Today's frugal plans:

I am going to stay focused on being frugal! Each day, I am going to make my plan, and that way it's easy for me to remember that I need to stay frugal. Today, I am going to: make meals from ingredients we already own bake or cook a snack that we can have for today and tomorrow stuff the diapers (we cloth diaper) work on knitting a Christmas present (have started already) knit a wool diaper cover (found a free pattern, already own wool) And of course, the two adults in the house have to go to work. (We work at different times so we don't have to have childcare). What are your plans for today?
@peavey (15769)
I plan to do nothing. No shopping, no driving, no TV, nothing. My sister is coming for dinner and we're having leftover spaghetti. I cut five pieces to make more handkerchiefs and will work on cutting/tearing scratch paper to size while I wait for pages to load!
Sounds good! Spaghetti! Only here I was craving it yesterday but my husband doesn't like it!
Sounds frugal! I have pieces cut out to make cloth napkins but think I'm going to focus on knitting today. We use the backs of pieces of paper for our son to colour on. It's good to reuse things, isn't it? I love spaghetti. For years, I made it quite often. It turns out, my husband doesn't like it, he was only eating it because he knew I like it. So now we just have it once in awhile and he makes other kinds of pasta. For dinner tonight we're having either breakfast food or soup and sandwiches. It's use up what we've got week!
@peavey (15769)
I like spaghetti but don't think to make it often. I don't have young children any more, but they used to use it to draw and color and do other crafts, too. The junk mail I get more than keeps me in scratch paper and I use it every day to make lists. I don't use much of paper anything any more, including napkins and tissues. Cloth napkins, handkerchiefs and hemmed rags do almost everything I need. Toilet tissue is about it. I don't think people stop to realize how much money they're throwing away when they buy disposable everything. Kudoos to you for cloth diapering. I've made those wool soakers and they work great - actually better than plastic covers because they don't leak around the legs. Makes you wonder why everyone went to plastic.
I have been making more meals at home and am also looking into ways to make extra money so I can try to build up my income. My husband is unable to work and I have decided to take care of my husband instead of hiring a nurse because I feel that it is my responsibility to take care of my husband. My husband in addition to having a serious foot condition is also Type 2 Diabetic and I have cut out all junk food and only buy healthy food. The only times we go out and eat are on special occassions such as Valentine's Day and Birthdays.
It's a struggle to balance what you need to do with the basic things like needing to make an income, isn't it? I'm trying to cut back enough that we can live off of my husband's income and save mine. I know there will be months where I don't make any money, and we will have big expenses come up - if we don't have money saved, we're going to end up back in debt.
It has been a struggle for my husband and I since he is unable to work and has to file for disability and I need to take care of him since he cannot get around on his own. The wheel chair does not fit in the kitchen and he cannot balance well on crutches. When we do go out he needs me to push his wheelchair and most of the time I walk to the grocery store which means more trips to the store because I can only carry so much. I know we will get money back from our taxes and all that will be going into our savings account. My mother seems to think my husband and I will get back on our feet by paying her bills and expects money from us each month. I help by making dinner three nights a week and pay the heating bill. I really cannot afford anything else. I do need a haircut, but I know that has to wait. I make jewely and am thinking about selling it online so I can make a little extra money.
That sounds like you're in a hard place right now. Hopefully you can sell your crafts. I am looking at trying to start some kind of business too. We make frequent trips to the grocery store too, because we can only carry so much. Luckily it's not too far away. Things will get better once your husband's disability filing has gone through, at least on the money front.
@shiesse (308)
I'm working on being frugal too!!! I'm also knitting a christmas present as you are, Having left over day for supper, WALKING to the kids karate class, starting my shopping list for groceries this weekend (organizing my coupons checking out where the sales are) and I think that's it right now. Good luck to your frugal day!
Walking is an awesome idea! it's better for your wallet, the environment, and your health. We try to walk places as much as possible but we live quite far away from a lot of my clients. We live here because my husband can walk to work.
Walking is not only great exercise but I like the fresh air and looking at the houses I pass. I crochet, could never get the hang of knitting. Something I do to get the most of my yarn is I save all my leftover yarn from my projects, then with the leftover stash I crochet hats and mittens, baby sweaters and booties. The Merlin Muffler shops take donations of winter items every year. So the day after Thanksgiving I drop off the items I've made during the year. If your interested in free patterns there of course are many available online, but one site that is very nice and free is at www.raverly.com you can find just about any pattern for both knitting and crochet there. Sometimes its fun just to look at the finished items.
@shiesse (308)
I love looking at houses as I walk too ( I thought I was the only one) I'm trying to learn to crochet but I'm having a hard time getting the hang of it. Great idea for the left over yarn too!
Sounds like you are going to have a busy an enjoyable day there. I just quit my job today, I figured it was not for me. It was cleaning houses or should I say mansions? he he he 5 bedrooms? 5 bathrooms? And who can tell what all the other rooms were? And I have bad knees and could not do it! Ouch! All that dragging around of heavy vacuums up and down stairways cleaning 3 huge houses a day I just can not do it! Too old for that and my knees were killing me! So today I will be resting and looking on line for an office job! And maybe later cleaning my own house here. he he he l.o.l.
