Whats your take on husband and wife working same company?

By RK
@ragikutty (2459)
Kerala, India
We met at our office, became friends, fell in love and now got married. I'm under his team from the time i joined there. As usual there are many those who like our relation and a few those who don't. Personally I love working together as we don't have different shifts, its more economical and bottom line we can be with each other 24/7. But professionally this is creating lots of problem in our office. Even many of them is torturing us mentally so that we will quit the job ourselves. I just don't like to loose it to them and want to stick there as long as we get a new job. But sometimes its too difficult to handle the pressure. What do you guys think? Is it really bad idea to work together after marriage?
@stringer321 (3727)
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
After reading the first page , I get the impression that it's wrong to be together at the work. I think it depends on both of you and you have to ask yourself if you want to change something or maybe is it preventing you from do something that you want. If I was working with a spouse at the same workplace , I would make sure nothing will effect our relationship : maybe people in our work would tell one of us about a problem that may lead to a conflict , maybe there is too much work to be done and no time for love at work , getting to know people in the work place can lead to a betrayal ... Those problems can really effect the relationship at home and there are many problems that only time can tell... what will happen if you dissagree with your husband that is your boss ? You better talk about those things before they happen and how to prevent them in first place. You can also try to make it for your advantage , you can make a good team with understanding and good communication , you can plan and talk about the work at home and how to do it better for you both.
@2004cqui (2823)
I wouldn't care what others think! Unless it's against the law or against company policy it's none of their business!
Yes, personally I feel that its not a good idea for both husband and wife to be working in the same company. In fact, many offices have a corporate policy whereby couples are not allowed to work in the same office, so after marriage, one of them have to change to another office. It may be convenient for your personal life, but professionally both of you are likely to face a lot of conflicts and false accusations. Its better to look for another office
@deodavid (4150)
Hi there ragikutty, I tink that it is nice to work in the same place as long as you don't work in the same department, because if you do work together to closely you might loose foresight and those lowering the efficiency that you do the job.
@tatzkie23 (773)
I can see nothing wrong with that, Working together with your husband. It's just that Maybe there are just people who are so annoyed with you or something. For me, i don't mind if i have workmates who are couples, i don't care about them. LOL. As long as they're doing there job. And don't let those people torture you mentally, They should be the one torturing themselves. LOL. Seriously, if you think that quitting your job because of the pressure, and you can't take anymore, then do what you have to do for the better. As for me, i would love to work together with my husband. It's my chance to be with him everyday and every hour and to watch him. LOL.
• Kenya
As you have stated, your relationship status is already causing you problems. Most employers discourage office affairs as it leads to low output. I think it would be wise if a huspand and the wife dont work in the same company after marriage.
you're right rubbershot..it is wiser if they will be in separate ways..
@wysecom (346)
• South Africa
It is a nightmare which must be discouraged at all cost. Since you were under his team from the beginning, do you know who he went after before your arrival? Why dig your grave with office romance which has never ended good except one partner quickly moves to another company? You control the home, he controls the office.If he maltreats or dare shout at you in the office, you simply deal with him at home the ladies way. If he barks out instructions in the office, he mellows down when it comes to your turn; these must be some of the reasons you wanted protection. You better move to another establishment and let him enjoy his work. Your presence is a barrier to his performance. If he moves and you remain in the same office, begin to number your days. 24/7 with your husband, is that what you mean? That must be a real BAND, banding or bandaging both of you. Is it not boring? I wouldn't accept that. What kind of discussions do you have at home after work - the same old story about the same office; no fresh news. I would never recommend man and wife working in the same place even as business partners. Home problems are often transferred to the office and vice versa. It would be difficult for you to make friends within the place. In fact, it is definitely going to be catabolic in the middle run.
