Enough With The Freaking Singing TV Shows Already!

i know i sound like a grumpy person and even though i didnt like american idol (just not my thing and always felt bad for the people shot down or didnt make it) and shows that were similar i could deal. then glee came and i know there are a ton of glee fans out there but i was ok with that. then voice and now a new singing song is popping up this monday! i obviously know how to change the channel so its not like im forced to watch it but it seems to be growing at a rapid pace and i cant stand musicals and singing/talent shows etc so i fear it will just get worse! am i the only one that thinks these shows are slowly dominating tv? and are you for it and love them or like me and rather not have it taking up a time slot of something better?
@CarlHalling (3629)
Pop idol? - No...just me singing in what I think was a pub many years ago now.
I very rarely watch them, even though unless I'm mistaken, Pop Idol and the X Factor both originated from my country, the United Kingdom. The amount of time I've spent watching singing talent shows over the years is very little, even though I have to confess I actually auditioned for the X Factor when it was relatively new. I wasn't in the best of states on the day of my audition, which took place in Wembley in West London, not too far from me. Consequently I did poorly, and was not selected to actually appear before the cameras, or indeed judges. It's not as if I've got a bad voice, in fact I've got a very good one (http://myspace.com/swingtette), but my performance was weak, and I chose the wrong song. But I'd have liked to have gotten a big break. Even though I myself do not watch them by choice, I recognise that these shows can give a singer a pretty good career. Such as those of Leona Lewis and Susan Boyle, both internationally successful singing artists.
Sorry, the link didn't work...here it is again: http://myspace.com/swingtette
Yeah the USA kinda stole all our shows from yall (and movies) and butchered them
@NailTech (6892)
I kind of like some of them, but ones like Glee doesn't make me excited at all. I like the Voice, American Idol and the X Factor. My family hates them, but don't care. They have what they watch that I consider to be boring and vice versa, it's all a matter of tastes and what you like or don't. There are alot of cooking shows on too at times and I like them as well, even the ones on digital TV. I like "reality" shows in general cause they are so different the the shows I used to watch as kid. I got so tired of watching the boring sitcoms and police shows.
They have really overkilled on Police shows also
@LadyMarissa (12165)
All of these shows run in cycles & I'm hoping the singing cycles will be phased out soon...right behind reality shows!!! I watched Idol off & on for several years, but have stopped watching it now. I've NEVER turned to the X-Factor out of fear I'll get hooked & I cannot stand Simon!!! I really enjoyed The Voice last year & plan to watch it this year to see if I still enjoy it. I really like the concept of that show & they seem to support the winners with their careers. I also like The Sing-Off. I'm finding that the NBC singing competitions to not be so negative. I used to watch So You Think You Can Dance & America's Got Talent, but have grown bored with both of them also!!! It seems to me that any show Simon Fuller or Simon Cowell has an affiliation with becomes boring & unnecessarily mean!!! So, I no longer watch if I see either name come up!!!
Your right any shows with either domineering usually do end up mean or at least having mean moments to the contestants
@sender621 (14956)
There does seem to be a run on singing television programs lately. i think i was more in tune with this when it was only American Idol/. Idol seemed to get the ball rolling for everyone else to jump on board.
I could stomach when there were just the starting ones but I still didn't watch them. Now there's just more & more
@echomonster (2229)
• Greenwood, Mississippi
I agree with you 100%. Perhaps it's odd since I do love music, but I honestly find all the talent and musical shows boring...give me a good scripted show any day of the week! Unfortunately, as long as these shows remain popular we're probably going to get more of them, not fewer.
I'm the same. I love music but hate the shows
@jillhill (37399)
I would rather watch hgtv....or a movie. I am not so into these types of programs.....or any type similar. I get the feeling they are struggling for new programs to keep us entertained and these seem to draw a big audience.
I got the same feeling when they started changing judges around
So actually im not with you on this becasue i love American Idol and like watching that show and i like the X factor as well and so does my boyfriend and im not a fan of the glee show but i do like there voices and im sure if i watched it from the begining and would continue watching it i wouldnt mind it buti cant get into a show i barely ever watch. Im glad that tonight American Idol comes on because most nights there isnt much on TV for me because i enjoy watching the reality shows and like seeing the singers out there and how they try out and get to were they are.
Wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have several at a time & every season being the same. After awhile all the contestants from American idol start blending in together. I also felt bad when tell someone they are awful (at least when Simon was there. Haven't seen any with new cast) & you see people crushed :(
@bunnybon7 (34323)
• Holiday, Florida
i feel you are right. we need something new or like they took off. lately theres more and more crime shows to which i do like, but we should have more better twist on them or something. like they took Monk off. i really loved that show. and yrs. ago they had Columbo another funny fun one. why dont they bring one like that back. at least its not just singing without plots or anything.
All the good shows are disappearing :(
@beamer88 (4268)
I guess there are a lot of viewers who prefer these types of shows. Otherwise, producers wouldn't have invested in them. I do understand how you feel though. I on the other hand am a bit fed up with reality shows and talk shows. And between "singing" shows and reality shows, I'd rather watch the former. But I would much prefer that they show more movies instead :)
There are a few talk shows I can stand but most if them are just same ol same ol
@KrauseHome (34152)
Personally I think sometimes they are over doing it with a lot of these Talent type competition shows, and sometimes do feel Sorry for some of them they put on there, as I feel even some of the Good singers sometimes get overlooked. What bugs me about IDOL is when there is someone on there that is REALLY BAD and they continue to keep them on there sending someone else home, just so they can somehow get a ONE HIT wonder and be Big for a while. Or do they just want people to make Fun of them? My favorite of all the Singing shows right now is THE VOICE. I have never watched Glee as it does not interest me. The one getting ready to start tomorrow not sure if I am interested or not. The good thing if you have Cable is that there is so much out there to choose from to where you are just not limited to one.
Unfortunately in efforts to save money I went to basic cable which has like less than 20 channels so not many options for me
@mythociate (14431)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Well, one of them is over-for-good tonight, glee But THAT type of musical is more 'a fantasy' (like Saved by the Bell and ... lots of other TV-shows about 'growing up'---which you KNOW are mostly middle-aged people reliving their wished-for memories of teenage-years) than a 'talent-show.' Kinda like those Bollywood films where random people just drop everything and dance in formation (which people try to imitate in real life by staging 'Flash-Mobs'---where you arrange for a group of people to all be in the same place & do something on cue there ... like sometimes a group of people will all be in a store and will all switch to slow-motion when they hear an announcement on the PA). But the 'talent-show'-ones, that's just like Karaoke with a wider broadcast-area. It's been going since Star Search with Ed McMahon (and probably for millenia before that), and will only evolve again-and-again in the future!
OPERA MINI USERS CLICK HERE UNTIL SKIP ADD APPEARS! Please Wait..     AdF.ly : shorten urls and earn money Your Site Here: 10,000 visitors / $5.00 You are about to be redirected. In order to reach your destination link, please click to stay on the page and