Oh and I forgot to add I was treated bad there for what reason I haven't a clue? If you see in my previous poat about this job when I asked the lady that was training me to drop me off at home which one of the workers there told me she wouldn't mind because she had given her a ride home when i asked her mind you I was not even a block away she said she was not a taxi! Then the other day it was poring down rain and I was standing outside thinking I was going to take the bus home like I normally did until my friend said she would pick me up so I was standing outside the office waiting on her and watched the same lady that told me she was not a taxi take a few of the girls home and come back to the office 2 or three times and said nothing to me if I needed a ride or anything! I found that kind of rude? What would you think? She did not know my friend was coming to get me either.
ooh, frustrating! It's one thing to not be willing to give people rides if she has a lot of work to do or is very busy, but to give others rides and not you seems mean! An office job would be better if you have bad knees.
Yes I think it would be better for me I also have pulled a muscle in my shoulder from lifting that heavy vacuum that they had. I think that she was just rude for doing that too.
@cher913 (25895)
well i am cleaning today, making chili for supper tomorrow with left over spaghetti sauce and salsa and hoping to head to the library later to return some books and dvds and pick up the ones that i have ordered online. we saw mr poppers penguins last week (our library is very good about getting new releases, even if you have to wait for them!) i love the library!
you're having a frugal day, too! Our library is pretty good too, and has lots of kids' programs and books. The main branch even has a toddler play area, which is pretty fun.
@cher913 (25895)
frugal is my middle name because we just don't have much extra cash these days.
We have a bit extra right now, but I know there are lean times coming - my work has high months and low months, and the low months are hard if we don't prepare for them.
@aprilsong (1886)
The economic crisis make force most people keep their belt tight. It is necessary to make some frugal plans. But formost, we should know how to earn more money to deal with the high rising of all prices of goods. Secondly, we should try to keep healthy. Becuase if we lose our health, then nothing is meaningless any more. There are lots of ways to live on less money, in fact, if you use your head, less money doesn't mean low quality of life. For instance, with the same amount of money, we can cook two dinner with nutrition, while it can only afford one big meal outside. Try to do more DIY. Which will save lots of money, and sometimes it can bring you lots of fun.
We have been lucky in that we've both stayed employed during this recession. We are belt tightening because we know there could be lean times ahead and we have to prepare for them in advance.
Frugal plan for today is to walk out the street instead of riding a transport vehicle. Also, I am choosing the lower fare vehicles instead of those convenient but pricy ones. Still on saving mode to accumulate money for investing. I hope that I can reach my set goal for money saved for this year.
It's pretty early in the year. At least, that's what i keep telling myself - we have a pretty hard to reach goal this year. Still, even if we don't make it, we'll have saved quite a bit. Walking is a good way to cut down on costs. It doesn't always work for us but when we can we walk.
@Cutie18f (9564)
Wow, that is very inspiring to hear. I think I should do the same. Today, I will start minimizing the use of electricity by switching off those that are not used. Today, I have to diet and avoid eating big. This is also one way of being frugal. Today, I will have to work harder in order to make more money so I can have some savings.
Oops! I should go turn off all the lights! This is the thing - I really need to remember to be frugal on a daily basis. If I change it up each day, then it makes it easier to keep it interesting.
Hi! that is what i am trying to do and actually doing since this year started. I decided to stop using my credit cards and start paying all my debts so that by next year we can have a better financial status. I also plan to temporarily stop buying clothes, i think we have enough already for this year's use. I also try to do more on-line jobs aside from my regular job so that i can use my earnings in paying some of the bills. To augment my income from the office, i started selling drinks to my office mates and i hope it will turn out good. I started today and hope that more office mates will buy from me. I also vowed not to have credit cards anymore, banks become richer and richer because of the very high interest they charge on credit cards.
These sounds like good habits to get into! We've been getting more and more frugal as the years go by but we weren't very frugal last year because well, we had a child. So we're really going to have to focus this year.
Oh how I know what you mean about being frugal. I'm really trying to buckle down and start saving money. Our children are grown and live close by. I love being able to see them and the grandchildren daily. Hubby has several serious medical problems and Dr. visits and meds are out sky high even with insurance, and I need extensive dental work done. So it has become quite a chanllenge. I do most of my shopping at our local super walmart and I've found that they sell thier day old roitissiarie chickens for $4.50 each. These are great for soup, sandwiches, salads, chili, and numerous other meals. You can't buy and cook a whole chicken for that price. To try and eat healthier I try to add several cheaper produce items to my meals like celery, carrots, potatoes, and squash. Because it is just me and husband we do have it easier than families with children. But basically I plan 4 med/large meals and have the leftovers from those for lunches and the remaining dinners.
we're planning to do things like casseroles. They're inexpensive and they stretch out to several meals. Plus, they're nice in the winter.
@TrvlArrngr (4058)
That is great! I only plan to use more coupons and not spend unless we need it.
Coupons are great, aren't they? I'm going to try to use them as well as avoid spending.
I traded in a bunch of old DVDs I didn't want at GameXchange and got a PS3 game I anted for $0.50, so I got a good deal out of it.
I need to get my boyfriend to sit down with me later and discuss finances. I want for us to start taking financial fasts each month; I've started thinking that maybe beginning with week-long fasts might be a bit much (he'd paled a bit when I'd mentioned that idea a couple weeks ago), so maybe a couple of three-day weekends each month may be a bit more palatable while still be effective in terms of curbing our spending.
I like the idea of making frugal plans for the day. I guess my most frugal thing that I did today was that my daughter spent the night at my mother's house on Saturday night and my mom had bought a can of chicken and dumplings for the girls to share for lunch on Sunday that they didn't end up eating, so instead of going to the grocery store and buying something to cook for dinner, I heated those up instead. I've also been making an effort to collect aluminum cans so that we can recycle those because they are bringing in $.50 a pound right now.