Caste-based life and policies

@buddha3 (1029)
Hi It's not a political topic altogether, so I posted it here in "life". At present, here in India, a panel of civil society is fighting for LOKPAL BILL to be passed in the parliament. It is expected to curb corruption in administration. While just watching the debate in the parliament, I came to know that the Indian Government has proposed to have caste/religion based representation in the LOKPAL institution which is likely to be set up. I'm just wondering where our country is heading to! How on earth did they manage to bring in the caste and religion into fight against corruption?!?! Is it really necessary, even in this age, to have reservations and quotas based on caste and religion in every field and every policy that is implemented? Can't we think ahead?? Views from non-Indians are most welcome:)
Caste/religion based representation?Hm.Me too, I can't connect these two things in my mind - religion and corruption.If all people were deeply religious and good, there will be no corruption at all.Politicians can't fight corruption because they are involved in it.They spend billions of dollars around the world to fight corruption, but it's still there.Why?
@buddha3 (1029)
ladysilver, there is no connection between corruption and religion, of course. And that is why we are puzzled. In a bill that is to be passed in Indian parliament, the Government has proposed to have caste-based reservations for the posts of an anti-corruption department that is to be set up in future. And we are wondering what is the link between those two!!!
Will each caste get the same number of posts or will some get more, some get less?How many castes are there?
@buddha3 (1029)
Well, well there are innumerable castes in India. Actually in these kind of reservations they reserve some seats for SCs, STs, OBCs and General. Some castes are grouped as Scheduled castes (SCs), some as Scheduled Tribes (STs), Other Backward Castes (OBC) and the rest as General.
@urbandekay (18312)
As a non-Indian I think that anything that weakens the evil caste system and promotes equality between people is good. However, I do not generally support that which is generally referred to by the misnomer as positive discrimination, which quotas would appear to be all the best urban
@buddha3 (1029)
Yes, this positive discrimination seems OK up to a limit. Now, it's time to stop the quota system and respect merit. In education, jobs and government facilities, those who really deserve according to merit must be given priority rather than particular caste and religion.
@buddha3 (1029)
Hey, urbandekay didn't support the quota system. He said, whatever is called positive discrimination, is not worth supporting because it is not one as such!
@urbandekay (18312)
Thank you Buddha... all the best urban
if we are not going to get a good leader then surely we cannot proliferate our thinking either in 10 years or 20.
@buddha3 (1029)
I don't think there can be much difference made with ONE good leader. Today, nothing can be achieved politically with one leader. It's all the "alliances" that work now and hence there must be many like-minded and honest leaders who can lead this country in different levels.
oh my dear buddha, leader is what all are talking about these days in india. if you read the book of raghav bahl "india vs china". you will surely get my point on leadership issue
@buddha3 (1029)
hmmmm...thank u dear, for introducing this book to me...I will surely read it..Maybe it'll be the first political sort of book I would be reading hehe:)
@flowerchilde (12518)
I know I don't know a lot about it but caste based policies to me seem as though they can only be selfish, tyrannical and mean spirited. Class distinctions like race or color of skin should determine nothing, surely they are merely bigotries.. And those in power working to keep power. Hopefully I'm wrong!
@buddha3 (1029)
you are NOT wrong:) It's really a shameful thing that our so-called civilised and modern society is still running with these kind of practices. How I wish there was a society where race, caste, color, religion and languages meant nothing in the bonding between us!