What is minimum wage where you live?

From where I am at the minimumum wage is $9.50 an hour.I think that some areas it is very low,especially in USA where there is just the federal min which is around 7 something an hour.It used to be 5.15 for the best part of a decade which is really shameful. I cannot believe they would not raise this even though the cost of living is constantly going up.People need this money to pay bills and food and other things.Some people can only have a minimum wage job as it is all that is available due to the dismal ecomomy.The government is sure making many peoples lives tough and coat their own pockets with more money then some make in a year as a single paycheck, really quite cold and uncaring if you ask me.
@jaderamirez (1031)
Hello Silverking, your 9.50$ per hour is equivalent to a whole day wage/payment for an average Filipino worker. You are lucky you live in a developed country. Anyway, I do believe that your cost of living there is much higher than here in Philippines.
@niitesh (1655)
Same here i earn about 9-10 dollars a day and surviving, I have been trying to improve but just not being able to figure a way out. The cost of living in India also is low but still it's getting harder day by day to survive on 300 dollars a month.
@Lhenni (1246)
Yes jaderamirez, our minimum wage here in the Philippines is just $9.5 for 8 hours. And it's sad that there's employer here that abused many of our fellows to give very below minimum. I'm glad that my husband are getting paid above minimum that he can give us a decent living!
@chrislotz (8207)
Good evening silverking, I live in Calgary, in Canada and they just raised our minimum wage to around $9.50 an hour also. But they only raised it for everyone but the entertainment business. They kept their minimum wage down at around $8.00 an hour. They say it is because they earn tips to make up the difference and if they raised it some of the restaurants and such would close down because they wouldn't be able to afford to pay the increase, something like that. I am self employed, residential cleaning, and I charge $40 to $45 an hour. I can't work 8 hours a day because it is just too hard on the body so I have to charge more. Besides, that is the average rate here, $50 an hour so I am a little under the average. I am going to be 55 years old this year and I have a few health problems so I can only work 5 to 6 hours a day. I have had the same clients since 2002, 10 years, so I am lucky that way. I don't know how anyone can live off of $9.50 an hour where I live. For example, my rent is $1500 a month for a two bedroom basement suite in a house. I am fortunite that my daughter lives with me and shares the rent so I am able to pay $750 a month. I could never afford to pay the $1500 by myself. It doesn't have a lot to do with the government that companies can't afford to pay more than $9.50 an hour. It is because of the government that people can't live off of $9.50 an hour because they charge too much tax to the working poor and not enough to the working rich. Cheers and TTYL my friend , Chris
@chrislotz (8207)
I see you live in Canada too, but on the other side of the country than me, the east side. Is your housing as expensive as ours in the west?
@bhonti (1247)
Here in my country, its almost $10 per hour. But this does not really happen. Other employees get amount way way lower than this. And the sad this here is that a big part of the salary goes to the taxes. Taxes which most are going to the pockets of politicians instead of being used to fund government projects to develop it's citizens' quality of life.
@Queen_11 (308)
I think that what you want to say is 10USD a day and not an hour? 10+USD/day is applicable only to employees in the higher ups or businessmen with a booming trade :) But I do hope that we soon have that kind of figure for an hour of work instead of a day. Combine that with low cost of living, every one in this country will surely have smiles in their lips! When will that be. Hmmm.
@asliah (11149)
hi, the minimum wage here in my country is 446 in peso and when the November will come it will turn to 456 in peso,but still its not enough to comply and give all what we want in our daily routine because food and fare also hike so having that wage not really accommodate my needs.
@cripfemme (7719)
It's $8.00 an hour in Massachusetts. We have pretty good laws about that, always more than the fed minimum, which I agree with you isn't enough. But shouldn't minimum wages be enough to meet the basics? Isn't that what minimum means?
In my country (Philippines) we are not paid hourly. The average wage per day is around 450 pesos which is equals to $9. The cost of living sure is low but so the daily necessity prices like food increases day by day.
To tell you the truth, I haven't noticed what the minimum wage is since it was raised. I think that wages should be set by each state, rather than federally because each state is SO different. For instance, $7.25 is nothing in New York City whereas in rural areas it might mean one is middle class. I was making just over minimum wage in late 2008 and early 2009, but I hadn't worked for a company in nearly 3 years (I was self-employed) and I was getting back into the workforce. I'm doing better now but am still nowhere near where I should be for my age and work experience, recession or not. I'm interested in changing my education and career paths but not sure I want to take on any more student debt.
where i live our minimum wage is only 7.25 which went up from 5.25 a few years ago because of the federal minimum wage. i make more than that an hour but still can barely survive off of that. i know thought that if minimum wage is highered so would the price for goods and services. its all inflation and when one thing goes up everything goes up.
