mylot discussions and responses mails?

Ok I really hate to do this, but I have googled and come up with no answer, and I have tried to search on Mylot also, but for some reason it’s not bringing me up any related discussions. Those of you who know me, know I won’t post discussions with tedious questions about Mylot and it’s workings but I cannot find this answer out on my own. I’m not receiving emails to my email account, with new discussions started by my friends, or responses to my discussions. The last email I received to my Hotmail account was 30/01/2012.. or 01/30/2012 for our non-British friends. I would usually log on and have email copies of all of the responses to my discussions, and an emailed copy of all the discussions my friends have started, but so far in February, nothing. Has this actually happened for a reason? Like has Mylot done this? Or is it just me and everyone else is receiving them fine? Opinions and answers please.
@owlwings (39104)
• Cambridge, England
This has been discussed several times recently but most of the discussions have disappeared either because they were 'duplicate topics' or because they were an 'individual issue'. It appears that MyLot are well aware of the 'glitches' in sending out emails and are trying to deal with it 'behind the scenes'. Your problem seems to be more severe than that of most people, however. Such a long period without any emails could either be a problem at MyLot's end (in which case you should send a PM to GoAskAlice asking him to look into it) or it MIGHT be because your mail is 'bouncing'. Are you receiving other mail to that particular address? Try testing it by sending yourself an email from another email address (or get a friend to send you one). If you (or they) get an error message saying that the mail cannot be delivered, then that could be the reason that MyLot notifications aren't getting through. The reason is usually that you have used up the space allocation but I have occasionally had problems (with my Gmail) where there doesn't seem to be any obvious explanation. Again, it is worth asking GoAskAlice in a PM to check to see if MyLot are getting bounce errors for your account.
Hi Owlwings, obviously I am not an expert where computers and site are concerned, but what makes a glitch only happen to certain people and not most or all if it is on mylot's end??
@owlwings (39104)
• Cambridge, England
There could be many reasons for erratic behaviour of an automatic program like this. Usually such a system is designed so that individual jobs are queued to a server which then sends out the email, fetches the next job from the queue, sends that and so on. If the queue buffer is not big enough to hold all the jobs at busy times, some may simply be lost. This will affect people randomly and will depend simply on whether it happens to be a busy period or not. Another type of error may happen if, for any reason, a mail is not transmitted properly or is refused by the receiving server. This actually happens much more often than most people realise. When you are sending mail manually from your PC, you may notice that it sometimes takes a little longer for a "Mail sent" message to appear. This can often be because your mail (or part of it) was lost or corrupted somewhere along the line. Your mail client always waits for a 'successful transmission' message to be received from the server it was passed on to and, if it doesn't receive one, it will try to send it again. Often it is set to give up after a certain number of such attempts. An automatic mail sender has to do the same thing and it has to be set to give up after a certain time, otherwise the work would never get done. Programmers will try to set the 'time out' interval at a reasonable level so that the majority of messages will be sent but this might still mean that certain email addresses may take longer to send to than others. This will result in some people receiving most or all of the mails sent and others receiving few or none. Both of the above are, ultimately, a result of problems with the automatic mailing program, though the second example may also be a function of a particular mail server outside the control of MyLot's programmers. I hope that explains at least two of the possible problems satisfactorily!
thanks owlwings.. but it gets better. since i posted this discussion, all my email notifications have started again haha!
check it on your preferences, on notification. here the link http://www.mylot.com/nr/editNotifications.aspx
everything fine :( lol.
hmmm... i think you need to send PM to admin. well, it sound strange because my email notification work good.
it's all fixed now!! :)
@Sreekala (22720)
I have checked your profile and you have very less number of friends. So I guess your friends are not started topics in this period. That may the reason for not getting notifications on your friend’s topics. We too have not received notifications for a period of time but administration corrected it and I do receive notifications at the moment. But I noticed one thing the number of notifications are very less comparing to the past and I understand that many of my friends are not active or do not start topics. However, I have no idea why you are not getting notifications when you receive responses for your topics. It may be a glitch and you can contact mylot administration.
