the period talk

By C
@ShyBear88 (17158)
What do you think you should have a talk about what a period is to your daughter or when did you? When I was a young girl my mom had the period talk with me in our car the just the two of us girls when I was 9 year old. I know you might thing that is young but that is when I started going through puberty. My mom explained it to what a period was and what it mean. Of course she told me not to freak out when it happened and to scream. I did freak out a little bit when it did happen when I was 11 but I didn't scream was just every nervous that I was no longer a little girl but a young women. Now I'm a mom and I have a daughter. I have a good while till I need to have that talk with my daughter about her having her first period. I think I might give her the talk when she 9 or if possible a few years after that depending if she goes through puberty early like me or closer into her teen years. If she starts developing breast then I know its kind of time for the talk. All girls do go through puberty at different times and not always at the same age as a girls mom.
@kukueye (1761)
i guess as soon the girl can and able to understand the sexulity lessons then can teach , you can browse the internet for picture and materials as guide and advice for such topic i guess it can be a gradual health education .the sooner the better .
@deedee328 (1127)
I am confused... what does living in a foreign country or being poor have to do with knowing about the female body parts? Even without formal education and money, once you have a few periods or babies of your own, you can figure out the major stuff. Girls have their periods much earlier these days than they did in my time. We were all in our early teens, and then my step daughter was much younger than that. I agree that optimally, you should have the talk before they start actually having periods, but I don't think they need to know years in advance that one day they will start experiencing all of these changes to their bodies.
@ShyBear88 (17158)
Opps this comment got put under the wrong person. Some one said I'll have to look to see who said because I can't remember. That people in more well off countries have periods before other girls in none well off countries and I disagree with that. All girls no matter where they live in the world will have a period some times in there life around the age of 9 to 18 some earlier then that and some later then that. I think as a mom that you do need to talk about it if someone doesn't want to give all the dirty detals that is fine that is them and there child. But me I would tell my child everything like my mom did. Its not like my mom explained how you get pregnant but what the period means. It means that you are now able to have a baby and get pregnant. That babies tend to come out from that part of the body. My daughter is the oldest some I'm sure before she is even 9 I'll have to explain where baby's kind of come from and how they come out of the body. So by the time she has the period talk it'll all make logical scenes to her. Normally girls will have a period around the same age as there mom. It might not be the same age but close too it.
@deedee328 (1127)
I think that parents should have this discussion with their daughters when it is appropriate for the child. There is no set age. My step daughter started having her periods at 10, so we had the discussion then. I made sure that she knew that this was a natural part of maturing and nothing to be embarrassed about. Girls especially need to be taught to be comfortable with their bodies and in their own skin. I think we all were probably a little freaked out the first time. It is a scary thing if you don't realize what is going on and know to expect it.
@deedee328 (1127)
I did not have a set time frame in my head as to when I would discuss puberty all the changes that their bodies would go through with my kids. I knew what to watch for (as I had been there myself) and I had always made them understand that they could come to me with ANY question they had. I took my cues from the child. When they noticed things and asked about them, I answered their questions in an age appropriate manner.
@ShyBear88 (17158)
See to me that isn't a good thing just waiting for them to come to you. I feel a parent should always go to there kids weather they are asking the questions or not. Just waiting for them to have a question about there body or feelings towards other people then things can be a bit to late. A lot of parents do that and then end up having to deal with something they didn't want to deal with till there kids where in there 20's. My parents never waited thank goodness for that because then I was didn't do stupid things that I would have done if I just waited around to go to them when I felt like it. Those out of places questions or talks where better made me a better young women and I wasn't like some of my friends siblings where there parents waited to long to say anything about anything. All my friend learned from school and then looked to me since I was the first of them all to go through it. Now I"m the first mother out of all of my friends as well.
@dodo19 (32553)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
My mom gave me the period talk as well. Like you, I was also nine when we had, as I was starting puberty. I can't remember exactly everything of that conversation, as it was ages ago, but she pretty much explained what it was and such. I pretty glad that we had that talk. It's certainly something that I plan on doing with my daughter, but I have time to prepare, as she's only two months old. But it will come sooner or later.
@ShyBear88 (17158)
Oh yeah you have a long time to plan out and think of what you want to say and how you want to say it. My daughter is only a year but I always thinking about stuff like this and how I would talk to her about it. I'm pretty comfortable about talking about things like this.
@bjc66bjc (6745)
Hi ShyBear, I think it always depend on the child and how ready you think they are... Its been so long since that time that I don't even remember if my mother ever had the conversation with me...But I am sure by the time you daughter reaches anywhere near that age, you will definately know when the time is right....
My mother never had to give me the talk because our school did that. I'm sure if I asked my mother questions she would answer them for me though. But when we were in 6th grade I believe it was there was an assembly for girls about the changes our bodies were going through and were going to go through. They gave us maxi pads and deodorant.
@ShyBear88 (17158)
My school did the same thing when I was in 6th grand with permission from the parents of course. But my mom gave me a talk way before then at least 3 years before then. I already had my period before Middle school started.