Where are the electric can openers?

I could not believe it when I went out yesterday to Target to find an electric can opener...not a one in sight. Ditto with BJ's. Ditto with Home Goods, and Giant Foods, and Walgreen's, and Ace hardware! Where have all the electric can openers gone? I finally ordered one special from the hardware store! Is there a moratorium? Or an unbelieveable sale? Maybe there's a run on canned goods and can openers? When there are this many stores and no can openers, I gotta believe the world has gone a little bonkers? What do you think?
@stealthy (8189)
I hate electric can openers and use a manual one. Why waste electricity on something that doesn't work as well, is harder to clean and takes up space. My ex-wife always insisted on using an electric one while I would use a manual one and the electric was always making a muss when stuff would come spewing out.
@sid556 (31018)
Aha...you listed the same complaints on them as I did and I hadn't yet read your response! Every once in a little while..the old way was the best way, heh? I remember when those electric can openers first became popular...everyone had them. What a pain in the butt they were.
Ah, but what a blessing when your hands no longer have the strength for the manual ones. My wrists and fingers have never been exceptionally strong and as each year passes, using a manual canopener is akin to never getting the can open! lol Hugs, Maggie
I've never actually gone in search of an electric can opener, so I don't know if most stores generally keep that many in stock. I would guess not--no matter the store or the region, since they are sort of a specialty item. I don't recall ever seeing an abundant supply in any store, not even when I was living in an area where many of the residents were seniors.
When I lived in Sarasota, which sports the oldest population in these United States, they were considered necessities in all the hotels, condos, etc., that supplied vacation necessities. The grocery store always had several in stock, not to mention all the big chain department stores. I think the biggest shock was not finding them in Target. They had about ten shelves of kitchen gadgets (2 big ones for coffee makers), but not one tiny little canopener of any kind. Hugs, Maggie
@speakeasy (4215)
Most stores don't carry a lot of them because people don't need to replace them very often; but, in my area they all carry at least one or two models in the stores. If you want a good selection though, you need to go to the stores website - example my local Walmart has 2 different models on the shelf but the website has 8 different models. For the best selection though go to Amazon or ebay - they have hundreds listed.
Thank you, speakeasy. It was such a shock not finding one in any of these places, I was beginning to worry if they were no longer made! lol Hugs, Maggie
@NailTech (6892)
Oh I thought it was just me who had that problem, as I was looking for one at the store maybe 6 months ago and there were none in sight either. Finally I found a few that were on the very bottom shelf. I had to really look hard for them but they were there, and this was in a grocery store. I would go to the bigger stores but my time was limited, and I did get a pretty good one there. They always seem to break down on me as I use them alot.
That is really really weird! Did you ask a sales associate? Maybe they had one hiding somewhere in a weird, random aisle. Who knows. I have never gone looking for one, but now that I think about it, I wonder where we got ours. . Maybe you'd be better off shopping for it online or going to a thrift store - I know I've seen 'em there. You would think that such an important staple of every day life wouldn't be so hard to come across!