Getting those bags of mixed greens or a head of lettuce..

I like those bags of mixed greens in my salad. I buy them for about 3 bucks a bag. this bag has 15 calories per serving and one gram of protein. I need the different leaves and the one protein in my diet. I was talking with my friend about the cost ad it is a big savings if i buy the head of lettuce. But,I don't want to eat that three times a day without getting anything from it. So,what would you be buying if you were me.. Next shopping trip I am going to see if they sell romaine lettuce in the bunches. I don't know about that yet,because that would also save me some cash. Over all i would rather the bags..
So the only lettuce i like is the ice berg lettuce so i wouldnt want to buy the bag and pick through it to only get out the lettuce that i do like. I am kind of picky with salad stuff but i do like alot of salad stuff at salad bars and what not around town. I eat alot of other things on my salads so i probably get the things i need like the protein i might get from the deviled eggs on my salad that i like. Thank you by the way for starting a discussion that i could respond to.
our very welcome. I am doing my best.. Take care. Oh I never heard of deviled eggs with salad. I love to make them. Matter of fact I should make some tonight..
Sorry that my response went twice.Not my fault the internet connection wasnt working that great at that moment. But you could make your deviled eggs tonight and you can have a salad tommorrow with one of them in it and you will see a different taste and how good it actually tastes too LOL. They had it at this BBQ place i ate and ever since i wa slike wow that is really good. The little things in life that make us go WOW
@mommyboo (13198)
Mmmmm... I like to top salads with chopped tomato, chopped hard boiled egg, avocado, sometimes other things like chopped red, orange, or green pepper, onion, shredded cheese, some turkey or roast beef, etc, sliced cucumber - there's no shortage the variety of things you can add to a salad.
The bags are cheaper, and it is a way for you to get a variety of greens, but if you can get the romaine in bunches and one other dark green leafy salad green you could put them together for a tasty mix. One gram of protein is not really much. You could sprinkle nuts or sunflower seeds on your salad for more protein than that. You can buy heads of leaf lettuce like butter crunch or red leaf or curly leaf green as well.
I meant the head lettuce is cheaper. Romaine has more nutrition than iceberg, but kale and spinach have even more. I think variety in the greens and then add lots of good stuff like broccoli and peppers and onions, etc. The more color the better.
I never knew they had so many kinds of greens.. Thanks.
@mommyboo (13198)
I like the bags - I get them at the 99 cent store so they are literally 99 cents. At the regular grocery store they cost more, sometimes more than buying a bunch of romaine but I guess it depends whether you want to sacrifice a bit more money so you have a precut variety in an easy bag or whether you'd rather save the money and sacrifice variety. After all, if you want the variety, you'll have to pay more to purchase more than one type of lettuce and then wash and cut it all up for your salads. Six of one, half dozen of the other I'd say.
The head of lettuce is a lot better, financially-wise. They are like 60 cents or less usually per head of lettuce here. But I also like those salad mixes that have the different kinds of lettuce in them (romaine, and even spinach sometimes), but usually they are a lot more expensive.
@laken02 (3067)
my husband wont let me buy lettace in bags, he gets mad at me if i do, we usualy buy it buy the head and it last longer and does a better job, we have not had a salad in a very long time seems that when we get it we dont use it before it ruins and then have to throw it away,, so we dont buy it very often.. i do like salads though they are very tasty.. esically with croutons and lots of cheese and tomatoes yum..
@Anne18 (11036)
Well done on eating the salads. I tend to buy a head of lettuce as it is a lot cheaper and one head of lettuce does me a long time as I also have celery etc. I do buy the bags of mixed leaves as a treat if we have guests coming or they are on speical offer in the supermarket. I don't have much money to spend on food so I try and get the best for less. I have £50 English money each week to buy everything the family needs (we are five living in our house, but six in our family). I plan my shoping well and go onto the pc and check the prices at Tesco's so I know how much i'm going ot speend
I'm a big salad fan, I also keep a few animals that require a mix of lettuce leaves, romaine is the main one, and they also love Rocket, as do I. What would save you even more money and give you the variety that you want is to get a few window boxes and grow your lettuce in them. It's what I have started doing and it works out very well for me. Depending on whether or not you have a back garden, you could even dig out a small plot there and grow yourself some lettuce there. Gardening is not for everyone, I don't have very green fingers myself, but lettuce is very easy to grow and if you grow it indoors you can have it all year.
@sedel1027 (17855)
Personally I prefer the bag salad because they offer options that are either hard to find or would not be cost effective to buy separately. You should be able to find 3 hearts of domain in a bag for roughly $3. By the time you buy all the star to make it healthier you may as well buy the bagged.
@demibug (72)
I think it depends on what you WANT to eat at the moment. You can try new variety for now and then another next time. But if it is cost-cutting that you want, then better plant your favorite veggies in your garden. That way, you get to spend less and eat more of your favorite greens.
When I bought it Thursday, the lettuce heads were $1.49, and the bag was $1.00, so I got the bag, because I usually don't use the whole head and it ruins in the refrigerator. Well, dummy me, I accidentally put the bag in the freezer after I used it once and had to toss it, so the next day when I went to buy it, the heads were still $1.49, but the bags were almost $3.00 (different town, different store), so I got the head and pinched it all up at once and put it in a tupperware bowl, but if you are getting more from the bag, that sounds like the way to go.
Hi and a happy day to all! I think you just want to spend your money in a good way that you are not compromising your health. Eating salads are good. I also buy bags but it also gets expensive. When lettuce is in season i will buy it instead. I get carrots, capsicums and more salad vegetables. There is nothing wrong with being a wise shopper. Buy head of a lettuce when its on season so it will have special price. Buy bags when lettuce's price go up. Its also good to be creative in making salad so it wont be boring. Enjoy your day!
I would buy the mixed romaine and spinach... they sell it all mixed up in the bag. You can also just buy the romain and bok choy and other types of lettuce and spinach leaves separately if you want to have for several meals. I would buy some of those green bags to help save stuff from spoiling.
They sell those at the farmer's market, and we live right next to the market, so we are able to get them all the time. They are great. It's nice to have a bit of variety.