Why is poverty looked down upon?

We all are witnesses to how friends are dropped like dead leaves when they no longer have money. Why should poverty be a yardstick to measure the importance of an individual? I have friends no matter what their position. Here is one who owns a six bedroom house but has no money even to have a square meal. She continues to be my best friend and we keep in touch every single day. How about you?
@carmelanirel (20979)
I have a variety of friends who are much poorer and wealthier than I where money is concerned. I had one friend who when she took her kids to McDonalds, she'd only buy them a cheeseburger and water, no fires or happy meal..Needless to say, my own child at the time learned that not everyone gets a happy meal. I am still friends with her, but only on FB now since she moved..Then I have friends who have so much, I can't begin to image living that way, even though I go to her house quite often. As for the reason that divisions happen when someone becomes poor? It could be greed, that someone doesn't want anything to do with someone who can't help them if they have a need, or perhaps the one in poverty is ashamed and doesn't want to appear weak in front the their former friends.
It depends on those who are better off who see that the lack of money situation does not raise its ugly head and believe me it is possible. This friend of mine who was once rich never has a complex as make her feel that she is indispensable to me. The poor withdraw from the scene merely because the scene is not a happy one for them to be in.
That's true, it's hard to be happy when one doesn't have what others do and it makes them uncomfortable..
As I said carmel.. it depends on how others make that person feel. A person who is considered 'poor' need not feel out of place if a cordial environment is created around.
@Ganesh44 (5547)
see thats a pretty serious evil human beings are aquiring fastly these days but I m with you I dont bother rich or poor I only prefer one who is good human being not necessarily rich ....the trend in society to throw away poor people makes me feel sad .....and I always pray to GOD to give me huge money so that I can feed all poors free of cost and I m sure GOD one day will listen my prayers .......... Hare Krishna Ganesh
I have this brother. Everyone shunned him as he was a failure. But today he is doing well and all my nieces and nephews are surrounding him. I get disgusted looking at the scenario.
@Ganesh44 (5547)
yes I m sorry for this brother but at the same time happy to know that he regained his strength back ........ But it looks cheap to shun someone on failure and hug the same on success .....its very bad and such practices mush be stopped Hare Krishna Ganesh
Poverty is not really a hindrance when we talk about relationship with other people. We are very lucky to be in a situation which others longing for.Some people treated harshly when they know your status in life. It seems like the world is full of inequalities. Others respect and appreciate how others striving to earn more for their family. We are fortunate,our parents had done incredible job to achieve their goals, attaining our needs and wants in life. I had a friend who had nothing else to go and I understand her situation. I am very lucky to have her as one of my friend.
It is folly to think that the poor are less fortunate. Being fortunate has nothing to do with money. They for example could have qualities that the rich could envy.
Some people degraded the poor but they don't know the poor is more richer than rich who faking their status. Some people become rich because of their corruption. Other they became rich because they work hard for it, sweating and hard- work to make their future better. I do believe in sayings. Try harder until you reach the top. And so am i trying to be successful with my value and virtues. I could say I like to be on the poor side cause I don't always mind my wealth on this world.
@bounce58 (17526)
The best of friends I know are the ones I met in high school. That was when we litereally had nothing. No money to go around, and would often do a little bit of hussling so we could go anywhere or buy anything. These friends I keep because even though some of them are (filthy) rich now, and some are the still the same wallowing in poverty, we still treat each other as equals. Specially when it comes to busting each other's chops!
I too am in touch with my school mates and in fact I was the first one to collect them for a get together and as you said we are at different levels be it position or monetary status but that has not affected any of us. We are a wonderful batch and we meet ever so often - not all of us but some at a time!
@megamatt (14331)
I think it s lot of fear of what they might become if they are not careful. And also let's face it, a lot of friendships are not really friendships for the simple reason that they are trying to figure out what a person gets out of the friendship. There are a lot of extremely selfish people in the world and it is almost sad but it is very true. And naturally there are a lot of people who fear that they might lose it all if they hang around those who are not all that well off. It is a stupid fear, but there are a lot of stupid fears right in the world. A lot of what humans do makes no sense to say the very least. I think that I have friends that are comfortable and then slightly not as well off. Don't know that many people that are too well off, when they would be considered to be rich, but that might be a good thing.
With strong principles anyone can wade through no matter what the situation and this applies to retaining a friendship no matter what happens to one's status in life.
