Would you rent a room in your home?

To make ends meet if you had a empty room would you rent it out? I am wondering at this point what I am going to do if I end up with a empty room. I don't know what life has in store for me this year. I would love to rent my room out like I have done so many other times. I was collecting some good rent. It came in handy when times were hard. I don't know if this landlord would allow it. I could move and then go from there also. But,I also think being able to walk around in my house clothes would just be awesome..
If I had the spare room I would love the chance to rent out that room. Right now I have all rooms filled with kids. I know the money would be handy with paying my bills.
That would be a smart thing to do as well.
I don't like renting a room in my home. Since it is not convenient to live with a stranger. Although the renting money can be good, but I don't get used to have one more strange person living at my home. If I have to rent, I prefer to rent out my house rather than only one room. I love China
That would be something good to do as well. I never thought about it that far..
@dodo19 (34317)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
If I had the space, and needed some extra money to pay the bills, and such, I would certainly consider renting the room out, or something. It's something that I would to seriously think about, before actually doing it, as I'm unsure about the situation. But I would give it some thought and consideration.
That sounds good and I would like to wish you would get a great person.
@bjc66bjc (6745)
Hey Gifts, I can't say what I would do in that situtation because one should never say never... But what I would say now, I don't think I would rent a room to any one. I am to private and and always like things a certain way and would not like anyone trying to change me at this age.. See if it was a family that needed a room I would not rent it to them and a total stranger would not be welcome in my home...
That is good and I wish I knew I could rent mine. That would make ends meet real good. I would not want you to rent a room either. You would not have so much time for me. LOL. selfish right on..
I have never wanted to do this. I have always wanted to have my house all to myself. My daughter who is much more social than I ever was, always tried when she was a teenager to get me to have her friend and mother move in. I always felt like there might be trouble up ahead if I did so, so I would always say 'no'. There were two times I did let someone rent the downstairs of my home. One turned out quite well. We were close friends and she was very private. But the other one who was also a close friend but totally opposite my other friend, she broke every rule and ran up bills and just totally disrespected everything my house stood for. I had to have her move out. That was horrible. You have to be very careful in these situations.
I never had any problems till this one night one let all his friends stay in his room to go to the airport the next night..
My grandparents lived very close to our local university campus, and they rented three spare bedrooms in their five bedroom house to students. Before renting the rooms out, they walled off that part of the house, so the students would have their own entrance, bathroom, and would not interrupt my grandparents daily lives. They screened their prospective tenants, so there would be as few problems as possible. They only had one problem with a tenant, but that was quickly solved by the landlord and tenant tribunal. Now that my grandparents are gone, my Uncle and Aunt took over the house. They partitioned it off yet again, turning my grandparents two bedrooms into rented rooms as well with the sudents using the front entrance also, and made themselves quartered off the front hall. It's a Victorian house, so there is a staircase rightinside the front doo. Beyond that is another door with a lock, and beyond that is the dining room, living room, kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, and a sixth bedroom they added for their own use. It has worked out very nicely for them.
That sounds like some good money is being collected. I like that idea very much.
My mom is doing this right now. I'm sure the money is good, but I honestly don't think that I would. Unless it's someone you know and trust and could get along with. But if you're renting out just a bedroom, you have to expect to share the bathroom, the kitchen, the living room, the dining room, etc - with them because they only have a single bedroom to themselves. And then you have to probably share your toiletries, food, etc with them because a lot of people will take advantage of that kind of stuff. And not to mention the increase in water and electricity usage. *shrugs*. I just don't know that it would be worth it.
@bounce58 (17524)
I actually have an extra free room at home. I have three, but the boys chose to sleep in one room together, in their bunk bed. I've also been thinking of renting it out. The extra cash would be nice. But I also know that it would be extra work for me. As I would have t make sure that the room and the washroom adjacent to it is always clean.
If you got a clean perosn to move in trust and believe they would also keep the washroom clean. I had really clean people and never ever even had to wash dishes behind any of them..