@cotruelove (1038)
• Denver, Colorado
In Colorado, USA, the minimum is $7.64/hr. and certain types of jobs are exempt. I agree it isn't right. Most people who only this amount can't afford to live on their own and have to share living facilities. Tipped employees will go from $4.34 to $4.62/per hour. With the economy the way it is, tipped employees find their tips are greatly reduced. Unfortunately, the employers who pay the wages are suffering right along with the employees, because many people just are not spending money on much of anything. If employers had their way, they would never pay minimum wage. As long as people suffer with greed and selfishness, workers will suffer.
@Ollanna11 (372)
State of Ga minimum wage is 7.25 and hour. Boy do you have to work for that chump change. Even in states where the wage is higher you still have to deal with a higher cost of living. Do I think the government cares, no. All they care about is charging taxes, keeping people imprisoned, and entertaining politics. The reality that billions of people are struggling to make ends meet doesn't matter. I am glad that president Obama has extended the unemployment benefits for those that are trying but can't seem to find a job. I am very grateful for making money online and hope that this trend continues to grow and be profitable for all parties involved.
@kimbers867 (2541)
Here is MD minimum wage is only $7.25, luckily both the jobs I work at I do get paid a little more. When I substitute teach I get paid $80 a day. At the grocery store I work at I get paid $8.25 an hour but on Sunday's I get bumped up to $9.25 an hour. I don't even want to talk about the government and how they are screwing the middle and lower income classes, it is so pathetic!!!
@veganbliss (3903)
• Adelaide, Australia
Ours just went up a little while ago. It's $15.51 per hour here or $589.30 for a 38 hour week (how many hours is your working week?). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage_law The US dollar & Aussie dollar are virtually on parity, so it's an easy comparisson. What makes it a difficult comparisson is how much our dollar buys - down here, it's "not much"! Everything is expensive here & we pay quite a bit more for even locally produced goods & services than just about anyone else in the world. In the USA, food for example is very cheap. We can actually import US food cheaper after all costs than make it or grow it here. I know you guys are really doing it tough up there - have been for some time now, but things are going to be looking up for you real soon judging by recent reports. Although our employment figures look good on paper, there's huge numbers of us without full time work & employers would rather hire foreign or migrant labour than local workers - in droves, from latest figures.
@Tibor1450 (208)
• Hungary
In Hungary things are a lot different. Believe it or not there are people who get only 1-2 dollars per hour which is really a shame. It is way too low and it's really hard for such people to live under bearable conditions. And, we didn't even take taxes into consideration, which is also something really financially devastating.
@Tushavi (2078)
• Karachi, Pakistan
$9.50 per hour is very big money, I live in Pakistan, & for Labours, here people pay $100 Per month, I know the economy of Developing countries turn to worst day by day, but its because the blood of innocent peoples always cry, & these cries finish the cruelty, I Know you really don't understand my very poor english & difficult comment, but I believe that The Bad economy is By God, its the Result of So called US War Against Terrorism, I am sorry if you hurt by my words, have a nice day,
I live in India, not all are getting a pay as low as that of mine. I get about $100 after deducting pension fund, insurance fund etc, for working full time 6 days a week in a company. I cannot leave this job as others don't pay even this much for me. The second problem is they don't even offer jobs, in fact I was jobless for many years.
• Bulgaria
Hello , I live in Bulgaria and work 8 hours a day as an administrative secretary. For those 8 hours I get my 10 USD.This is insufficient , beacuse I have a credit and need food for my daugther, to pay electricity and water. In Bulgaria the standart of living is now is very low. The are few rich people and very poor.Minnimum for live is 150 USD for month
@bonbon664 (3480)
The minimum wage here is 10.50/hour. Still very low. It's almost impossible to find a place to live, and live any kind of life on that kind of money.
@scheng1 (24947)
Hi Silverking, over here, we do not have minimum wage at all. Some companies even paid the laborers less than two dollars per hour. Even then, they find a lot of excuses to deduct the salary. I think many workers are not happy, and they go to the Ministry of Manpower to complain about illegal deduction. Even though minimum wage is a bad idea, there must be some control over salary and the payment of it.
I am an Indian, I earn that much amount like $8 or $10 in one day part time online earning, i Think peoples in US has better opportunity to earn even more online.
I am paid 0.5 dollars an hour. Compared to your minimum wage an hour, our income here is only enough to buy a pack of white rice which is surely not enough even for one time eating. I was glad if I would be paid more than one dollar in a day. I am staying on an expensive area and full of foreigner and they always try to raise the stuff price.