@tammytwo (4303)
I think it depends on the couple. If it works for you don't let others cause problems and make you change the way you do things. My husband is a police officer and I am a 911 dispatcher for his municipality, as well several others. It works for us because we don't always work the same shifts and we don't work in the same building together. He is out on the streets while I am at a desk taking the calls and sending him (and others) on them. Some may just be jealous of the time you do have together with the one that you love.
@bounce58 (17523)
I think that would always be difficult. I don't have that experience personally, but I've worked people who eventually got married. One had to move to a different department because they also understood that there is added pressure. I think it's best that you also find a different department, or a different job. But don't quit just yet. Make sure you have a new one before you move.
Hi! Yes it can be a little vexing, but it depends on the size of the company and the people involved. Both of my parents were teachers and the college they taught at gave them enough space that they could function with ease; they were nearby but there was enough space so they could be themselves. My husband and I operated the same way...with a large enough building, we were able to be near one another but at the same time, be our own selves and it worked. Be well!
@fantabulus (4005)
No problem if husband and wife are working in same company but position is changed. But some husband wife dont want to join the same company because they feel embarrassing. Ohhh torturing but you both should face the problem with boldness and replied on those emplyees who are torturing this is not good.
@mavil85 (350)
it depends on your relationship, if you work best together the why not? but the problem is if people around you keep on pressuring you then it might have a bad effect on your marriage. at the same time, in my opinion, being together 24/7 is kinda boring. there i spilled it out, when you go to work together eat lunch together and go home together it can be boring. at first it would seem ok, but after some time it would get boring, because when you go home there is nothing new to talk about, there is no mystery anymore. just my opinion.
@arjunm (439)
No i don't want it.. I think some times it creates so many problem... it has so much complex
@WakeUpKitty (8704)
• Netherlands
Yes I think it's a bad idea in your case. And you know it is otherwise you would not be in that situation you already discribe. It might be different if you were not under his team. You are not equal to eachother and it doesn't sound professional to me in context with your co-workers.
@cutepenguin (6457)
While my husband and I were dating, the place I worked hired him. Some people didn't like this. After awhile, we each transferred to different sites, so it wasn't a problem anymore. Honestly, I think the fact that we were together made some things easier, because we got a lot more done, but some people in the other department complained. Not anyone in our department and our supervisor actually found it quite convenient, but it's all in politics these days, It was nicer working at different places, anyway. There was more variety.
@sjvg1976 (18375)
Hello Ragikutty, It depends on company to company as the place where i work presently don't allow husband and wife to work together as they feel that their output get decreased but there are lots of call centers which don't think it to be bad and don't mind it much.I think it depends on you if you like to work and find the environment suitable for you to continue with the job then its OK otherwise quit the job.
hi ragikutty, I guess it is fine as long as you are both matured in handling your relationship in the office. Just be discreet about it if it is the company's policy or perhaps just do it out of courtesy It would only be a problem if one of you gets childish about a certain stuff. My boyfriend and I work in one company together and we are even teammates. Though it may not be the same as when you are husband and wife but it is somehow relevant. At first, our teammates tease us but as time went by, the news just became a news. In other words, nobody cares anymore! Hehe Good luck!
@eljayo (1107)
Hi! It depends upon the personality of both person. I think its okay but atleast give yourself a time away from him. Like going out with your friends once in a while sot hat he'll miss you.:))
@nurseclare (2210)
for my own point of view, i dont feel like working with my partner in a same company,..it will be pressure and a lot boring,, I think i can grow more and express myself without him. If i we're in your side i will look for a different work. I cant sleep well at night when i know my officemates are trying to hard to pull us DOWN, so crab mentality and insecure..HOPE you guys can fix things up.May GOD BLESS you..
@beamer88 (4267)
There are actually some companies that have policies that discourage employees from having relationships with a co-employee, let alone marriage. It might seem as if the company is insensitive, but it actually is a sound policy. Most relationships undergo the usual arguments and fights. And with both of you working in the same office, your performance would really be affected if both of you say had an argument that wasn't resolved before going to work.