Artificial Light Can Be So Wearing On The Eyes

@Janey1966 (24127)
Carlisle, England
I reckon sensitivity to artificial light runs in my family (on my Mum's side) as I remember my Nan used to sit in her house watching television in the dark. Her son does this in his little home he's now living in. Whenever me and Mum go to visit him he's sat on his bed in the dark, watching telly, in the middle of the day lol. I don't go that far (and neither does Mum) but I think she's got her lighting right compared to mine. Granted, her windows let in more natural light but, even at the back of the room (kitchen) she has halogen lighting in the ceiling. You can actually see it on my avatar. In the extension she has two wall lights plus a table lamp, all of which use halogen bulbs. In fact, that whole room is a halogen frenzy lol. I do have a lamp above me (to the side) on a media unit using a bog-standard 40 watt bulb that is the highest one we can buy now (the 60, 100w, etc have all been withdrawn from sale). I can't have the lamp on my computer desk as there is no room for it. However, if I buy a new computer desk I've seen on ebay with my birthday money in March this will solve that problem as it's a wider desk. In actual fact, I could then have a desk lamp and I'd love to hear from you if they're good or otherwise. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMPUTER-DESK-HOME-OFFICE-SUPERB-VALUE-ITEM-NIB-/120667538291?pt=UK_Home_Garden_HomeOfficeFurniture_SM&hash=item1c18588373#ht_1520wt_905 The above is for reference only. I haven't researched desk lamps yet! I did think about wall lights but they would have to be rather large to look OK on our walls. I want to steer away from the main lights as there is a five-way light coming from the ceiling (where we watch telly) and I hate the light it produces. I would much prefer one of those father and child free-standing lamps that use halogen and can be dimmed. The "child" light can be used independently for reading. http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=428939 The above is for reference only. Does anyone have halogen as their main light source? Is it better for the eyes? I know Mum's lighting is better for mine!
@inertia4 (27605)
Well, whenever I am watching TV or on the computer I always need a light shining. I have overhead lights in all my rooms. I have no lamps. So, the overhead gives perfect light for me to see what I am doing. In addition to that, the one thing that you should never do is to watch TV in the dark. That will hurt your eyes more. Always have a light on, and it should be behind you as well.
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
Fortunately, I'm not taking after my Nan in the "watching telly in the dark" department...and she had terrible vision so I know what you mean!
@inertia4 (27605)
Good for you. Always have that light on when doing those things.
I have never heard that somebody is sensitive to artificial light before.Judge by that you prefer father and child free-standing lamp which is dimmed, if I can understand that you dislike the strong light they produce.I now use both incandescent lamp and energy-saving lamp ,which is a kind of compact fluorescent lamp with rectifier in it.
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
Yet another bulb blew in my downstairs lamp today. All I did was move it to clean the base! Managed to find another bulb though, fortunately. Yes, I would love a father and child lamp but that would be behind me for when we watch television. Where I am now with the lamp nearby I could do with swapping that for a desk lamp, once I find a computer desk big enough for a lamp to go on lol.
They say that it may protect our eyesight for us to keep a lamp behind us when we watct TV.
@bounce58 (17524)
I don't know if this response is right for this, but anyway... I like watching (ice) hockey. And one of their biggest concerns right now are concussions. They say that most players getting hit in the head have issues with light-sensitivity. I too have issues with too much brightness. I keep wondering if this is because I slipped in my driveway a few years ago and hit my head on the pavement. Maybe I need some of this halogen lighting.