We are screwed

Calgary, Alberta
I just found out that the evil large Biotechnological corporation Monsanto have a Philippine Branch. Monsanto is an evil company and they had caused a lot of controversy in the United States. They Make very harmful pesticides and they might be having their pesticides being used by our farmers now. They also invented growth hormones to cows to make them grow faster and these hormones are dangerous, Monsanto is the reason why 50% of Fruits and Vegetables in the USA are G.M.O (wanna know what is GMO, google it!) Because of GMo many fruits and vegetables became cancerous and not safe to eat. Because of GMO, many people became allergic to flour,Corn and soy. If the fruits and vegetables in the market are from Monsanto seeds and pesticides we are screwed. Monsanto Corn is banned in France and Japan but they were now in our country.
@yoyo1198 (3644)
I'm not a fan of Monsanto at all. But it hasn't been proven that GMO's are harmful or cause any diseases. Where did you get your information that they make items cancerous or not safe to eat? I daresay that we have been eating GMO's for years and have not been aware of it. I'm sure I have. Now getting into Monsanto's sins is a whole 'nuther discussion, you know.
@sabado_dc (1001)
Oh, thanks for this post as it serves as a pre-caution for the farmers and consumers. Here, we are receiving seed subsidy from the govenment. They have distributed a thousands of bags of corn seeds to every barangays as an assistance to the typhoon-affected farmers and honestly, we do not have any idea where those seeds come from..
• Calgary, Alberta
as Much I love buying our local corn, I might buy imported corn from Japan now because GMO corn is dangerous(japan banned gmo). next to Made in China products, Made in US is now the second most dangerous cos of GMO. Its really sickening that the GMO giant company have a branch in our country.
@iklananda (1204)
A lot of big company bribe the authority to keep their business running and safe from protester. That is something we face nowdays in every country. Just buy other product don't buy from that company
• Calgary, Alberta
the only way to stay away from their products is to buy organic fruits and vegetables and you know how expensive organic fruits and vegetable were. another way to stay away from them is backyard gardening, I have a container vegetable garden in my condo unit. so That is progress on my part, if i have a backyard, I will try to to plant everything I will eat.
Despite of GMO problems, aflatoxin is the usual reason for corn allergic. For myself, I prefer non-GMO food. But currently in my country it is also difficult to stay away from GMO. We have imported soy, corn, wheat, cotton from US. I think if we want non-GMO food we should go to Europe, as they opposed to GMO food. The worst thing about GMO is less diversification of food as natural and original species are gone. And the farmer can not grow their own seed. They should always buy new seed.
• Calgary, Alberta
That became a huge problem in mexico, Mexico have the most varieties of corn in the world but because of those cheap GMO American corn seeds, many mexican farmers tried them and it almost ruined their agriculture. Hawaii use to be a top importer of papaya in the world but ever since the GMO papaya controversy, the papaya farmers lost income. I thought my country is safe from GMO, its really frustrating that Monsanto have a Philippine Branch. Guess what your country have a Monsanto branch too: http://www.monsanto.com/whoweare/Pages/indonesia.aspx This evil company have to be stopped. I wish I have a large Backyard, I want to grow my own fruits and vegetables. I have a Family in Peru, so I considered going back there, but Monsanto also have a branch there.
@davaome (1828)
sounds very serious. I have not heard of this Monsanto before, I guess never did pay attention to some news, If it were that dangerous why didn't the government banned them like in other countries? I guess this is about money again, and I guess many of the corrupt officials are benefiting from this company and not really minding that this company has a certain history of causing trouble.
• Calgary, Alberta
a village in our country got sick because of an outbreak caused by their corn and guess what it didnt make the local news because its a very powerful corporation. By far some Monsanto seeds is banned in France,Japan,Hungary and New Zeland. Monsanto is also blamed for the Obesity outbreak in the USA, because of their genetically modified grains,fruits and vegetables. in youtube you can watch documentaries about Monsanto and see how evil they were.
@veganbliss (3903)
• Adelaide, Australia
Those buggers couldn't have picked a better time for it. Our labelling laws are a mess & I'll bet they're behind every failed attempt to reform them. It's all about politics & ownership of the world's food supply systems. This company are wiping out organic farms right across the country. The wind carries the pollen over from the GMO canola crops & polinates organic crops & the farmer loses certification permenantly. Our politicians back GMOs, so we're stuffed. But there's some hope. Organic farmer Steve Marsh in Western Australia who had his crop wiped by GMOs in this way hopes to take his case to court. Problem is, both Monsanto & that state's government have agreed to bankroll the defense of the GM Canola farmer.
• Calgary, Alberta
I just found out something terrible, Monsanto have bought a lot of the organic seed companies that sells heirloom seeds. so they were also trying to kill our only alternative option. I hope Steve Marsh wins his case, lets hope he have a good lawyer.
