and then they were able to do their last minute Christmas shopping. Not so big a helping hand as yours though. Well done you.
@dragon54u (31617)
Wow, scary!! I'm so glad everyone was alright and you got the appointment and shopping done. How would they have shopped if not for you? You helped bring a little light to their lives and brighten their holiday. You were making an intentional effort while I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Keep up the good work! Few people are blessed to have jobs that make such a difference in peoples' lives, it must be very fulfilling. Happy Christmas!
@KrauseHome (35034)
For me, candy does help, but since I am insulin Diabetic it really depends on how low my sugar level is if that is quick enough. I can remember about a yr. or two ago being somewhere and my sugar level crashing and luckily we were within minutes of Orange Julius so my husband could get me a small julius. Most of the time now I try carrying juice, and sometimes a banana with me everywhere for the just in case.
@dragon54u (31617)
I don't know what kind of diabetic she was but it's good for everyone who has diabetes to carry something like fruit or candy, I guess. From everything I've read it's a very scary and dangerous disease. I don't know that she carried anything for her blood sugar--sometimes we get in a panic and can't remember what supplies we have with us.
• Pamplona, Spain
Hiya dragon, Very handy to carry those kind of things around. I have to use a Trolley most times too as I make it a norm now ever since I recovered from my torn ligament in the Shoulder. I no longer carry really heavy shopping Bags anywhere lighter ones yes. I have a lot of things in my handbag too but up to now I have never needed to use any of them for anyone else. Although I see many hassled Mothers by their children always asking all the time they always manage to sort things out for themselves really. The other week I let one play with my Shopping on the Counter so she could let her Mother have five seconds piece and I said to her Mom let her for a bit. I felt sorry for her as she was having a hard time coping and there was really long queue as well.xxx
@dragon54u (31617)
I feel sorry for mothers like that, too, mainly because I used to be one! I would go shopping with 2 boys less than a year apart and it was like going through a gauntlet--shop fast, have enough distractions, pick the shortest line and get home FAST!! And always, always after a good nap and a snack! I'll let moms ahead of me in line, especially if their children are fussy. One time I let one in and the person in front of me did the same and so one till the poor beleaguered mother got to the front of the line--I was proud of my fellow shoppers that day! I can't tell you how many runny noses my tissues have dried up, especially in the winter. Things like this make life easier for strangers, who might just stay their hand when their child irritates them later.
@bubuth (1816)
You are one of the good people,because not all the people are helping elders. It is also wonderful that even the small thing that we have can help other and become very useful. I hope all people is like you. You are always ready. I also feel pity to the elders that need to go out of their house just to buy their needs because their children are too busy doing their own business.