Lost singing voice

@stuckonu (726)
Is it true that as we grow older, we tend to lose our nice singing voice? I've watched a video of Debbie Gibson singing in her forties and she has lost it. I really love her voice when she as younger but now, I don't know. I also notice it in my case (at least in a small scale). I used to sing better when I was younger. Now there are songs that I cannot sing the way I used to. Have you noticed that too?
@suspenseful (40330)
It has to do with practice. When people get older, they also think "well I am too old to sing," and then they stop or do not do it as much as they used to and they wonder why their ability to sing has gone down. Also it could be about the method used. If you have been belting and raising your chest voice up, of course when you get older, you will get raspy. I do sing classical, in my late 60s and I am better when I was younger. Of course, not being an alto or a mezzo I cannot sing the popular songs that well. I did hear about Julie Andrews how she had polyps and I did see Mary Poppins and she sang with a smile. Apparently according to my singer teacher, that is not the right thing to do. AsI I said, method. faulty method, your voice goes quicker. But I still get mad when I read those questions such as "I am 20, is too old for me to take singing lessons?"
@stuckonu (726)
Interesting point you have there. Yeah, maybe that's one of the reasons why. Some old people are too busy minding their business without practicing how to sing. That may be the least in their concern once they grow old. Anyway, what would they need a good voice for if they're about to die? Sad.
@suspenseful (40330)
I do suppose they will have to sing in heaven. And it is the age they think they should stop singing - 40, 50 or 60. What if they live to their 90s or late 80s as now is becoming common? And what about the famous singers? Spme of them were singing into their late 80s. And if you do not use it, you lose it. I know a lady a few years old - well ten years older then me, and she sounds like a frog croaking because she stopped trying.
@secretbear (19476)
Hi! It's probably true with old people. I mean, Barbara Streisand doesn't sound the same when she was younger. But I think if you're a true artist, you don't lose it. I mean, if the talent was inborn, you wouldn't lose it. Look at Pilita Corrales. She still sings great even with her old voice.
@stuckonu (726)
Haha. What an example, Pilita Corales. LOL! I'm not a fan but yeah, she still sings great! I'm just sad, in Debbie's case, because I love her voice when she was younger. It was the voice of a typical singing teenager that I love.
@secretbear (19476)
Well, that's life. We all change even our voices.
My mom said this happened to her too but I cant help but wonder if this is because you dont use your voice as much when your older? My mom said she stopped practicing and so she lost it. Im hoping thats all it is because I can sing and I dont ever want to lose it...I love singing and I wouldnt feel like myself if I couldnt sing!
@stuckonu (726)
Hopefully with practice, our voice can still maintain some of its former glory. With Debbie's case, there was another video of her singing "Lost in your Eyes" in her more mature voice and it was still OK. Unlike the video where she ruins her own song. Hope your voice will keep its brilliance! :)
@beamer88 (4270)
I guess it really has something to do with age. All our bodily functions changes when we grow old. I mean, how our body performs isn't the same anymore when we're a bit old as compared when we were younger. And that would include our vocal chords. We can prolong the quality by living a healthy life but eventually that quality would deteriorate.