So, how much should we earn to avoid robbing Peter to pay Paul?

@yanzalong (10174)
Indonesia
My salaries are raised every year. The rise is appoximately 10 - 15 % but still my money doesn't go far. this is because the price of food also rises every year. Its rise is even higher than the salary. Most families can not even make ends meet and often times they have to rob Peter to pay Paul just to get their head above water. does this also happen in your neighbourhood?
hi yanzalong this happens here in the USA also.Here in 'California where I live the rents have doubled over the years and our wages and salaries have not risen to equal that.California is one of the highest cost of living places in the US. food is higher,rent are higher and houses are more expensive than a lot of other states. mostly because people want to be in a warm climate and some are willing to pay whatever it takes to stay in our warmer state.We on the other hand are stuck here as it costs w a y more to move than we can afford. Robbing Peter to pay Paul happens here all the time.
@yanzalong (10174)
Yes, it happens everywhere, especially in poor countries. I thought in the USA, every citizen was guaranteed to live comfortably. I've got another guess coming, then.
@adhyz82 (36263)
yes like that in my place too like that.. you can imagine if the government raise the price of BBM..
@yanzalong (10174)
the higher the cost of living, the more miserable the citizens will be. The gap between the poor and the rich is so wide.....don't you think, bro?
@adhyz82 (36263)
yes of course the number of poor people will be increasing if the price of BBM will be increased.. so maybe the Goverment must calculate once again..
@yanzalong (10174)
I think most people in Kendari are rich, so the rise in BBM does not really cause troubles to them. Telkomsel people are rich as well. Just imagine the company can get big profit just from SMS services.
• Pamplona, Spain
Hiya yanza, Here we would have to earn much much more money than the actual Wage that they pay here. So here they are having to have to rob Peter to pay Paul all the time. Wages here are paid Monthly so to get to the end of the Month has become very difficult for most People. Robbing Peter to pay Paul is a common practice. There are practically no Wages rises here at the moment. We also have one of the highest rates of Unemployment in Europe at the moment so you can imagine. Unemployment is paid out for two years and then you have to revert to the Social Payment which is 426 Euros a month each Family so Paul robs Peter or Paul robs Peter the main thing is to be able to get by each Month and that is it.xxx
• Pamplona, Spain
Hiya yanza, Why we have so much Unemployment here are for two reasons. Main reason is that the Industries here have only been here for the past fifty or sixty years so there never was any real base or experience for main Industries except for the Steel or the Iron Industry. Car Industries come and go as they are based also on taking People on but not giving them permanent Jobs instead they have a Contract made out and they renew the Contract sometimes but not always this means they are taking them on as if they were new sometimes and the Company got or gets paid for that as well. Lots of older Industries like Pottery and such like have taken a hard time due to imports. Construction is perhaps the worst Industry of them all as it was mainly based on over inflated prices of Flats that now cannot be sold there are loads of unfinished Flats all over the Country that are being sold to People outside of Spain for really low prices but the real builders have not been paid at all they also owe money to to others but they cannot pay because they have not got enough money to finish the Flats. Just another example of how Paul is robbing Peter to pay Paul and then Peter and it goes on an on. Lots of People out of desperation have taken on Jobs that pay very low Wages now as they see no other way out at the moment. We have a President who has had to take very hard lines and the end result will pay off but he will not be popular in any way as this should have been done quite a long time back instead of making unrealistic promises about the real state of this Country. We can recover but it will not be easy at all. xxx
@Fishmomma (11467)
I live in Southern California where there are many people that are homeless some living on the streets and others in tents on the beach. Personally, I know how hard it is to pay soaring housing costs, as we are one of the highest in this country. Food keeps going up and I grow some of our food in my garden.
@yanzalong (10174)
Why are there still homeless people in an advanced country like USA? I thought every citizen of the USA was guaranteed to live comfortably with financial support from the government.
@magtibaygom (4864)
What do you mean by "robbing Peter to pay Paul"? Do you mean by raising prices of our commodities, we are robbing someone else? Or, do you mean, people are actually robbing their neighborhoods?
@yanzalong (10174)
Rob Peter to Pay Paul is the idiomatic expression. It's competitive behaviour among people in terms of financial status.
@Sanitary (3969)
Sad to say, it's a yes too. IN fact, it's worse in singapore when inflation is high, but still lower than Hongkong. Food prices, overheads keeps going up, including taxi fares but salaries remains the same for years before there's slight increment that accounts for nothing at all. It's a struggle living in singapore and whatever glamour we see on the outside are results of our struggles to keep up with it. There are not many wealthy people, but many acting to be one.
@yanzalong (10174)
What I heard about Singapore that it was a place for the well-off. Is that right? There are hardly ever poor people living there in Singapore.
I have less than $30 after I pay all my bills. I don't know if I am getting this job next week but I want it.
@yanzalong (10174)
This means that you can see the month out and have the remaining amount for a rainy day. Many have their income turned to zero in the middle of the month.