At what age do you think a child should be allowed to carry a cellphone?

@diillu (5128)
I was wondering at what age should a child should be allowed to carry a cellphone. A cellphone has lots of advantages and at the same time it can be easily misused. The other day, I say kid of my neighbour who is just about 6 or 7 and was carrying a mobile phone. When I asked her whose it was, she said me that her parents got her cell phone in case of emergency. I think 7 years old is way too early for a kid to carry a cell phone. I don't think I will get my kid a cell phone when they are 7 years old. I would wait around for some more years. What about you? What do you think is the right age for the parents to give their children a cell phone??
@lilaclady (28238)
i think that depends on the child, their maturity and sensibilty, there should be special mobile phones for kids, simple but for security reasons, maybe different phones for different ages, I don't think it is wise for some kids to have access to the features that could put parents into financial debt which is happening.
@ravisivan (14053)
a simple phone without camera etc. may be given to children from their 12 years age. But children will ask a cell phone with latest advanced features only.
@diillu (5128)
Yes, that is what I am talking about. Kids who don't know the counting till 100 are carrying cell phone with the features they would never be able to understand. And all these smart phones with so easy access to internet, it can be so easily misused.
I didn't get a cell phone until I was 16 and able to drive n be out on my own
@ravisivan (14053)
You were not having cell phone until your 16 years because in those days it was not popular or cell phones were costly. Nowadays you get cell phone for $20. I think children can be given cell phone from their 12 years age.
@jagjit273 (1740)
Kids of this era are very intelligent , but as you said cell phone does have their advantages and disadvantages. As it can be misused easily. I think kids should be allowed cellphone after they finish school at least or the age of 18.
@sk66rc (4261)
I don't think there's any reason why kids under 16 years old should carry a cell phone... There's no reason why kids that young should be alone without adults supervision... When kids start driving then I see the point but really... I work with a woman who gave her kid a pager... And yes, those things are still in use...
• Kenya
I don't see the need to for the kids to have a cell phone. They will just call you at all times because to them, all their wants is an emergency to them.
I personally think children should be allowed to have a cell phone at the age of 13 year with basic of calling feature. A multimedia cell phone can effect the child life of a 13 year old kid. They should keep the cell phone as their own precaution or emergency tool. Multimedia cell phones are given only at the age of 16-17 as there are lots of vulgarities around the world like clipping and all. 6 or 7 are is way to early to give any child a cell phone as it the age for play video games but not making calls.
@ruthy40t (16)
Being that I work with kids from ages 4-18 on a daily basis. I see the advantages and disadvantages to them having phones. However I think it is silly for a kid to have a phone before the ages of 12 or even 13. At these ages is when you begin to drop the kids off places where they may not be entirely supervised. While generally they are still supervised it is usually not like the supervision of little kids.
@ankit_620 (496)
I think age is not the proper criteria for anyone to decide whether a child should carry a cellphone or not.The more appropriate basis would be on the child's day to day life and their parents.I mean whether he/she travels far away from home or the child parents are away from home to their work or somewhere then they can always reach their child on cell and also the child who goes out will always be in touch with their parents especially in case of emergencies.
6 or 7 years old...What is UP with that! I guess only for emergencies, sure, but it still seems too young if you ask me. I guess I'm getting old - but my first cell phone was when I was 16 and I had a job and could pay for it myself. That's how it would be with my kids, if i had kids that is!
@alberello (4755)
I believe that there is no minimum age to be able to give a child a cell phone. Because of these products there are different types, many of these are suitable for an audience with the basic functions that a child could use. However more or less at around 7 years, I would say it is the age that children begin to become familiar with these devices. Certainly we must not spend big bucks to buy a phone to a child. I see it.
@br3ndy (468)
Well, i think it depend on many factors to let kids have a cellphone. Some busy parents really need to give their kids cellphone so when their kids going to school or other place, the kids can call their parents to ask them to pick them to home. Parents can also easily know about their kids whereabout while they still busy with works. But one thing for sure is, the parents shouldn't buy a latest cellphone for their kids if their kids are still underage because they could missuse that. Just give them a simple cellphone for calling and texting, also don't forget to make an agreement with the kids about what the purpose the parents give them the cellphone so that the kids will not missuse the cellphone. Happy mylotting...
@MizzLadyB08 (1175)
My daughter is 11 and she has a cellphone. I do believe that some people give their kids a cell phone way too early like at age 7. I went to my daughter middle school dance to help at the concession stand and it seems that just about every kid that came up had a cell phone and they was so high tech... iPhone, Motorola Droids and all. We really have no say on what a parent gets their child, if they can afford it then let it be.
@deodavid (4150)
Hi there diillu, Hope our doing great today, In my opinion i think children nowadays a mentally growing older and for some reason i think of the things that may harm this kids and i can only imagine if i did not find the best way to protect them or even equip them in times of need i think it is fine to give the kid a phone as long as the understanding of it's use is emboldened in them.
@Mashnn (4503)
I think the appropriate age is whenever your child is mature enough and able to use the cellphone. My son is 7 years old and he already had two cell phones. I buy him for emergency purposes and I only make sure that he uses it only when necessary like whenever he goes out and me or my husband are not with him.
@annierose (18226)
hi diillu, I am not yet a parent but as a teacher, I consider myself as a second parent to my students. I think that allowing a child to carry a mobile phone depends on his maturity. For example in our school, some students just carry mobile phone not because of emergency purposes but to have a text mate or to talk to the opposite gender. Most of the time, mobile phones are confiscated because of the use of mobile phones during the classroom. The worse thing is that, they use it not to contact their parents but to just have a talk to someone. There is also one time that a student use his parents as an excuse for him using the mobile phone but I found out that he just invented stories for me not to confiscate his mobile phone. In my opinion, I think that once a kid knows when is the right time or not the right time to use his mobile phone, he can be allowed to have a mobile phone.
• Grand Junction, Colorado
My youngest received her cell phone a couple of months before her 7th birthday. Her father got it when we were split up so that he didn't have to talk to me, he could call her directly. After getting back together she kept it. Her siblings are all grown and that's how she keeps in touch with them is by texting, none of them want to talk on the phone and we didn't and don't have a house phone. She is very mature for age and has been since she was a toddler. Even now at 8 and a half she most of the time she acts like a teenager. It's up to the parents to decide when they feel that their child is old enough for a phone. Mine has had hers for almost 2 years, she hasn't lost it, now broken it. She has unlimited texting and 500 minutes a month and I never worry about her going over. So in our case she has proved responsible enough to have a phone.
@thezone (9451)
There is no right age to have a phone. To be honest do your kids a favour and don't let them have a phone at all. oh yeah did I mention once that.... "all cell phones are evil"
@ravisivan (14053)
It depends on the maturity of the child. Nowadays people give cell phones to their wards when they come to 8th std. or so. That means 12 years old plus learn to manage cell phones.