@flower21 (766)
well, that really a far weather friends and many act like that for a longer times. so until the situation changes, the way they look upon a friend changes too . such a friends with benefits. when they find the friend could not afford anything. they would start to neglect the friendship, because they think that friend could be a burden to them. in my case whatever the status of my friend with lows and ups in her lfe. i would remain the same and share whatever help i could extend.
There is more to friendship than wanting to know one's bank balance. That is the last thing that can fortify a friendship. You are doing the right thing and that is how it should be.
@JenInTN (27565)
I don't think that money or material possessions are a measure of someone at all. I think there is alot more to life and people than the things that they have or don't have. I would rather have one true friend and be poor than have a thousand friends and a million dollars and always have to wonder if it was really my money that made them like me.
Judging a person's wealth has more to do than mere money. I have known people who hardly have a dime but are intellectuals whose company would be an asset for anyone who would want to spend time, interestingly.
all knowing to me I do not measure my friends by what money they have nor they for me. That's not a yardstick to measure a good friend by at all.My best friend is in her seventies and her son 'is out of work so hers is the only salary.they are such great people and really have to stretch things to make ends meet by the end of the month.she would love to retire but she cannot until her son starts working someplace. he is really trying too but so far has not lucked out either.Whats so sad he is trained as a film editor and now the job market in Burbank and Holly wood is empty for film editors. He owes a lot of money for the film editing college he went too so getting a job is vital to him. My friend Nelda and I are in touch all the wo rking week she emails me and I respond. we keep in touch all the time which is so wonderful for me stuck here like I am.
I know of a film star who is a good friend of my friend. My friend belongs to the middle class but this film star who rose from the ranks did not give up her friendship with my friend and till today they are on equal terms. Great. Is it not?
I know of one person who told me of a story of his friend. The friend was once filthy rich. But my friend told me that he personally tried to avoid his once-rich-friend. I asked him why? And he said, because he fears that the guy would ask to borrow money from him. He said that it is most likely because the guy is used to material things and everything at his back and call. I don't know. That is just what he told me.
These are isolated cases where the situation calls for caution.
@jazel_juan (15767)
There are really people who does that. But i personally do not, i have friends who are not rich either and are working so they could sustain their daily needs yet i am still good friends with them..and support them and vice versa. But unfortunately, there are really people i have known who is gone..and with circles who are rich and famous.
What we really need is a nice interaction for which money is not the parameter. Matching interests, pleasant manners are some of the things that have no bearing on the rich or poor.
@averygirl72 (16656)
If you are brought up in a wealthy family you would surely look down on the poor. For them poverty is like a curse or a disease that they don't want to mingle with impoverished people. However, if you grew up in poverty and then you get rich you have sympathy with the poor as you understand their experience.
It is ignorance that the poor are in anyway to be looked down upon. Every one has a right to be happy whether rich or poor. Not all rich are happy.
@barehugs (8986)
Is poverty really despised? Is the fictional character of Jesus (poor as a church mouse) looked down upon? There is a difference between those who aspire to be seen as wealthy, and those rich in spirit, who shun worldly possessions. Those rich in spirituality make by far the best friends!
In this materialistic world money plays a huge role. Money is required but shunning those who are poor is indeed upsetting as you said there are other areas where one can far excel the rich.
@GemmaR (8526)
I have been in a fairly bad financial situation lately, and I have noticed that a lot of people don't bother to invite me out with them anymore because they know that I'm not going to be able to afford the same things as they will, and they can't be bothered with that. I don't mind this because I know that if they were good friends and worth the trouble at all then they would stay in touch with me and be supportive. The fact that they've chosen not to be there for me shows that they're not worth being there at all.
I can understand your not being included where money would be required but there are several other situations one can happily mix and mingle without reminding about who is rich and who is poor.
@cutepenguin (6457)
I stay friends with people based on our common interests and ability to be supportive of each other. Money doesn't have anything to do with it. That being said, if a friend continues to be broke because they keep making the same mistakes and then complaining about it, it can be hard to spend time with them.
There could be those poor who could be in that situation because of their own bad habits and such people are normally shunned not because they are poor but because their habits put off others.
@clouds0327 (1390)
I have seen a lot of people that like making friends with popular, rich and powerful ones. They are one of the reason why there are people who end up nothing and without friends when they start going down. These people just make friends for benefits. They are gonna put you on a pedestal if you have much but once you haven't got anything they are also the ones in the frontline to push you on the ground. I guess all we have to do is to make a careful selection of our friends. It doesn't have to be many. You may only have 2-3 close friends but if they are real they will stay with you forever. In this real world, money manipulates everything, that's a fact. You can't eat, go to school, buy your clothes etc. without, it is not the most important though, but we should accept the fact that money is so powerful that you can control people, kill people, forget and betray people because of it. The reason why people don't want to do anything with their friends who have nothing is because they are afraid that this person will come asking help from the. They can't help because they don't have money too. They don't want to be involved when money is concerned.
