Charge for religious services

@stuckonu (726)
My colleague is busy organizing his church marriage and is ranting that the churches are charging too much for their service. Our supervisor remarked "Bakit nga kaya kailangang bayaran ang pagpapakasal, eh di ba sagradong sakramento yan? Itanong mo kaya yan sa pari ano kayang sasabihin nya?" (Why do we have to pay for getting married, isn't it a sacred sacrament? If you try to ask a priest about it, what do you think will he say?) Then my colleague said "sasabihan ka agad nun, demonyo ka, hindi dapat tinatanong yan" (you will be labeled as a demon because you are not supposed to ask that). That reminds me of Jesus Christ's words: "You received free, give free" (Matthew 10:8). If you think about it, these fees may also be one of the reasons why more and more couple are living in without marriage. Do you think that these services must be charged or not?
Well, for the church to be able to continue operating, they have to have some other income, aside from the alms that the people gives. So that's why when they render those sacraments they ask for a fee.
@stuckonu (726)
How about those roving donation boxes? I never went to churches but sometimes when I am watching news clips, I can see prominent people (politicians, movie/TV personalities, etc.) who are going to church and they were giving money to those roving donation boxes (in front of TV cameras no less). So, I think they have more than enough to keep going. Priests shouldn't even get a salary for performing their duties, that is if they are following the Bible's principles (which regretably, they don't)
@stuckonu (726)
Oh, they don't? Where are those luxurious cars came from? Oh, from PCSO I guess! :) Nope, I'm not a Catholic.
Yes, stuckonu, as ilovechocolate has said, priests have no salaries. So, those alms they get from church goers, they are for their provisions and other projects of the church such as the repair of the roof of the church, buying electric fans so parishioners will be comfortable and other needed things in the church.
@salonga (26562)
Well the Catholic religion is one big business that's why. I've already discovered how this religion is fooling people so they could get money from them. I'm glad I've learned the way to the right religion and now I am free from the burden of being a Catholic. This religion does not only charge a lot for its services but it also practices idolatry which God so hates. I am glad I am a Catholic now more so now I need not spend for those services. In fact those sacraments are not even needful to get saved.
Hi there salonga,with all due respect, we cannot generalize the entire Catholic community by the acts of some. I am aware that greed has overcome a lot of Parishes today but it is not happening in the Catholic church alone. Even other religious sects are guilty of such. I will no longer touch on the "idolatry" part as this is not the proper venue. I am happy that you have found your path to your salvation. We all have unique and special callings. God bless.
@salonga (26562)
Theresaaiza dear do you know of any Catholic Church that do not charge fees for wedding, baptism, confirmation, and the likes. If you can name one then I'd agree with you dear.
@stuckonu (726)
I totally agree with Salonga, but I am not harshly judging any individual Catholic to be a bad person. I mean, there are Catholics who are really honest-hearted and are thinking that the money they are giving to the Church is worth it. But like what was already poined out, most Churches are charging their members for services that are supposed to be free.
@EvanHunter (4030)
I think the reason more and more people are living without marriage is because of the fear of divorce or fear in general. I can see where there might be cost to cover for having a wedding in a temple of some sort but if they charge an enormous amount without reason than no I would not agree with that.
The lack of money can really hinder us from doing a lot of things, not only when it comes to marriage. But there it is, the solution right under your very nose, the church does offer a marriage for free. So that many couples can benefit from it. Therefore, at this point we can then be thankful that at least a few times a year there's a religious service for free. Then again, do you ever see one Hotel much less a carenderia offering reception for free?Never, right? Yet we don't complain.
@Pose123 (21675)
Hi stuckonu, I doubt very much if such fees has anything to do with people living together outside of marriage. After all if one went to someone outside of religion to get married, they would be expected to pay. My feelings on the subject is that a clergy's salary should include everything that he/she does in the parish and there should be no extra charge. If someone wanted a particular person to perform the ceremony, it would naturally be their place to pay that person's travelling expenses, if they were outside the area and also to pay them a fee for coming there. Blessings.
@iuliuxd (4453)
So where does that salary comes from ? How will the church pay for the electricity ,candles and everything they are using every day ? Then the catholic church really feeds a lot of people on this planet.Where all those money come from ? Everything has a price today,a church needs money to pay the bills,and all the other expenses.Some churches will ask you to pay the 10% because God wants that.Well the 10% people were paying were used in the temple because God doesn`t need money up there,even back then the temple needed money to pay for everything.
They ned to be paid in order to fill their belly.
@secretbear (19476)
It is indeed a big expense to get married nowadays. My friend just got married last December and I know she spent a lot. I don't know how much she paid the church but I didn't her complaining so probably they paid a minimal amount. What's expensive is the clothes, the reception, and all that accessories in a wedding. I think it's not unfair for the church to charge a wedding fee as long as it's minimal. Church services are supposed to be voluntary, yes but let's face it, the church needs money, too in order to continue giving religious services to people. They've got maintenance expenses, electricity expenses, they need office supplies, all those things, they need money for it. The church is religious but they have to be practical, too. I'm sure that's what they will say when a priest is asked why people have to pay for a wedding. I don't think a priest will say those mean things your friend said.
@bestboy19 (5482)
Are you charged for a civil service?
@Theresaaiza (9597)
With the crisis now, it does not help that the church is asking charges for every sacrament we subject ourselves to. We complain because we never view the church as a profiteering organization and yet, some are. But if we come think about it, we pay for the expenses of the luxurious resort where the reception is going to be held at prices times three or even four or five for what it originally is worth and yet, we don't mumble about it. Practically speaking, the church is also an institution which needs to feed its constituents, continue its operations, and if it solely relies on donations, it will not be able to go on with its work. Consider, maintenance, salaries of staff, electric and water bills. Imagine your household with everyone not having any income. It's reality. For me, money should also not be an issue because God is the God who blesses abundantly. The charges you pay is not even a quarter of what he blesses you with everyday. However, I do not condone and support any acts of corruption inside the Church. You too must learn to tell when a charge is unreasonable. There are churches which asks for less, and if the priest is your friend, you can even get the service for free. I wish your colleague will have a great wedding!
@sethalex (154)
These services should not be charged. It's better if it would be in form of donation where in it is coming from our will and heart as to how much are we going to give or whether if we donate or not. You know what and with all your respect from our Spanish myLotters here, we, Filipinos had acquired this kind of system from the Spanish friars. They were the once who would ask money, livestock, fruits and others in return to the service that they rendered. On our part, let us be the catalyst of change. Let us do it NOW and it would be triggered by YOU!
Riligious today is not as pure as times ago now... as I know, many Buddhist monks are professional now and their payment depend largely on how much they have solicited from the believers and thus there are so many tourists are forced to donate money to the temple, the monks even threaten to reach their purpose! Though it is not a common situation but I do feel disgusting about it.Wish religious could really be a relief of mind.