I just read this and I thought people needed to know about home health risks.

United States
December 15, 2011 4:57pm CST
According to "Melaleuca: The Wellness Guide",these are some household items and their threats I wondered about. So I asked to borrow this book when my friend mentioned it to me. I am now in the process of getting all of these out of my house and replacing them with Melaleuca's safer alternatives, because to me the risk isn't worth it. Cleaning products: Air freshener - toxic; may cause cancer; irritates nose, throat, and lungs Disinfectant - very toxic; causes skin, throat, and lung burns; Coma. Drain Cleaner - Toxic; causes skin burns, liver and kidney damage. Oven Cleaner - toxic; causes skin, throat, and lung burns. Window Cleaner - toxic; causes CNS (Central Nervous System) disorders; causes liver and kidney disorders. Floor/furniture polish - toxic; causes CNS disorders; may cause lung cancer. Spot remover - toxic; may cause cancer; causes liver damage. All-purpose cleaner - causes eye damage; irritates throat, nose, and lungs. Toilet bowl cleaner - very toxic; causes skin, nose, throat, and lung burns. Dishwasher detergent - toxic; causes eye injuries; damage to mucus membranes and throat. Laundry detergent - toxic; irritates the skin and lungs. Bleach - toxic by swallowing; vapors are harmful, causes CNS disorders. Fabric softener - toxic; may cause cancer; causes CNS disorders; causes liver damage.
3 people like this
8 responses
@Hatley (157768)
• Garden Grove, California
16 Dec 11
but look use som e common sense. thats if you stood there and breathed that stuff in or if you put it in your mouth. my gosh everything we use in daily living has these warnings. you are supposed to realize they mean do not put the crap in your mouths.\ oven cleaner read the directions and its safe., bleach read the directions and its safe.,do not go berserk over all this stuff. how in hell are you going to get a plugged up drain open with baking soda. some things are necessary and also a lot of the alternatives are also not that safe. this just upsets people unnecessarily. some jobs require chemicals that work but you are not to drink them or eat them or stand around sniffing them all day. dishwasher detergent so you are going to purposely put it in your eyes or you mucous membrane, give me a break. this list is preposterous and who can afford this go green Melaleuca stuff . all the alternatives I have seen are three to five times higher.
1 person likes this
@Hatley (157768)
• Garden Grove, California
16 Dec 11
I have used all these things and I hav e none of the compliants' listed as I used them with coom9on sense,I did not stand and inhael them or eatg some or drink some of them, I did mot stick my head in the toilet bowl to inhale the noxious fumes and used rubber glives with toxic crap. I washed my clothes with detergent oh horrors and used dish soap to was dishes oh My G look common sense is the name of being health. I think this is alarmist propganda to get us to by too expensive stuff that does not do the job at all.
• United States
16 Dec 11
Woah woah woah slow ... down. Slow down :) You have to realize as well that common sense doesn't solve everything and that children do not always take time to read, and some can't. Accidents happen you know. I am not here to say hey everyone, I'm a network marketer and I want to take all your money. The way I see it, I am successful enough, I don't need to make money. Right now all I want to do is help the world, help people, as much as I can. Thank you for your input :)
• Philippines
15 Dec 11
This is making me crazy. Almost everything in the world is causing damage to us. :)
1 person likes this
• United States
15 Dec 11
It is isn't it? And a lot of these things put children, pets, ourselves in danger. I would like to see some legislation passed to change things like this around by God! I mean I already know that there are plastics out there that leech Bisphenol A, I learned last year and I am sure those plastics are still being distributed to consumers (real life people). I also remembering reading an article about how a teen-aged kid was hearing voices (very awkward I know) about his shampoo being toxic, and he was put in a crazy people's facility but by God if it's toxic, did anyone take a look at the possibility of that?
1 person likes this
@yoyo1198 (3644)
• United States
16 Dec 11
I'm with Mrs. Hatley. Use a smidgen of common sense. Buying green is expensive. Countries going green is going to be expensive. We'll all see the expense in our higher taxes and utility bills, grocery bills and general consumer costs. Keep the aforementioned products out of the reach of toddlers and irresponsible people. Use them yourself with the cautions printed on the labels.
• United States
16 Dec 11
Also through absorption through the skin. Shoot maybe really should post some stories because all the common senese in the world can't stop some accidents sometimes.
@davaome (1828)
• Philippines
16 Dec 11
How does it damage us? through inhalation? drinking them? consuming them? It's sure is scary to think that everything we have in the house has been very dangerous for our health. but, I'm wondering, if these things do cause such affects to us, why do people allow it to be sold in super markets, groceries, stores? Isn't their a government agency that check products if it causes health problems? I'm sure they have a warning label in products that indicates the proper use of these products to avoid such these problems
• United States
16 Dec 11
Apparently the companies that make and distribute the products to the grocery stores aren't required to do testing until after the products have shipped. Keep in mind it may take years or even decades, and $100,000.00's to begin testing one chemical for harmful effects on animals, let alone people. If the manufacturers where required to test every product, the price would either double, or the manufacturers would go out of business.
@Aja103654 (5663)
• Philippines
16 Dec 11
since those products are meant to kill living things, then it's no surprise that it can eventually cause damage to us. I don't think there is any escape from these since we are living in a modern world. without these products, we would be surrounded by more microorganisms that would kill us if we don't take care of our selves. Living an organic life is possible in some areas. Back then people used to think technology will help us have easier lives, but then it only brought more problems to our health, shortening our lives and killing as softly~
• United States
16 Dec 11
Yeah for sure. Thanks to computers we have vision problems, head aches, faster, more efficient, but more demanding work, problems with posture, not to mention social problems lol.
• India
16 Dec 11
Health risks are more volatile these days and we need to take care of it atonce. It all depends on fate.
@Cutie18f (9564)
• Philippines
16 Dec 11
Practically everything that you use to clean your house! It is a good thing that I just use plain water and soap or detergent. That is the only thing in the list that I have in the house. How about shampoo and bath soap?
@salonga (27969)
• Philippines
16 Dec 11
Yes they are so as much as possible we have to be very careful about the products we use. We should choose those products made out of all natural ingredients and not those made out of harmful chemicals. Indeed this fact will drive people crazy because they will feel at a loss as to how they could ever manage to get rid of all these things in our home. Well if there is a will there is a way. Start looking for a way now instead of risking your life.