Why is it that on the phone or calculator the number 5 has a little dot on it?

@hunibani (720)
I've been wondering what is the history behind this dot ! Anyone, do you have an idea??? I would love to know. Crazy thoughts but maybe there is something interesting on it :p hehe
@owlwings (39238)
• Cambridge, England
Some calculators and phones - and also the keypad on a computer keyboard - have a raised bump on the middle key to help people who use the keypad without looking at it (for example, in the dark or if they are a touch-typist). It serves the same purpose as the raised bumps on the F and J key of most computer and typewriter keyboards: it is a tactile point of reference so that touch typists can place their fingers correctly.
@Mashnn (4503)
I have not seen any dot on number 5 on my phone or my calculator. I do not know what type of phone or calculator that you are using with a dot on number 5.
@hunibani (720)
Maybe not all phone and calculator has this dot. But well, since befor ei've noticed this dot, at least here in my country. :P I dont know there or in other country :D
@Mashnn (4503)
I will try to recheck again my calculator. I might be wrong on this one.
@chiyosan (29383)
i think there is no dot, but a marker. this puts the number 5 to the center of the calculator, and though i am not sure, i am thinking that this particular "dot" or marker meant for the calculator, so that it will serve the same purpose, so you know where the middle part of the calculator is.
@hunibani (720)
I thought that too. In case the user of calculator or cellphone is blind they have baseline :D
@yanzalong (10151)
Dot? which dot? I didn't see any dot on it. I think different calculator different lay out, right? I've also loooked at my phone calculator, and I didn't find it either. He he
@hunibani (720)
I think this type of dot only exist for old models of phone and calculator. Hehe. hmm lol
@laydee (12814)
cellphone and keyboard "dash" - Some, if not all, have these little protruding 'dash' as position indicator. In typing class, we were taught that in order to 'feel' if your fingers are on the right position, you just feel these dashes. Similarly, it's the same with calculators and cellphones - except of course the touch screen phones. haha..

It's usually found on number 5 in the calculator or cellphone simply because 5 is the center of all the keys. In the same way, in keyboards, these are usually found on the letter F and J.

Attached is a sample photo of such. I inserted my Nokia Phone and Keyboard showing where those 'dashes' are located.

Have a great MyLot experience ahead!
Some, if not all, have these little protruding 'dash' as position indicator. In typing class, we were taught that in order to 'feel' if your fingers are on the right position, you just feel these dashes. Similarly, it's the same with calculators and cellphones - except of course the touch screen phones. haha.. It's usually found on number 5 in the calculator or cellphone simply because 5 is the center of all the keys. In the same way, in keyboards, these are usually found on the letter F and J. Attached is a sample photo of such. I inserted my Nokia Phone and Keyboard showing where those 'dashes' are located. Have a great MyLot experience ahead!
@safety69 (592)
• Taiwan
Hi, since you said it, I looked in the computer board and yes it has a dot on number 5 , so, i went to see my phone and also has one dot. uhhhh.. I dont know the answer , in fact , I didnt even noticed that before you mentioned it , jajaj . ok I will wait for more answers for you , to see if anybody knows about that. Have a great day my friend.
@phoenix89 (385)
The dot in the key is to indicate that it is the middle of the numerical keypad so that you can easily type without looking at it. The dot in the f and j in the keypad is to help in placing fingers in the starting position for typing without looking at it.