Christophobia: Are Christians afraid of what Christ said?

@urbandekay (18314)
A while ago, I posted a discussion along the lines of "Are some Christians trying to be more Jewish than Jews" Now I notice a similar phenomenon; Christians that seem afraid of Christ's teachings. I might count myself amongst them, his teachings are radical and disturbing and an unimaginable challenge to live. Yet, that is not sufficient reason for trying to reduce what he actually teaches. Now here is where the similarity to my previous discussion occurs. Those would be Jewish Christians rely very heavily on the Old Testament, those fearful Christians attempt to reduce Christ's message to the teachings of the Old Testament, unable to accept the radical nature of what Christ actually said. They will also, in my opinion, rely more on Paul that Jesus I would welcome your thoughts on this all the best urban
@Gordano (791)
This a very good discussion, but there is no Christophobia in my opinion, it is a human nature, everyone want Eternal life but very few want to strive for it, Paul preached what people want but he didn't preach the truth, Jesus Christ preached the truth, but as I said, no one want to strive to follow the teachings of the Christ Jesus PBUh, Paul preached the false dogma (god killed the god to please the god) and when you believe this you will go to the heaven!! Again Jesus said: "There went forth two men to sell apples. The one chose to sell the peel of the apple for its weight in gold, not caring for the substance of the apples. The other desired to give the apples away, receiving only a little bread for his journey. But men bought the peel of the apples for its weight in gold, not caring for him who was fain to give them, no even despising him." Those two men that sell apples are the one, he who preaches for love of God, wherefore he flatters none, but' preaches in truth, seeking only a poor man's livelihood. As God lives, in whose presence my soul stands, such a man is not received by the world, but rather despised. But he who sells the peel for its weight in gold, and gives the apple away, he it is who preaches to please men: and, so flattering the world, he ruins the soul that follows his flattery. Ah! how many have perished for this cause!' Then answered he who writes and said: "How should one listen to the word of God; and how should one know him that preaches for love of God?" the parable is taken from the Gospel of Barnabas CH 132-134 Jesus preached for love of God and Paul (the false apostle) preached to please men selling the peel of the apples for its weight in gold and those who call themselves Christians bought from Paul.
• Adelaide, Australia
Excellent research, Gordano! I cannot find this online - is this reference also known as the Epistle of Barnabus as used by the early church fathers? Or is it the Medieval Gospel of Barnabus? These apocryphal texts used to carry a lot of weight with the early church fathers who quoted from each of them extensively in their writings, as well as from the Old Testament, but right up until the third centuary did not quote at all from the four gospels we now have in our bibles! That's over four hundred quotations to zero! I have found something more from the fifth centuary bishop Faustus: "Many things have been inserted by our ancestors in the speeches of our Lord which, though put forth under his name, agree not with his faith; especially since - as already it has been often proved - these things were written not by Christ, nor by his apostles, but a long while after their assumption, by I know not what sort of lot, not even agreeing with themselves, who made up their tale out of reports and opinions merely, & yet, fathering the whole upon the names of the apostles of the Lord or on those who were supposed to follow the apostles, they maliciously pretended that they had written their lies and conceits according to them."
@Gordano (791)
Hello veganbliss, The Gospel of Barnabas is not known as the Epistle of Barnabas, it is different, and they are not the same reference. The Gospel of Barnabas is available online, I can provide the following Links: The Gospel (Complete Text as Word Doc) http://barnabas.net/barnabas.doc for reading the Gospel online (222 Chapters) http://www.barnabas.net/chapters.html How the Gospel of Barnabas Survived http://www.barnabas.net/how-the-gospel-of-barnabas-survived.html read that Gospel and enjoy exploring the truth about the Gospel of Jesus Christ PBUH, the emperor Constantine was a pagan (sun worshiper) who wanted to unify his divided empire under one faith so he called for councils to decide the official book and the official doctrine of the Roman empire, the Bible and the Trinity were the result of this, Constantine didn't know anything about concept Sacred word of God, other than what a donkey can know about physics.
@iuliuxd (4453)
Come on veganbliss don`t be silly that is a very late book written under Islamic influence to "prove " that Jesus was not the Son of God and their Prophet is the real Mesiah. The stupid person who wrote it doesn`t even know that Christ means Mesiah.Yet Jesus Christ is saying in that book "I am not the Mesiah ". Gordano that is not nice.I`m pretty sure you have heretic books too in Islam and you won`t like to hear the "truth" from those books.
@cher913 (25895)
some are. Acts 4:32 'All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had. 33 With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all 34 that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales 35 and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need. In this day when people are mad about consuming more stuff, he is telling us to get rid of our unnecessary stuff and sell it and give the money away. even for a Christian, its a tough thing to do.