thanks sreekala, but nearly all the few friends i do have are all active, so i should be receiving atleast 10 emails a day :)
That is what I was going to say, I am pretty active here, so it can't be that..
lol hi carm! :)
@carmelanirel (20979)
What Owlwings said is the best, though I did inquire about how a glitches only are on certain accounts and not everyone's if it is on this end..(So now I know why you haven't been replying to my post...) I hope they get it fixed for you soon..
all working now that i posted this discussion.. can't get much weirder than that. no email from mylot since 30/1/2012.. even though i've posted 3 or 4 discussions since then, and now my notifications are working fine lol!
That's good..:)
@GreenMoo (11842)
No problem here, but I do find it really frustrating not to receive email notification of responses to my responses to my discussions (does that make any sense?!). Not that that is what you'd complaining of, but it was a good opportunity to vent :)
no yes i know exactly what you mean. that is annoying because you have to go back in and find the discussion to check if it's been responded to.. especially if it's something you've asked and would like to know the answer to. very time consuming. and since i posted this discussion.. i started getting notifications again ahaha!
@myfb2009 (8304)
Hi Chicksdig, before i ever happened for a few days that i didn't receive any email at all from here. I send message to the admin direct and within a few hours, i got back all those pending emails into my inbox. I think you should send email direct to the admin to resolve your problem. Hopefully, your problem will be resolved soon.
@myzhian (586)
I got e-mails all the time. I guess you need to check your account and e-mail settings. This is might be the reason why you're not receiving mails in you inbox.
thanks for your comment but it's working now :)
I’m not having that problem. I’m getting all of my notifications. There might be a glitch with some of the accounts around the world. I’m not sure how Mylot works … maybe there are more than one server? I’m not sure. I would send a message to GoAskAlice… just send him a PM and tell him your problem and he will check it out for you… if it’s a glitch he will tell you.. or if it is some other reason, he will probably tell you also.
thank you for your comment. i think mylot admin must have took notice of my discussion because after i posted this discussion it started to work :)
@JohnRok1 (2051)
This has happened to me a couple of times now with my mylot digest. Both times it has been solved by my going to my profile, cancelling the requests, and then reinstating them.
thank you for your comment! :)
Weird - hope you get sorted as not sure what it could be as I have not been very active lately but, I am definitely still receiving emails from mylot aout new discussions my friends are starting and any responses to any I have started!
all sorted now, but thanks frankie!!
@sid556 (31006)
If I were you, I'd contact Mylot admin. Mine seem to be coming in slow but I'm getting them. I have no idea why you would not be getting any at all but if you e-mail Mylot the they should be able to answer your questions.
it'd all fixed now.. but thank you for your comment. apparently goaskalice made a discussion about it, but i couldn't find it.. my mylot search bar seems to not be working for me either, so i can't seem to search for a particular topic.. it'll all sort itself out eventually hopefully :)
hiu chicksdigscars it seems to be sporadic as I am in California 'and have been getting all my mylot notifications but a lot of others are reporting the same problem. I think I saw a discussion by GoaskAlice saying they knew about the notifications problems so please do not keep making discussions on this. but I am not sure what day it was I saw this. As I said I have had no problems but a good many other mylotters have had the same complaints so its some glitches of some sort and mylot is working on it.hope it clears up soon for you and all my other mylot friends too.
hi hatley, almost as soon as i started this discussion they fixed it for me. had no idea that goaskalice had started a discussion about it, because for some reason my mylot search isn't working, and i can't seem to search topics either. but it's all working now :)
@digidogo (446)
Hey, good that you started a discussion on this. I am in the same situation as you. I was actually wondering why people are not commenting on my responses. Now I see that it is good to assume myLot as the problem. We should probably wait and see what happens. I used to be bombarded with notifications from myLot but it suddenly stopped. GOod to know we are not alone
mine is all working again.. now it didn't send me my missing notifications, it just started from yesterdays date onward, so i'll have to actually go back and view everything i wrote and commented on through mylot, but it did start working again. did you start a discussion about it also?