• Adelaide, Australia
He needs more than a good lawyer; he needs someone - or many of us to bankroll him or he has no chance. Money is everything. I think our only option is to fly over every GM crop & napalm them!
• Calgary, Alberta
I was thinking of buying a house with a large backyard, Living in a condo unit is not healthy anymore. I need to have a real vegetable garden as i cant trust grocery foods anymore. That is a hard battle on his part,I hope he succeeds. Its not only for his own good,its for the people too.
@thezone (9451)
Hi Albert. How you doing? This is all part of their master plan, just another link in a chain. I think we should just all top ourselves and put a halt to it all
• Calgary, Alberta
My apartment is damn small but I was forced to have a container garden.Thats my only escape from those frankenveggies. I started to see lots of ants inmy apartment because of it. Then I caught my pet iguana munching on my basil plant,,. damn iguana...
@thezone (9451)
Frankenveggies! you said it. The iguana knows what is good for him at least
@bubuth (1816)
I never heard Monsato before but next time i will buy fruits or seed i will make sure its not coming from that company. I buy fruits and vegetables for my family to make them healthy and not to give them sick. I will be much aware on the foods that i buy in the market.
• Calgary, Alberta
Sadly wse cannot determine products from them because they wont put label on them. so we wont be aware of the contents of the food we are eating,unless its us who produced it.
@chiyosan (29383)
Oh my! It took me an hour to be able to see some details regarding this! It is very alarming that this has come to the country... Well We would not know which one of those we buy are the safe ones... For all we know theyy could be supplying the big brandswe all get our vegetables and fruits from, right? I mean for sure altered dna of the produce makes the produce look good and better than others, which meant that these companies would probably prefer them over other producers of the same... =( I am wondering though how come their operation was not stopped even in the US, and they still claim(in their website) that their products are FDA approved in the US! How can it be possible?
• Calgary, Alberta
their former lawyer is the appointed FDA commissioner. there is no reason to be shocked why they were so damn powerful.
@sender621 (14956)
I wish there was another way to care for our fruits and vegetables than using dangerous chemicals and treatments. We can never be sure what these pesticides may be spreading to us and the effects they will have.
• Calgary, Alberta
its not only the pesticides, the franken fruits and franken veggies is the most disturbing part.did you know inthe US,Farmers are obligated to use their bioseeds.this short video summarises what is GMO. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy-Tyg_d88A&feature=related
@Graceekwenx (3163)
Hello Captalbert. I got curious in your topic such that i surfed on Monsanto itself to hear from their side. http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/Pages/food-safety.aspx Whenever we hear pesticides, we always think of chemicals. Here in our country, we need pesticides to give maximum output to our fruit-bearing trees. We have a small farm and how we wished we didnt have to put any chemical on our mango and grapefruit trees but we just couldnt control the swarm of insects. We tried for 2 years tending the trees without the use of pesticides... there has been quantity alright but the quality... our fruits have fibrotic portions while some have rots inside the fruit (mind you, you wont see any holes on the external appearance of the fruit, but if you look at the insides of the fruit, its got worms. Anyway, i hope you find the link above helpful...
• Calgary, Alberta
what do you expect, its from their own website for sure they will do everything to make themselves look good, They will promise people the stars in the sky and rainbows with butterfly kisses. They have to make their company look good. Their pesticides are chemicals andthose chemicals are cancerous, There are actually pesticides made of vegetables and safer for humans. Also the real issue againts monsanto is not their pesticides, Its their GMO Vegetable,fruit and grain seeds. If you dont mind eating fruits with cockroach dna or eating vegetables with Virus and bacteria DNA, go ahead trust them.
@dex833 (135)
Well you know our politicians, all they want is for their own good. Without knowing later on they get affected too...
• Calgary, Alberta
since they approved that company to have a branch here, I hope its them who will eat their mutant products first for approving that company to have a branch here. having a backyard garden is the only escape from Monsanto.
@andy77e (5165)
Um... you've been reading too much internet garbage. GMO fruits and vegetables are not causing cancer, or allergies. In fact, they really are not 'modified'. Let us say that you produce wool, and have sheep. Unfortunately, sheep have horns, and with horns they can hurt you. It will be easier to have sheep if they don't have horns. So you see two sheep that have smaller horns. You breed them together. Then they have a bunch of sheep, and you see two there, that have even smaller horns. You breed those. By selectively breeding, you can change the genetic makeup your group of sheep, until they have small, or no horns at all. This is what genetically modified organisms is all about. A pure bred dog, is a GMO. A pure bred horse, is a GMO. There's nothing special or dangerous about it. Now, if you happen to breed a Tomato to have more poisons in it, you can make it more toxic, and equally less toxic. Tomatoes have poisons in them naturally. But that is all that GMO is. Similarly, the hormones to make cows grow faster, is actually very natural. There is a hormone in a cows milk NATURALLY that speeds up growth of the calf. There is also a hormone that makes the cow produce more milk. This too is also completely natural. The only thing Monsanto did, was create that hormone and give more to the cow, and to the calf. It didn't really create it. The cow did. They just made more. Now that said... they have done some wrong things, I agree. And worse they sue everyone for everything. What really needs done, is the elimination of patents. But, most of what you read is just garbage.
