alabama illegal immigrant food stamps

I was reading this article http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/american-kids-denied-food-stamps-alabama-under-immigration-143929070.html and I have mixed feelings on this. Since the adults that are applying for assistance and they are not citizens they should not be able to apply. Though, if they do let them apply they should base it on how many citizens are in the family, not the total of with illegals included. Which of course people are mad about. Clearly they couldn't afford to immigrate properly but we should now feed their family? Hmm.... When my Mom tried for food stamps (when she lived with us) she was denied because we could not gurantee the whole $10/mo they gave her no one but her would eat it. So would this then mean if the kids were approved they could monitor who consumed the food? what's your take? strict enough? too strict? Wish your state would do it too?
hi 3snugglebunnies I live in California where these illegals are really treated pretty good, free food,health casre so on and my son who is working and a citizen here cannot afford the bloated health insurance. They get housing help name it they get it. I feel that Mexico has the responsibility of caring for its own citizens.these illegals will not even try to learn English nor do they really like the US.let them be deported and let the Mexican government help them to good jobs and help them health wise. these are Mexicans citizens who are only here for freebies.they brought vicious teen gangs who do drive by shootings all the time. they turned Santa Ana in a slum city with the results of the highest crime rate in the county . American citizens stay out of Sewage Ana as otherwise they are likely to be shot.Send all illegals with their kids back home where they belong. the Mexican gov. should work to help its own people.So I sound harsh but I have lived with this mess for years now
I ask the same question as you Hatley, Why doesn't Mexico try to provide for their own people? I'd love to hear an out cry from their goverment to have their people return home. We go to Mexico we'd arrested or shot w/o proper documents they come here and get the perks people born here can't even get! And how much income can they possibly claim when odds are they are paid cash?
@bjc66bjc (6745)
Hi SnuggleBunnies, I have mixed feelings for this subject also, mainly because there are children involved...I have to thread this subject lighty, I don't want to be called a racist...so If I step on anyones toes....well...?????? I do know that two wrongs don't make a right.. My biggest complaint is that, there are people I know who has applied for food stamp assistance and could not get them because of some crazy reason or another...and these are people who have been a member of society with holding down a job for years and just fell on hard times.. I just think its truly wrong the way that food stamp system makes their decisions, on who qualify or who don't....
I think it happens everywhere. Here in Georgia...the illegal aliens that immigrated here from Mexico get food stamps and drivers licenses. I don't know how this happens but I think it has something to do with the economy and what would happen to it if all the Mexicans were deported. I mention Mexicans because these people are the majority of the illegals here. In Australia the illegals might be Chinese. The point is, from what I have heard, is that we benefit from the illegals. They spend their money here and pay sales taxes just like we do. If the states did not assist the illegals it would hurt the state's economy. Think about the number if illegals that spend money here. Millions. Take them away by not giving them assistance and the state loses a bigger chunk of money than they spend on them. I hope I said the above clear enough; it made sense to me last summer when it was told to me. From what I gather, Obama supports helping the illegals. More and more cone here and are allowed to stay.
@jillhill (37354)
I understand where they spend a portion of their money here...but they send alot back home too...just stand in line at the post office once....and since so many are being supported by state agencies....does that mean they are spending the money we give them back here in our own states?
@marie2052 (3697)
I agree with Jill stand in a Walmart store that has cash checking and see who is standing in line to cash their check then wire. I have seen it every friday here in Panama City Beach. I don't patronize Walmart anylonger so I don't see it as much.
@marie2052 (3697)
We just went to Mexico the week before Christmas. We are paying higher prices than when I went there in 2006. Check the currency rates. our American dollar has dropped drastically. You are right about one thing. While Americans have always wanted illegal immigrants to go home, very few Americans are willing to do the housekeeping, and all phases of hospitality. Pay is low, so somehow we got the notion we are above minimum wage. My husband has a 24 year old son that does not work. He lives in on his girlfriend he had a baby with and she has two more children. She works! I just can't for the life of me figure out what we did wrong with this generation of young adults. When I started work at age 15 this was in 1967 I got paid 90cents by the Carmelite Nuns. What high school kid today would even work at a nursing home let alone be paid minimum wage? So our immigrants do a justice here regardless how Americans feel. there are help wanted signs all over our town to get ready for Spring Break, and then full tourist season. We have 47% homeless down at the shelter. None of them can work? I have seen mexicans, cubans, puerto ricans down in trenches digging along our city roads while an American Supervisor sat in the shade watching them. I genuinely don't know what is right or wrong anymore. But I do know our hispanic cultures have also been a backbone to the US whether legal or illegal. I have seen it with my eyes right here in Sunny Florida.
I know that I might sound really harsh in saying this, but I don't think that any illegal immigrants should be granted any kinds of social service. The reason that I feel this way is because of the fact that there are far too many families that are citizens of the United States that aren't able to afford proper nutrition for their family right now. In addition to that, it is the taxpayers that are paying for these social services and illegal immigrants neve contribute to the funds that pay for these services.
I agree! There are many people who were born citizens here who could use a hand but do not qualify but yet contributed to these funds when their lives were more prosperous.
@bobmnu (8160)
The problem is the Court ruling about babies born in this country are automatically US Citizens (Anchor Babes). We need to change the law so that these children have the same status as their parents.
I agree that law needs to be changed immediatly! But unless we make enough stink about it to congress they won't do anything of the sort. If we could even get them to budge on it that is.
@coffeebreak (17820)
Plain and simple...if you are not a US citizen...you should not get US commodities. You should be deported and go home and have your own country support you. I hear this all the time....US citizens are always denied food stamps and welfare for one tiny little thing or another yet a criminal can get it immediately. And being her illegally is a crime....so they are criminals. Period, end of story
brief and to the point!
@jillhill (37354)
A friend of mine stopped over last night and said that now we are even.....the same amount of people are on welfare as there are working. I have been a single parent for over 30 years...I raised my kids without any help. Of course I had to work two jobs..and the kids had to help and learn to rely on each other....we made it...and ate good too. I couldn't even get reduced lunches for the kids....there are too many not making an attempt to feed their own families....I understand how they are here looking for a better life....but at what expense? And personally for me it's getting pretty heavy carrying around a bunch of people who really make very little attempt to make it on their own. I am all for people getting help that really need it like the disabled etc.....but when are they going to draw the line and make people responsible for themselves.
my state's the same way.tecnically only the recipiant is supposed to eat the food-and their direct minor children(if any).any adult children are supposed to file seperately for their own if they live in the same house..and then,usually get told 2 can't draw from the same house.. it is too strict.if the combined income from all persons is poverty level,all should be included,i don't care who files. they offered my mom a whole $5 when dad became disabled from cancer. if i hadn't come back home,they probably would have starved.I fed them.