Is Dhoni place justified?

Dhoni is a amazing batsman but only in ODI. When it comes to test match, he looks worse if least to say. Its now quite a time playing him a crucial knock in test match. He arrival and departure from the crease is just a matter of time. In simple words he simply looks vulnerable in white attire. If Dhoni is not a captain, he would not be a part of Indian squad. I can't see Dhoni retaining his test cap if he plays like this only.
lost count how many time i started such discussion on Dhoni. i mean he performed at his worst in world cup.if it is any other play,he wouldn't be included in the final but because dhoni was the captain he was included and he won the match. so the critics went silent. then they started rising their voices when he went back to his usual scratchy form.but again with back to back fifties,he silenced the critics. what was bothering the most was his critics were satisfied way too easily ( not me ). i mean with tendulkar or dravid,everyone expects them to score a minimum 50 or atleast a decent partnership and they were consistent for almost 15 years now but with dhoni all he needs is 3 or 4 god knocks in crucial situations in a space 3 or 4 months,they wouldn't care how badly he batted in the remaining 20 odd other matches. if Dhoni is in the team solely for his wicket-keeping ability,thats ok. but if he is not the captain,he wouldn't have lasted this long. on final note,people say that captaincy is very stressfull and thats affecting the batting. so is this how things go,you can either have him as a good batsmen or a good captain but you can't have both at the same time? seems the board and his fans are satisfied with Dhoni the captain alone.
I hope that you are writing this in respect to test matches because in ODI he is a terrific player all over the globe. In ODI 4 out of 5 times, he bats beautifully in critical stages but in test match where he is looking fully vulnerable.
@rajeev075 (1936)
Dhoni is pathetic in test cricket. He can only score in test matches against west indies and Bangladesh. He just know how to play the part to be in the team and that's why he is included in there. Anyway if dhoni will go out there will be need of another wicketkeeper which too will play like dumb so it better a good dumb that can hit few, that give hope that he can hit rather than one who have no guarranty to score. Well man to captaincy We are in INDIA and thus Dhoni is now superstar and it will take more than worst performance to get off him from the team. I don't think he willbe out. Here if a plyer palyed like what dhoni did no matter he perform worst he will be out no never.
In the domestic squad somebody would be a good wicket keeper batsman, give them chance. As i am writing this response, Dhoni has saved India to take India from a pathetic stage to a less pathetic stage. Now for the time being this article is seeming useless? When any body asked me who is your favorite batsman in India? I promptly say its all the way Dhoni in ODI.
@ram_cv (16516)
Dhoni finally played an innings of consequence in the first innings. He was unbeaten after scoring a decent fifty in the match. Hopefully he can continue to perform well, but he needs to score more heavily in the second innings if India has to have a semblance of a chance to save the match. Cheers! Ram
@madhuvamsi (1185)
Dhoni loves attacking batting but after getting captaincy he become quite a defensive player. Most of the time he is of too minds whether to hit or play patience's game in tests. That is why Dhoni is not showing his best in test cricket in my view. He must adopt the style of Gilchrist or play to his natural game instead of playing defensive game. Whatever Dhoni is pathetic in tests along with Sehwag, Gambhir, Raina, Yuvaraj and Kohli. Another clean sweep in tests will come in Australia in my view.
@banta78 (4335)
Dhoni like any other subcontinental cricketer generally struggle on bouncy, seaming pitches where ball does a bit, esp. when openers have been out cheaply. Yes, Dhoni technique is not great but he does at times produce crucial knocks for the team and most times he is batting with tail. Moreover, He is wicketkeeping is not bad, is honest trier and captaincy is decent. I feel Indian Team as a whole is low on morale, and that is reflecting in their performances. Lack of application, not getting behind ball, not leaving good balls enough and willingness to battle in tough conditions is missing. Just hope the Indian Team finds form and gel together soon before it is too late in Australia.
Hmm this is a question that has been really bothering me too for a long time. I like Dhoni, but not a great fan , but I believe that he is not a great test player overseas.. He is fine in Odi's and tests in India but his technique will always make him sussceptible in tougher conditions..But the prob is since he is the captain he cannot be dropped and it will look bad only to drop him for away tests as his form otherwise is decent/good..Another thing with Dhoni is that whenever people start questioning his place int heteam, he produces a good innings and the heat is of him for a while ( Just as I type he has hit a fifty).. As of today Dhoni is the darling of the masses and and I dont see him dropped in the near future even if he fails conitnously..