• Calgary, Alberta
Good luck eating your GMO Monsanto supporter. Go ahead buy them, eat them and make their company richer. You may want them in your country but I dont want them in my country.
• Calgary, Alberta
Dogs are crossbreeds not GMO, Unless it has cat or rabbit DNA, then you can call it GMO. I'm not stopping you from eating Monsanto "goods" with dignity and pride.
@andy77e (5165)
If they have, then I'm not all that in favor of it. However, what you are referring to is Transgenesis, where you take a gene from one animal, and put it in another. A dog is very much a GMO. When you breed it to specifically get traits you desire, that is genetic engineering. I promise you it is. HOWEVER... I'm not against you being against Monsanto. That's fine. You have the right to be against whatever you want. I will say this: I find it amazing how many people are envious, even jealous of the wealth here in the United States. Every time I talk to people from another country they are always wishing their country was as wealth as the US. Yet at the same time, no one wants to do what the US has done to be wealthy. Take corn. We produce about 14 Billion Bushels of corn every year. Yet we only eat about 2 Billion bushels. Further, we export about 5 Billion Bushels of corn to other countries. So we not only produce more than enough to feed ourselves, but we export to other countries more food than we eat. Which of course is why we are rich, and they are not. But how did we do this? How are we producing more food than we could possibly eat, and feed more food to other countries than we eat? How is that possible, when so many countries have to import food, or starve? The answer is because we find ways to increase our harvest. In the 1960s, the yield for a corn field, was 60 Bushels per acre. Today, the yield per acre is 160 Bushels. Almost a 3 fold increase. And part of the reason for this massive increase in food creation, is because we have cool GMO corn that grows much much faster, and produces more and more corn. This is why we are wealthy. We produce much much more, while other countries produce far far less. Just in North South, and Central America, we produce 3 times as much food over all, than all the countries, including Canada, put together. America Feeds most of the rest of the America's. Without us producing food for everyone else, most of these countries would be faced with mass starvation. And by the way, just as a side note... if you think you can get away from GMOs way over in Asia, you are wrong. According to most trade publications, China, Vietnam, and the Korea's are all adopting GMO crops. China being the biggest supporter of it. The predictions are that by 2015 or so, South East Asia will lead the US in use of GMO crops. If you are right, and GMOs are causing cancer, then you really are doomed. Even without Monsanto, you are still going to eating GMO food soon. Can't fight the ocean I think.
@kaichoukebz (1190)
Monsanto? It is my first time to hear it. That is very alarming. I am also from Philippines. What an evil, disastrous company! I think, our government should make an action with it. It is very bad for our health. Are you sure about that bad records of Monsanto? Where did you hear about it? Is it reliable enough? I hope many farmers will be aware of it.
• Calgary, Alberta
Greenpeace,United nations and European countries are againts them, just search videos in youtube, everything about them is negative. You love meat? they also make mutants out of farm animals too.
• Calgary, Alberta
You love eating rice? can youimagien eating rice with DNa of animals, bacteria and even humans. they are blame for the rise of cancer in the US,
@louievill (18090)
Oh God, if that's true then we better stop them before it's too late, the earlier the better, I think the first line of defense is to ban them and shut down their operation in our country. Perhaps we should also compare notes with the countries that banned them and study their studies for the sake of reaching a truthful, unbiased and fair conclusion. We have good agricultural scientists especially from U.P Los Banos, perhaps they could come up with a solution if indeed the seeds have already been sown like something (variety) that would cross pollinate to render them harmless (just my idea and opinion) If indeed we are screwed, then we need a good screwdriver
• Calgary, Alberta
How can we stop them if we dont know if the products in the market and groceries are from them. By far I will try to avoid our local corn, cos their corn is now growing in our country. We have a good agriculture industry and I dont want this messy company mess with it. Their corn with E.coli DNA (they injected that DNA to make the corn repel the pests)Makes a whole village sick, cos it polluted their air, Guess what that incident didnt make the local news. it didnt became a national issue. Japan and Europe already banned them,we should to.
• Calgary, Alberta
oh this video explains everything: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T_XnnZUSvE
@aerous (13474)
That must be report to concern agencies of the Government to prevent such kind of product being sell here in the Philippines...that would be triggering another problem again if not prevented. What particular province did you know who is using such pesticide and distributed?
• Calgary, Alberta
they were a pesticide company but its not the pesticide my biggest concern, its the gmo they create. I dont know what province they sell their pesticdes and gmo seeds. Its the gmo that should worry you the most.,