The world is losing a lot with this attitude. No money does not mean they are worthless.
@Bluedoll (17069)
For Mother Teresa poverty was her chosen work, in fact it was her mandate, she needed it to pursue her goals. Some people want something else and work towards that goal. It is simply a matter of selection. Poverty has little to do with friends. It is a life style chosen or not. We establish a circle of relationships with our life style. Friends are not friends if they let money get in the way.
In the case of Mother Teresa it was the case of showing pity. That is not what I am talking about but giving the poor friends equal status and treating them with respect.
@phyrre (2324)
I don't think that poverty is such a big deal. A large number of people, especially around here, are in the lower class or just barely in the low middle class so if we were to get picky about having mid- to upper-middle class friends around here no one would have any friends. xD To be honest, I don't think I even know the financial situation of any of my friends. It's not really something I ask. I mean, I know that they're almost always "broke" because who doesn't go around saying "I have no money" even if you really do? It's really come to mean "I don't want to spend any money" lol. It shouldn't be about the money a person makes, though, but about their character. Actually, some of the nicest, most generous people I've ever known have lived in poverty. You hear about it all the time. If you've got millions or billions and decide to help others that's great, but sometimes it seems more like some people do it out of a false sense of obligation solely because they have money. But I've seen some people who have no money who take from what they don't have to help others. I've seen poor people who barely have enough to eat themselves share with their dog or pets. I've seen poor people give money to homeless people because at the end of the day they know that they're not doing that bad because at least they have a roof over their head and a bed to go home to. I think it's more of a sacrifice to give what you have little of, which could mean not only money but time as well. Obviously not all poor people live this way, but my point was that you can't judge someone based off of their income because there are good people who live in poverty and bad people who have millions. The amount of currency a person has doesn't make them a good or a bad friend.
You copied this entire respose from my mind. Did you not?Every word of what you have said are my thoughts too phyrre. I don't call myself filthy rich but I am comfortable compared to many of my friends but not for a moment does this thought about someone being rich and someone else being poor comes to mind. Splendid thought phyrre
Boy that's a good question! I'm in the 'middle class' I guess. I see both sides. I don't look down on the people who have less than me or the people who have more than me. For some people that have a lot of money (or, at least, a huge annual income) see it as status. My husband and I have friends on both ends. The poor people have bigger, more generous hearts and the wealthy people have fake hearts and don't like hearing about the person who is having difficulty making their "low" mortgage payment. The wealthy people we know complain about higher taxes and difficulty in finding ways to invest their money, so they don't have to feel guilty about being wealthy. The poor person who saves for months and months to buy a new pair of jeans (plain kind, not designer) feels rich and is very appreciative for what they have. It's hard to understand why some are wealthy and some are poor. Is it that the wealthy are smarter? greedy? college graduates? blessed with good luck? working hard to earn what they have? wealthy by inheritance? Is it that the poor are lazy? working hard for their small paychecks? depressed? content? high school drop outs? thankful for what they have? I have no idea but I know that I don't judge people by what they have or don't have, and what they earn or don't earn.
Wonderful thinking HTS! Yes. It is hard to think why some are rich and some are poor. I would only avoid the poor for different reasons and not because they are poor. Even my gardener can teach me a thing or two. They are a treasure trove of knowledge which unfortunately they do not make use of for their well being but suffice it to say their knowledge could be useful to others.
poverty is for me, not a hindrance to success but mostly people looked down persons who r poor coz they r in their minds that they could not help them in their needs.thats a wrong options.no matter who we are in our way of living ,we should not take for granted to those who are poor coz we could not tell that for the coming years they will be pushed up highly and those who take them for granted will be down to earth..nobody knows what is ahead...
Yes. One never knows. Table do turn sometimes and those who were rich once become poor and vice versa. Poor need to be respected because they may not have money but could be endowed with other blessings.
@burrito88 (2779)
She has 6 bedrooms? Has she never thought about taking in boarders? Some people feel that those with low income are inferior or lazy. I think that all some might take a religious bent and think that the poor might have offended God or are otherwise unworthy of having wealth. Of course, there are others who have nothing because they are truly pious.
The hassle of having boarders I suppose for her is worse than not having money. It takes all sorts to make this world and the poor are a part of it. There are wonderful poor people who are an asset around. Consigning them as being a burden is wrong.