@bagarad (13043)
• Paso Robles, California
My brother has always rented out his two upstairs rooms, and his family lives downstairs. It's always worked well for him. My in-laws also rented a room and family room with an outside entrance to various people. They also walled off that part of their house. We had someone living with us long ago for a couple of months when he'd been evicted, but we didn't charge him rent. We later found him a room he could rent with someone else. Had I been her, I never would have rented a room to him, since she was a widow who lived alone and he looked a lot like Charlie Manson (who killed some movie stars with his gang of followers in Los Angeles several decades ago). Even though she didn't really know us, either, she rented to him on our recommendation, and they got along very well. He mowed the lawn and helped her with little things. I really wouldn't like sharing the house with anyone I didn't know fairly well unless it was very temporary. Yet I've also found that a landlord / tenant situation could also break a friendship, since it introduces money into the equation. We currently rent the mobile home across the driveway from us to someone who has become a friend after all these years and we still have to deal with late rents and we many have to give her notice if she doesn't catch up on her rent. It's a sticky situation. I would definitely do a background check before letting someone move into my house.
That lady should come current if she can because she never knows when she moves she may not get treated so good when she is late..
Renting spare room in the house could be an extra income but thinking about it living with a stranger probably not a relative in one house is not comfortable to me. I rather have separate house intended for room renters only.
@asliah (11148)
hi, if that happen to me,i will let it be if the person who will rent the room in my house is i know or friend of mine,now a days its really hard to trust other people,so i will make sure that i really know the person who will rent my room.
@laken02 (3067)
i would not, as my husband and i have our own set routine and he likes to lounge around in his underwear in the mornings and i would hate it if we had another person living here, i hate it when my daughter is her over night, and my mom moved out becasue we could not get along, i know the money would be great but it would not work for us at all..
For me, I would have to say that it would actually depend on the relationship that I had with the person that would be renting out a room in my house. What I mean is that I don't think that I would be able to rent a room in my house to a total stranger, but it would be something that I would be able to do if my roommate was also someone that was my friend. Also, right now that wouldn't be possible for us because of the fact that we do have two small children at home.
I can't do that here. If you are on Section 8 you can't. I would love to make some extra money that way but after the horror stories I have heard on both sides I am not sure I would want to. If you happen to get a good tenant it is great. But you don't it can be hell on Earth! Have you ever seen Pacific Heights with Michael Keaton? What a movie! Here's the link about it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100318/
@megamatt (14326)
Only after an extensive background check about the type of person and a certain set of guidelines that they would have to abide for. Of course, in this day and age, there are a lot of people out there, that I would not even let right into my house, even for a visit. That is just the way that I am right now. Too many people out there that I wouldn't trust to leave for a minute. Granted, if they do pay the rent, it might be a way to add some money, if they were a trustworthy enough person. But it is very much likely that they might be the type of person that I rather get annoyed with. Questions, questions, so many of them to say the very least. It would not be a decision that I would personally take lightly, I'll tell you that much.
@almond24 (1250)
• Hungary
I would only do this if I really needed that extra income to pay the bills, or if I wanted to help out a friend. I used to live in rented rooms, had no problems with it as I always kept the rules... but it always felt weird to live in someone else's home. Most people need some privacy, and not every house's structure allows it. You already have experience in renting a room, and I guess you would only rent it to someone you trust.
If it is possible to rent out a room, that may be something to consider. However, it is unlikely that your landlord would be okay with subletting; what you might have to do would be to put the other person on the lease, and that then opens up entirely new problems. Personally, I wouldn't be able to rent out a room unless I knew the person who would be renting the room very well, but that is just how I am; I dislike having extraneous people in my space, and having a stranger or semi-stranger within my space would certainly qualify.
@loonys (418)
I use to live in a rented room but its not nice at all . you have to share bathroom and kitchen. My answer its that I do not like to rent a room.
@Porcospino (19959)
• Denmark
My husband and I don't have any extra rooms in our house, but we have talked about buying the other part of the house one day. We live in a house that has been divided in two parts, and another family owns the second part of the house. If we manage to save up the money to buy the other part of the house we would live in our part of the house and rent out the other part of the house, but right now that is just a dream, because we don't have the money to buy the other part of the house. In our own part of the house there are no empty rooms, so I don't think that we would be able to rent out a room the ways things look at moment.
@sjvg1976 (18388)
Hello Gifts, I never rented room in my house and never like to do it as i think we do loose privacy in that case.I have seen people renting room in the house to get some extra money and its not a bad idea to do it but i never like it.