Have you ever been scolded by a priest during sermon?

By K31
Well, I have _
I am a Catholic, and to be honest I am not fond of churches. Why? - I don't believe that God exist, if he really existed then we should not have more than 1 religion and if he really existed then he should do something about the evil doers in this world. - I don't believe in the bible unless they show me the original and I mean the first paper context and contents of the bible. If you see the bible today, there are a lot of versions coming out, even with the same contents, the Catholic church should only realease the original context of the bible and publish it to the world not by just copywriting and all that. I have read and memorize the bible before because it was a school requirement, but now, I somewhat still remember and I don't intend reading it anymore (they should present to me the original because that is the one I want to read). - Priest spreads the word but they don't actually do the actions properly (I know a lot of priest who are like this). Like your story, the priest said pay respect to the service, yes he has the right to say that, but he has no right to say those if there is a reason and that is you have a different religion and you have customs on your own that he should respect that as well (He should have thought that maybe he/she has different religion that is why he/she is doing that). Priest are in the church to teach and show good example not humiliate and threathen of not continuing the service --- and in the bible, Jesus did not threathen nor humiliate the others who have different beliefs but he welcomed them and still continue preaching. I still have a lot of reasons why I hate the church itself (that depends) but I mean no harm to fellow Catholics, it is just I am the type of person who wants to see evidences and proof that it actually exist, that is why I am more on Science than Religion.
Thanks so much for your honest insight taki_takaishi. I really appreciate it and I do know where your coming from since I do agree with some of your points. I also know quite a lot of Catholics who share your thoughts especially the one about priests. You get my "best answer" for this :D
@Lhenni (1246)
I'm a Catholic but I also find some priest to be rude. Sorry that you had humiliating experience inside our church. Well, priest is only human too, can make mistakes like other human can do. Not all Catholic priest are like that, there still many that are friendly and nice to hear saying words. I do hear mass in our church to praise God, I just ignore if I noticed unpoliteness of others around including the priest. Yes, the priest should be nice all the time... sorry again about your experience *sigh.
@Lhenni (1246)
Answering your question if a priest had scolded me... No. but I had also this experience 20 years ago, I'm very young then, there's this strict priest, and during his sermon, a girl besides me, got her attention because the girl was wearing a sleeveless. He pointed his finger on the girl and scolded and said that she shouldn't wear those dress when hearing mass. He also said that those type of dress is more fitted to parties enjoying human pleasure and not in the church. I want to hate that priest because I saw the girl's face turning red being humiliated! ... I more feel pity for that priest than the girl *sigh!
Thanks for the explanation. Yeah I do am aware of that. The bride (my friend) apologized to me afterwards but I ensured that it's not her fault. I can't blame the priest too since he's unaware that I'm not a Catholic. And no need to apologize ;) No harm's been done anyway :D I feel sorry for the girl. At least I was only looked at by the priest. I can't imagine what the girl might feel after she's being pointed at publicly. She went to the church to hear lessons from the Lord but instead she got humiliated :(
@Queen_11 (308)
The priest could have just address everyone in the mass about the proper dress code inside the church instead of identifying one and making it somehow as an example. I would feel very bad when I get in that same situation. To avoid this, parishioners like me should observe proper dress code advised by the church. Not that I am defending the priest, but some do go to church wearing inappropriate clothes. We dress smartly in interviews or professional gatherings, but why can't we do that when facing God in the mass? :)
@enelym001 (8333)
So sorry for such a humiliating experience. There are priest who do that but so far I haven't been scolded by any of them. He might be a very strict priest and wants everyone's coordination.
Well he does have everyone's attention. His sermon's really good. People really listen to him attentively. There's this part of his sermon when he said: "Civil marriage is on pure paper only unlike the sacredness that only the church can offer. So if you are a guy who wants to two-time his wife, I suggest you to jump and go along the flow of the river" It's the first time I've heard such kind of sermon. It's indeed effective. People listened attentively to him.
@enelym001 (8333)
Wow I am not sure whether he said it right, but civil marriage is legal like church wedding. It's just the same thing, the only thing that you will miss is the blessing from a priest. There are successful civil marriages, if he doesn't know it. And there are failed marriages from couples too who had their wedding in the church.
Maybe he's pointing out the sacredness of the vows? The wedding being blessed by the church? But I do agree with your point. I think he's making sermons from his point of view and never quite looks at how others views it :)
@Queen_11 (308)
Haven't experienced that before and I am not looking forward to it either. If ever that happens to me, I'll make sure that I can have a word with the priest and explain my side. This is also an opportunity for both sides to learn of the things that should and should not be done or said when within the walls of the church :)
As for me, I acknowledged my fault and decided not to do anything more about it. The priest didn't really embarrass me for the whole attendees to know. I just treat it as a literal "sermon" from someone who's of authority :) He should know better since it's his territory. I wasn't just expecting that I'll feel humiliated in the church of all places :P
well I believe it's not your fault, cuz 1st of all your not a Catholic , ur not quite familiar with their tradition and ways . so better erase that memory, pray for that priest , and SMILE :)
@carlotay123: That's true and I'm doing real well now. Right after that incident, I was just surprised but no harm done :)
@secretbear (19466)
Wow. The priest scolded you? I'm a Catholic but I don't understand why the priest had the nerve to say those things to you in front of many people. It's not just embarrassing, it's disrespectful! The fact that he doesn't know why you are not kneeling is enough for him to hold his tongue. I thought priests are supposed to be more understanding and patient. I have never encountered a priest as low as that. Thank God. If I did, I would have become more stubborn. I probably wouldn't have knelt down. I probably would have walked away. Also, I am a Catholic but I no longer pray to idols. I mean, I may look at them and remember God but it's not to them that I pray.
My friend and her husband really apologized to him until the end of the reception and I kept telling them that it's no problem at all :P I just said to myself that it's how the priest share his sermons/lessons :) Honestly speaking, I was thinking of walking out of the church but I think that I might show disrespect to the priest and would ruin my friend's wedding so I just knelt down :P I'm just thankful that he didn't point at me. THAT will positively be embarrassing!
@secretbear (19466)
Kudos to you for being patient and obedient that time.
@cher913 (25890)
i am a follower of Jesus as well but i think its weird that you wouldnt go to the wedding and it is weird for the minister to point you out like that.
One of the reason why I don't go is because they follow a Catholic Service. I'm Born-Again and when I don't follow most of their actions (like the sign of the cross) people who are seating right next to me (who are unaware of my religion) would look strangely at me or point out that I'm not doing their actions. So in order not to bother other people during the service, I thought it's better for me to not attend at all or wait until the service is over.
Well, that experience is quite normal in our country . But that's not the proper way, the priest is quite "high blood" , and how did he became a priest if he humiliate people like that . He should talk with peace and with patience. Well my friend, just forget about it and pray for that priest and lesson learned from you, don't try or never attend weddings like that again .
I did learned my lesson. It's my first time encountering a priest like that. He's good with sermons since all people are listening to him. I'm not really offended but more like surprised. :) Thanks for the response :)
@donsky14 (5963)
Oh, that's not good. But probably if the priest knew that you were a Born Again then probably he would have not done that.
Well it happened and maybe it's just his way of disciplining people at least now I knew better :P I'm just thankful that he didn't pointed at me or something :)
Well, some priests could really be so strict. But he was right when he said to at least pay respect to the service. Since, you are there amidst all the Catholics, you should have knelt also when they knelt. It's one way of showing respect to others' tradition or belief, my friend.
Yeah you do have a point there. That's why I also told my friend that I also am at fault since I didn't followed what they did :)