Shipping Cost of Websites

Friends. Most of the stuff that i need in my business are only available in the US. Shipping costs can really suck my lifeblood pesos. I have a good ebay seller who charges around 10-15 USD for the shipment. When i was surfing thru the internet, i was surprised that some of the sites are charging 35 USD! Wow! How come my seller get to charge me a looooooot lower than the other sites that i visited? I am not demanding rush shipment at all, i just want cheaper shipping costs. Do you think the website can lower their shipping costs if i asked them? I am buying books over the net that weighs around 3 kilograms. How much does shipping from the US to Philippines really cost anyway?
Postage/shipping costs are an eBay tactic. eBay doesn't charge fees on them and cheap listings get more visibility. So instead of listing an item at $20 and asking for $10 shipping, many eBayers will list it at $2 and ask for $30 shipping. They pay fewer fees, more people notice the auction and - if they're lucky - people only realise there are stupidly-high shipping costs once they've won the auction. You can check the ACTUAL costs on the USPS web site: http://postcalc.usps.gov/
@owlwings (39362)
• Cambridge, England
It is actually against eBay's rules to hide charges like this. Many sellers, however, push the rules to the limit (and beyond). It's wise to know what the REAL shipping cost is ... and then to decide what is a 'reasonable' charge for packing &c (I would have thought that around $5 on top of the shipping cost was ample and reasonable, considering that it takes me rather less than 5 minutes to pack, label and record a single book.)
@coffeebreak (17820)
Yeah, low price, high shipping means they don't have to pay final value fees so high. I stopped buying Ebay cause of this. I started thinking...so what... I don't care how the money is divided...I pay $30 and that is what I pay, Why should I care how the seller divies it up? But then I thought...I am just helping them to make money at my expense or at Ebays expense and just got tired of having to think like that. I just want to buy something, not go to math class! I shop now almost by shipping costs first! I look at sites that have free shipping over a certian amount nad that seems to work just fine. Amazon.com is free over $25 and it is easy to spend that much on things. I always "stock up" my wish list and then when I buy, I have things I wanted and no shipping fees. I order fabric from one site that is a flat $5 shipping USPS. Over $100 is free. That is so totally reasonable and it comes Priority mail. They get alot of my business!
@owlwings (39362)
• Cambridge, England
This calculator may help you decide what the correct shipping rates are: http://ircalc.usps.gov/ Don't forget that sellers on eBay are allowed to add a reasonable amount to cover the cost of materials and labor involved in dealing with the sale.
@owlwings (39362)
• Cambridge, England
You can (and should) dispute shipping costs if they really are excessively inflated. If the item is a BIN, just send an email to the seller BEFORE you buy. If it's an auction, it's a little trickier. Theoretically, it is best to negotiate the shipping cost BEFORE you even bid but, sometimes, it will depend on whether you win the auction at a lot less than you expected or whether it goes up to your maximum bid. Sometimes it's worth accepting the extra charge to save any delay or extra hassle, at other times it can be well worth negotiating a more realistic figure. Always imagine yourself in the seller's place and understand that a reasonable profit is what eBay is about. The vast majority of sellers are honest (but human) and not only want a sale but also value good ratings. Many, however, are not very professional and a few are clearly trying to screw the customer for as much as they can get. Sooner or later those few will, hopefully, get caught by falling ratings and a history of disputes. That is why it's ALWAYS a good idea to pay attention to a seller's rating.