Perhaps if we didn't start this mad consuming to begin with, it wouldn't be so hard? Many 'Christians' are raised as such since birth. What are our churches teaching? On what is the emphasis of church teaching? I know that in the USofA, it is on family and nation above all else.
@urbandekay (18314)
"I know that in the USofA, it is on family and nation above all else" Such blaspheme all the best urban
Indeed.
@iuliuxd (4453)
I think you are a victim of the mother of all heresies or the "sola scriptura" doctrine. That thing Luther has invented without telling you that there was a church who built the Bible and that church had "teachers" and "fathers".That doctrine who split the western christianity in thousands of "churches" simply because every one following the doctrine felt he was called by the "Holy Spirit" to build a new church. If we are afraid of what Christ said how about you Urban ? Did God told you he will build his Church on earth and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it ? Did God told you that you should be born again from water and Holy Spirit ? Did God told the apostles " Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." ? Did he told you : "Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you. And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained. " How do you respect these teachings Urban ?
@urbandekay (18314)
Those teachings that have scriptural basis I have respect for, the others stand or fall by their merit. Indeed there is one true Church and against it Hell shall not prevail and it that Church is composed of exactly those who truly accept Christ Those that twist the words of Christ are really those guilty of heresy all the best urban
@iuliuxd (4453)
What ever is bound on earth will be bound in heaven and what ever is bound in heaven will be bound on earth. What ever is bound in heaven has to be bound on earth so no person on earth can change the laws of heaven. Is this from Judas Gospel ? These are not the words Jesus used.
@urbandekay (18314)
The point Lotterylover makes is a good one and stems from a translation inaccuracy. In the original Greek in Matthew 16 it is clearly Peter's remark that Jesus is Christ that is the rock upon which Christ will build his Church not the pun around peter's name all the best urban
@peavey (15394)
I didn't see your other discussion so I'm at a loss as to the comparisons, but I think I understand what you're saying and many Christians are afraid of the fullness of Christ's teachings, even those who don't think they are. It's easy enough to think that Christ brought a message of love and forgiveness but a little harder to think that one is judged by what one thinks just as much as by what one does. I've lately listened to some Jewish rabbis teaching from the Old Testament and it's been an eye opener. Much of what Jesus taught is there in the OT already, but Christians don't see it. The OT seems to be at odds with the NT, but in many cases, it isn't - at least by these rabbis' interpretations. Paul was the one who took the message to the Gentiles, and as such, most Christians do rely on his teachings. At one point, they (the disciples) and Paul agreed that the Jewish laws shouldn't be binding to Gentile believers, only that they should "abstain from pollutions of idols" etc. (Acts 15:19-20). I don't know that that lets us off the hook, as everyone is answerable to God and not to man.
@iuliuxd (4453)
There should be no contradiction between Paul`s teachings and Jesus teachings.Paul letters are the first Christian writings before any Gospel was written.If you think there are contradictions then you can believe what you want but you are far away from the truth.If you believe like someone else from here that Paul corrupted Jesus teachings then remove him from the bible.Then remove the Gospel of Luke because Luke was Paul`s disciple.Then remove the epistle of Peter because in there Peter is writing about Paul`s teachings : " Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction. "
@iuliuxd (4453)
Oh i forgot ,you should remove the Acts from the Bible too because it is also written by Luke and there you can read "Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth.And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so. And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye?
@urbandekay (18314)
Indeed there is no contradiction provided you don't try and twist the words of Jesus and understand that Paul is writing for a particular people, in a particular time, in a particular situation not issuing universal guidance as does Jesus Iuliuxd only avoids contradiction by gross distortion of the words of Jesus all the best urban
There are two main reasons why I am not Christian , one is the Love thy enemy clause and the other is that I was told I could not question And be a Christian at the same time. So I said Bye-bye. I am Jewish so it tickles me to know there are Christians out there who resemble me more than a " true " Christian. I believe there are many paths to G-d. find one and be faithful.The label does not matter.
@deedee328 (1127)
sarah; Christ loved his enemies and we are to be Christlike. I am a Christian. I have questions. It is normal and human. I agree with you that we each need to find that path and be faithful to God. He will take care of your doubts and fears. As for the original question about Christians being afraid of Christ's teachings. I don't think that they are afraid of the teachings. I think that they are afraid to Preach it. Society has made it difficult for preachers to do their jobs. I am so grateful that I attend a church where the preacher does preach from God's word as it is written. He doesn't try to candy coat it at all. I do not fear the teachings of Christ. I do my best to follow His will in all that I do and ask for his forgiveness and guidance when I fail.
