Most Profitable Movies!!

Malaysia
What kind of movies that become most Profitable Movies. A profitable movie doesn’t just do well at the box office. Any other comments..
Well in film theory class I was told that the movie with the greatest profit-to-cost ratio was "The Blair Witch Project", an independent film made with a spit and twine budget and wound up grossing over $250 million. I don't know what kind of math it's based on because reports on the film's final budget are kind of scattered, and I'm not sure if it still holds the record. Of course we all know Avatar grossed the most in theaters, but as it cost more than $270 million to make. If you're going by who earns considerable more than what they put in, then I think independent films yield a higher profit. When they're successful that is. Is that what you meant by profitable movies?
Wait... I think Avatar's budget was reported at $230 million. It was still pretty darn high, whatever it was.
i think so, the director James Cameron so works hard for the movie after reached the best and high profitable movies after titanic his second highest profit movie.
still..yes i think avaTar is the msot profitable..production and promotion cost $220million..US dollars... and profit up to US$2.3billion dolalrs..and still rising..on blurays sales.. but for 2011..they said.(those movie critics and gurus in newspapers)that INSIDIOUS at the budget of only less than 3million USD..get to make almost 99million dollars worldwide.. now..thats a huge profit margin..
@TrvlArrngr (4058)
Having cameos by famous singers and musicians help to increase popularity. Having a gimmick - like showing extra scenes after the credits make people want to go to see it too.
Songs are must I love them
@leeloo (1494)
• Portugal
There is no magic answer, if there was, no studio would loose money on a movie. The fact that big budget movies can do well is that they have a story that most people like, the actors are engaging and the movie is well balanced. That does not mean that all big budget movies succeed - Ishtar and Miami Vice had famous actors reasonable stories and both did not do well when they were launched. Dvd's still helped reduce their losses. A few low budget movies on the other hand made huge profits - Clerks by Kevin Smith is a perfect example of a small budget movie making a profit, even if the final figure is not impressive. Movies like My Big Fat Greek Wedding have a reasonable budget but they become a huge success and the profit was probably higher in ratio then some big budget films. Then there is The Lord of the Rings : Fellowship of the Rings/The Two Towers/The Return of the King, that were filmed together to save money and resources, yet the first movie alone recovered the original investment, the other two movies were basically profit. It is complicated business making movies, it is very expensive to create with no guarantees.
@leeloo (1494)
• Portugal
I just realized I had not thanked you for the best response, so thank you.
The movie will be more profitable when we include more good songs and good actors in the film. So that it gets a lot of attraction. Which make the people to see it. A song songs is must and this is for what the people are looking for
I would say the most profitable nmovies are those with the highest Return on Investment.. Take the case of these 3 movies.. 1. Jurasssic Parrk was made with a budget of around 60 mn $ and it almost made 1 bn $ worldwide in colelctions a retuen of more than 15 times.. 2. The movies Blair Witch Project made with a budget of 60,000 $ made 250 mn $ worldwide a phenomenal 400 times the return. 3. The movie paranormal activity made with a budget of 15000 $ made almost 100 mn $ in the box office a phenomenal 600 times the return.. I believe these movies are more profitbale than movies like avatar ( a great movie!!) which grossed more but the return on investment was lesser.
@elmiko (6640)
well since hollywood has more trouble coming up with ideas over time then i would guess different and unique movies have the potential to profit the most.