Fostering Children...

Jacksonville, Florida
Is there a "right" personality for it? Is it true that you could have a child for 10 years and the next day they could put them in another foster home? Do you have to have a lot of money to foster a child? Would you ever want to foster a child? If yes, what has stopped you from doing it?
@MaryLynn321 (2680)
From what I have heard all you have to do is have a room for them to sleep in. You get paid from what ever county you live in to take care of them. I guess you get paid mileage, etc., if you have to take them to the doctor, dentist, etc. I believe they don't take them out of a foster home unless there is a problem. They also get out of the foster home if there parents are allowed to have them back.
Yeah I heard that too but Im thinking there is more to it now. I didnt realize that it was only if there was a problem. I heard kids are moved around even if there isnt a problem.
I suppose it depends on where you live. I also wonder if once you work with children through social services if they are more into your life then one would want them to be. I am sure there are visits from social services, etc., that you are required to do. I checked online for you. http://www.fosterparenting.com/foster-care/foster-parenting.html
Thank you so much for the information and I will check it out! =)
You have to have alot of love and like kids. You get paid alittle by the state for foster care. That is one reason some do it. You have to be licensed and they check on you. They can move foster kids to other families if there is reason. Kids may not get along,etc.
I absolutely love children thats why Im interested in fostering children. I thought the kids got moved if you got too close to them honestly...I hope not though.
They might. It depends on the situation. The kids do need to bond with the foster parent to make it work.
I would think if you were fostering a child for ten years one would go ahead and adopt them. You don't have to have a lot of money to foster children. But they do check you out more than you've probably ever been checked out in your life. I admire people who do it.
Well the people I heard that from were not allowed to adopt them although they wanted to. The state was trying to give the parents custody rights back to them. The poor foster parents were heart broken. I do know they check you out like crazy! Maybe someday I will be able to foster. =)
@carolscash (9501)
I would think that the only real personality trait would be to enjoy being with the children. I would also think that with that comes patience and unconditional love. I think that I would like to do it, but I don't really have the room to do it. I also think that like you I would become too attached for them to take them. I do know a lady who does have foster children and she has had them for most of the time that she has been fostering children. She has adopted one of them and she loves them all so much!
I absolutely love children! And I have a lot of patience. I have always wanted to be a foster mom...I would get attached so easily. I love all kids. I would probably want to adopt kids too.
@jillhill (37386)
Its not that I wouldn't it's that I couldn't....I couldn't have them and then lose them. I think it takes a very special person to be able to do this....I however am the kind that would love them so much I wouldn't want to let them go!
I understand because Im the same way. I wish they would keep them with the same people as long as they were being treated good and weren't being adopted. I would love to foster children but like you Im scared I would be heart broken a lot! =( I think there would be a lot more good foster parents out there if they did not move the kids around so much!
Hi Loving, Fostering children is a wonderful thing and it can also be sad because the state doesn't want you to get too attached to them. Fostering may be for years or it could be just for a short time. My neighbor fostered 3 boys from the same family. Then at some point the state moved one of the boys to another home. It was hard on the kids and it was also hard on the foster mom.
That is exactly what Im worried about. =( I love kids and I would be a great foster mom except that I would get attached. But I want to change how people think of foster homes (that they are all bad) because with me it would not be bad at all. Most people think of a foster home as being a terrible place, not all but most...