Deedee, That is what I'm saying. I will not love my enemies so I'm out. And I Never want to sit down and have a conversation with Jesus thank you. He isn't for me . period. I know if I were forced to follow I would hate myself and I would be so nice on the outside and a ball of hate on the inside.You know a serial killer! See if I had to play like I love Everyone, then the hatred would come out some other way! I think it is that many don't even know the hard rules you Must follow to be deemed a " Real" Christian.Why? Many just say they are Christian but Never study The teachings.Are you saying preachers have to water it down or No one would go to church? How sad.
@urbandekay (18314)
Sarah... you are deeply confused but your confusion highlights exactly what I am taking about all the best urban
People tend to avoid his teachings because they do in fact seem radical. Many Christians do not want to be humble, as they relate it to weakness. Many preachers will only say so much of the Bible and avoid anything that may say something about their own dealings. Thing is, people by nature try to avoid things that say negatives to the way they live, not wanting to face up and may have a bad conscience they rather not face up to and be judged. Then again, the Bible DOES say not to judge either, so they may hate that too. I've noticed that many Christians are VERY picky about what they read and hear. Sad really...
@urbandekay (18314)
all the best urban
@deedee328 (1127)
I think that a true, devout Christian will not have difficulty in being humble. You are so right about that. We should all start reading the Bible and doing what it tells us to do. We will have to face up to judgment one day whether we like it or not. I dont believe it i judging if you are telling the truth and obeying God. I see alot of people that pick and choose what parts of the Bible they believe in. I think you either believe all of it or none of it. It is sad the way the world has forsaken God and His word.
@visavis (5945)
Actually they are not affraid insted they are rejected Jesus christ means God will have for them regarding rejection..
@urbandekay (18314)
So you think that those Christians have rejected Christ despite professing belief and obtaining position of priests and popes? all the best urban
@visavis (5945)
I'm not so sure but some of them are professing Christians only from their mouth that knows Jesus for their own purpose and intention.
@AidaLily (1450)
I think that Christians do fear the teachings of Christ. While the Old Testament may have more in the ways of showing what happened, you have people who are scared of the things in the Old Testament and the New Testament in my opinion is definitely completely written by man after all those events. Its a way to keep control. Now I think most Christians fear it because they have either broken the laws or strayed from the teachings once or twice. Take the Ten Commandments for example. Some Christians will tell you they were guidelines while others will tell you that they are the law and so on depending on what they do. Most people have broken the ten commandments ten times over. There is something in the bible that says that man should keep faith and adhere to the laws of man regardless of whether those people believe what they believe or not. A lot of Christians will misconstrue the message so that they are endanger of whatever they believe is their eternal award.
@deedee328 (1127)
I believe that the Bible was written by men of God, as instructed by God. I believe there are lessons to be learned and laws to obey from both the Old and New Testamnts. I believe that what God said from the beginning still holds true for us today. As the Commandments came to Moses directly from God, I think they are God's laws and are to obeyed. I am not afraid of failing in this because God also told us that if we obey the first two commandments, then we would be obeying all of his other commands. The Bible does say that we are to obey those in authority over us here on earth. God put those in authority over us for His own reasons and purpose. If we are obeying God, by obeying those people over us on earth, then if they have caused us to do wrong, it is on them, not us.
@PageTurner (2827)
I am of the mind that many 'Christians' innoculate themselves with Christ...they get just enough to protect them from catching what they regard as the whole disease. So, yes, they are afraid of cathing more of Christ.
@veganbliss (3891)
• Adelaide, Australia
Bravo! Well said! I seem to see the same here. I wonder if you will encounter this very phenomenom in this discussion also? I'm not professing to be greater than another in this, but am learning everyday, as many are, if they are not resistant. Though who's to say what these same people will be thinking many days from today? I guess we are all at different stages of our journey onwards & upwards & none among us can stand in judgement against the other, but we will do our best to help & encourage, by whatever means, but always with the best of intentions. All the Best with this one!
@wysecom (346)
• South Africa
I find it difficult to understand why Christians should be afraid of Christs' teachings unless their hands are not clean. Take a look at the constitution of your country and the by-laws, if you keep to terms, which are very simple, you do not need to be afraid. The teachings of Christ are the simplest of all known teachings. The application of these teachings needs and takes very little away from us. He, fortunately, sent the Holy Spirit to help in our infirmities. He did not only give the teachings and commandments but equally gave the helper; so it is no longer I but Christ living in me to do the will of the Father. Yielding to His voice solves the problem, if any. Christians who are afraid, have not really been 'born again' so they still have to 'surrender all'. I know and recognise Israeli Christans but Jewish Christians, ... I am not conversant with those; it boils down to mixing two extreme things. The Jews are more into Judaism.