English wikipedia blacking out

@stuckonu (726)
I was intrigued by the black logo on top of wikipedia's page while I'm reading an article about Sherlock Holmes. It said that the English Wikipedia will black out in protest to a SOPA or Stop Online Piracy Act in the US. It was said that wikipedia will be damaged by this law. I was just wondering how will they be affected by that law. Are the information given by wikipedia a form of piracy?
I heard this news on Twitter. I'm so curious why it is trending on Twitter. I think this is correct. I just wanted to let you know that sometimes I feel that was written on Wikipedia is not correct. This so good for the benefit of the readers. Some articles on Wikipedia are misleading.
@smacksman (6076)
But that is the beauty of a Wiki - you can write and disagree, especially if you can prove your point of disagreement. Just try to get a retraction from an error in a book!
@venkit (2957)
ya i heard about this. But don't understand what is really the problem that this SOPA and PIPA creates. but wikipedia is a good site, if this is affecting this good site badly then its disappointing.
I don't believe the information on Wikipedia is currently infringing on anyone's copyrights, nor are they doing anything illegal. The issue comes down to freedom of information, which the Wikipedia community is very much for. SOPA would give the American judicial system the power to shut down any sites that host copyrighted content. For example, it might be possible for Wikipedia to be shut down if someone inadvertantly uploads a copyrighted picture. SOPA and PIPA (the Protect IP Act) are written very broadly and would allow for a lot of censorship of the Internet. Hopefully this protest by Wikipedia will get people's attention.
@smacksman (6076)
The Internet has turned the whole world of publishing upside down. To be able to share information around the world for free is against all the principals of publishing - and by that I mean publishing in it's broadest sense. They will wriggle and twist and turn but in the end they will loose and have to adapt to the new medium and earn their money some other way. We are at a turning point now and it will be interesting to see how it works out over the next decade. Basically, the Internet spits at the law.
@sivaeinfo (220)
I just now seen that wikipedia is blacking out in protest to SOPA and PIPA act. Wikipedia have been severed a wide range of general and educational information to peoople through internet. I think it is not illegal and how does it suffer from SOPA and PIPA ACT?
@beamer88 (4268)
One reason probably why they foresee some damages resulting from the US SOPA law is that I think some writers or contributor of articles in Wikipedia are infringing on some author's copyrights by not properly citing sources or acknowledging the author from whom their article was based on. It's really the only possible reason why they'll be affected by the law. So if they aren't infringing on anything, I don't see Wikipedia being damaged by SOPA.
@tatzkie23 (773)
I think that wikipedia is a non-profit site. But they do accept some donations from other people. why would they be affected by that law? are they doing something illegal? i'm not really sure but i like wikipedia.
@WakeUpKitty (8711)
• Netherlands
It's hard to believe it's a form of piracy since everybody / the people are writing wiipedia and are making the changes. The info is/can be partly facts/invested but also be changed in time if the subject/investigations/truth is changing. Still there can be mistakes in it too. If you have a subject of your interest it's hard to write it objective. Already all the info-sites are a very good example of that.