explain Pinterest

I know this is one of the latest crazes on the net. But being a newbie to it I'm trying to figure out how to navigate it. Is there a way to navigate the array of topics spewn on every inch of the screen? Is there a main page of some sort? Any sort of order to that site? I've seen people say they found this or that idea on there so I wanted to try it out but I think it's going to take a bit for me to get into this one or shall I say figure out how to navigate it. Any tips on how to use this site? And can you post your own original ideas to it?
@jillhill (37354)
You can post your own things..create a board then search for that category....like say antiques.....you just do a search and things come up that are antiques....shops etc then you can follow them...check out what else they have...and people can repost your posts too.
In all honesty, I have no clue what's going on there. I was invited by a friend to use it so I thought what the heck, sure why not. I made a few boards and pinned a few things to them and have a dozen people subscribed to me and just as many I've subscribed to (because - I think - it automatically subscribes you to all of your Facebook friends when you first sign up) but I don't get any kind of notifications when someone pins something new or makes a new board so I'm really not sure what's going on.
I've only gotten notifications of when someone new is following me nothing else. But I think somewhere on the main pages it shows who's repined your pin ect. Why I don't know, it's not like you get any perk to follow or have someone follow you.
@Shellyann36 (8619)
I was also introduced to the site and it looks so neat. They had several things that I am interested on there but in order to look at them you have to be a member. I would just love to look at the site and get the recipes and things that I noticed on there. Anyone want to share an invite. I am clueless as to what it will do for you if you share? Perhaps it sends traffic back to your blog?