New Year's Eve: Where in the World Is ... ?

@gtargirl (5385)
How far would you have to travel to be the first person to b/ring in the New Year? Where in the World does midnight strike first anyhow? I tried to google that and I apparently did not know how to ask. Do you know and how would you get there if you wanted to go?
@cotruelove (1038)
• Denver, Colorado
Ever heard of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)? Where time around the world begins for each day. It is a town a little south of London. lol..... don't think I'd go visit there, but it would be fun to go to London and celebrate. From where I am, I'd would have to fly (not on my broomstick). It would be a long journey from where I live. It really doesn't hold any interest for me to do it on New Year's Eve, I've always found that night to be a little to busy for me and I don't do crowds. Enjoy!
@gtargirl (5385)
OH, I have heard of Greenwich . . . Mean Time, no. Very interesting. So it's true then? The world does evolve around England? JK. You know, I always thought it was some island in the middle of some ocean. Duh me. Thanks, my friend.
@owlwings (39606)
• Cambridge, England
Actually much more than half of the world's population will have celebrated New Year before we do in London. The change of date officially happens on the International Date Line one side of which is 12 hours ahead of GMT while the other side is 12 hours behind. When you cross the Date Line, you either gain a day or lose a day, depending on the direction in which you are travelling.
I think I will be first one who celebrates this New year and the only one who brings the new year to the world. The only thing which I can do is just making fun with my friends in the party.
@gtargirl (5385)
LOL and all that stuff. Don't overdo it now. Have an awesome New Year's Eve WonderBoy!
@owlwings (39606)
• Cambridge, England
The first inhabited places which will celebrate the advent of 2012 will be the small republic of Kiribati, Samoa, Tokelau and Christmas Island. See this list for the order in which different countries will welcome the New Year: http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/firstnewyear.html In fact Kiribati: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiribati is officially the first place on Earth to see the sun rise every new day (including New Year's Day, of course), since it is the nearest inhabited island to the west of the International Date line: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Date_Line Actually, the International Date Line (which ought to run straight north to south along the 180 degree longitude line) does some very queer twists and turns in the Pacific and some islands which actually see the sun rise many minutes later than Kiribati have almost 24 hours to go before they celebrate New Year!
@owlwings (39606)
• Cambridge, England
There will come a time when Kiribati will no longer exist. It is expected to be the first country in which all land territory will disappear because of the rise in sea level due to climate change. No date for this can be predicted.