Interior designer

My partner and I have been talking for years about eventually getting into property development. He has finally started training as a plasterer and intends to do more courses and learn more trades. I said I need to learn things too if its to be a family business. I wanted to learn bricklaying or electrics or even plumbing, but he insists I should train as an interior designer. Ok, but I already have the ability to choose colours, themes etc, its not something I need to qualify for - I have an eye for design. I'm wondering if he just thinks this is a more appropriate job for a woman.
Property development,it is a bold resolve.I don't know about you,over here, the real estate development needs abundant funds .I reckon now that you have made your mind,you surely have your strong point. You have a good taste in colours,themes,etc.which are essential to property development.
The idea is to start saving as soon as we can, and when we have enough, buy a fixer-upper to start with. We have our own home and would like to have a project to work on, and sell on, then move on to our next project... eventually we want to make enough so that we can own a couple of rental properties and gain an income from them.
I seem to get it wrong.I thought you do it from scratch rather than buying fixer-upper which will require maintenance work such as redecoration,redesigh,etc.
Building from scratch costs too much and takes too long, it is easier to start with a rundown property and make it worth selling on
Going by previous discussion with hubby details, probably. I agree with Ricki, though: there's a LOT more to interior design than choosing colours. Ergonomics, feng shui, colours, light, materials, energy issues and loads more. If you're interested, why not? But then if you prefer electrics or bricklaying, go for it! Avoid plumbing, though... too many toilets involved in that one, in my opinion.
There's a lot of money in plumbing, if you don't mind showering as soon as you get home lol. I know there's a lot to interior design but I also know I am good at it, my kids rooms look like catalogue pages
People will always need plumbers. Simple fact of life. Just remember to wear gloves. Why not do both if you like both? No point limiting yourself if you're multi-talented. You could become the plunger-wielding wonder of modern lifestyle magazines!
It could very well be that he thinks it is a more appropriate job for a woman to do, though I don't think that there is a job out there that a woman can't do. Honestly, I think that one of the things that would be the most lucrative at this point in time would be to become a professional organizer. It wouldn't be something that would work for me because I don't really have a method that I could explain to anyone for my madness, but it does make sense to me.
He's already told me I will be his book-keeper/secretary/accounts manager... he knows he couldn't run a business without me, lol
@Rick1950 (1565)
• Lima, Peru
I think Interior Design is related to the branch you have chose as activity. If you have an eye for design, then why not starting to develop your ability? You can do the projects and your partner can make them reality. I wouldn't say that Interior Design is more appropriate for a woman, although there could be more women than men who do this job. But you need to be competitive. It were good if you know at least basically the related trades too.
@maximax8 (28247)
Hello Marianne. When I was at further education college I had a friend that was a black female. She was doing a course in engineering and when she applied for jobs they thought she was a man. Her name sounded foreign and it could be a man or a lady. Engineering a male oriented career. A builder is male and so it a plasterer. I watch a program called sixty Minute Makeover and the Interior designers are male or female. Lots of them are female. Your partner is saying as you are a woman you could be an interior designer. Bricklayers, plumbers and electricians are usually men. I know another job and that is clutter clearer than would combine well with interior designer work. Also garden design would be useful. Why not do all three courses: Brick laying, plumbing and electrics. You already know how to do house and garden design plus clutter clearing perhaps. Good luck.
@jillhill (37384)
I love doing interior design....and it's not just for women. Watch HGTV once in a while and some of the best designers are men.....I don't think it would hurt to learn how to do something else...like doing tile work! I think they even give classes at Home Depot once in a while.
That ma be what he is thinking for sure. I hope you decide to take up that training many people make good money doing that. Brick laying will evenetually hurt our back and you don't want that. I know a man who was bent over because of brick laying.