Horrible eBay buyer

I sold a mug on ebay and wrapped it well. I'm not a newbie seller, I know how to package things well after 5 years of selling. I wrapped it in 3 big bubble envelopes so it had 9 layers of bubble wrap in all. The buyer told me it arrived smashed to pieces. I know this couldn't have happened. I asked for photos which she said she sent but I didn't get any email from her. I told her to return it for a full refund and I would also refund her return costs. She refused and demanded half the money back without returning. This is against ebay policy so I said no and explained why. She threatened negative feedback if I didn't. Then gave me negative feedback because I still said no. eBay removed it as it was a policy violation. She then opened a case against me and expected to still get the return costs as well as a full refund! I said I won't reward her for being nasty and manipulative and didn't refund the return costs. Just as well - although she gave a tracking number, the parcel never came.
I also sell on Ebay and I'm not a newbie seller too. I think you did exactly what I would have done, asked for it back. I get the feeling just from reading this that she was of course, trying to scam you out of money. It sounds as if she broke it after all of this happened, so she could return it to you in pieces. So in the end, did you refund her money? Did you ever receive the mug? Hope this all turned out well for you, it takes all kinds of weirdos to make the world go around I guess. I've only had about 5 problems on Ebay over the last 10 years, so I really can't complain. The problems were mostly from people bidding, winning, then not paying....which aggravates the heck out of me.
I refunded her what she paid me - about £4.50 including p&p. But she paid £3.38 to return it, which I refused to give her, so I'm satisfied. I know its childish but nasty people deserve to be out of pocket.
Hi marianne and Thank You so much for BR! I never received a message that you responded to this, otherwise, I would have responded back. I did read that you did indeed get your mug back all broken, and I'm glad to hear you did not pay her for return shipping. No, it's not childish or nasty of you not to pay for her shipping back, and I still think she broke it and said it came broken. You sound like you pack as good as I do so I totally believe you. I remember once sending two boxes full of dishes and cups from Ohio to California from a buyer on Ebay. He was so scared and kept telling me how to pack it, haha, because of course how heavy they were. I laughed and told him not to worry so much, it will all be good. He did receive both boxes with not one broken item. Needless to say, he was quite happy. There was also a guy on Ebay (another seller too) that bought two "lots" of vintage postcards from me and after one month he told me he never received them. He was NOT a very nice man and was extremely sarcastic. I of course automatically refunded him his money as I had no tracking on it but it all sounded very fishy to me. I found him on Ebay and just kept watching his site and what he was selling. Sure enough, my postcards were put up for auction about 2-3 weeks later. I contacted him and this time, I was the sarcastic one, but very subtle about it. He of course blamed it on his girlfriend, blah blah, and ended up sending me my money back PLUS an extra $10.00 for the trouble. It's a much longer story but I kept it as short as I could. This guy was a real nut case! You take care now and happy Ebaying! Kudos to you!
I have been selling on ebay for about 4 years, with 100% positive feedback, and I just received PowerSeller status. Most of my customers are great. However, in the last few months I have had two horrible customers. The first one bought a $12 item, with free shipping. I shipped the item the next day and gave the customer his USPS tracking number, and left him positive feedback for paying me quickly. Well, about a week later he sends me this nasty message about how he still has not recieved his item, this is his first experience with ebay, is this normal to wait 12 days to get his item, blah blah blah. First, it had been 6 days, not 12. Second, apparently he never checked his tracking status because then he would have seen that USPS tried to deliver to him 3 times but apparently his address is incorrect! I sent him a message that it isn't my fault he didn't put his correct address in paypal and I refunded him as soon as USPS sent my package back to me. I was not happy because I paid for the shipping cost and I requested that ebay withdraw my positive feedback. The 2nd one was a real winner. She won a $100 gift card from me, and was all over me about shipping it out right away and also asked me to email her the gift card codes, which I did. She left me positive feedback about how happy she was with the transaction. So 3 weeks later I get a message from Paypal that the customer had filed a dispute with her credit card company, saying she did not authorize the charge to her card. I disputed her claim and sent all evidence including her positive feedback and messages to Paypal. In the end paypal said they agreed with me, but the credit card company agreed with the customer and refunded her money. BUT, I checked the gift card, ( I always keep a record of the numbers just in case) and it hadn't been used, so the minute I got that message that they found for the custoemr and refunded her money, I used up every last penny on that gift card. Sure enough, a few days later I got a nasty message from teh customer saying there was no money on the gift card! I sent her a polite note reminding her that she had filed a dispute over the charge, and that there was no way she was going to get anything for free from me. She tried to scam me, and it didn't work. She then threatened negative feedback- I said go ahead and try ebay won't let you leave negative feedback on a closed case! She became so vile at that point I had to report her and block her- what a nutcase! Anyway there are some real loons out there, but for every one of them there are about 10 great customers and that's why I keep doing it :)
For a while I sent everything recorded delivery, as there seemed to be a lot of INR claims at the height of the recession. But the last 2 months I have been sending standard post and have not yet had a dishonest buyer, thank God. If a sale goes over a certain value I still send recorded at my own cost
• Slovenia
Hello there! I'm very soory to hear this happened to you, this happened to me too a week or so ago and I'm wondering now if this may be the same person we are dealing with? just read my discussion here where I asked mylotters for help http://www.mylot.com/w/discussions/2635892.aspx?p=1#2_23241420 and could you say what happened by now, did you win this dicpute or what did you do? cause also my buyer behaves same way as yours, he's excusing on not being home and that he'll send proof pics of damaged good when he's home, but what he really waits for I think is that ebay decides for themselves as its only about a week left until its 20 days (timeframe for buyer and seller to come to agreement). Problem is too, his ebay reputation is 76 while mine is only 4 (i dont sell a lot) and they dont know he waits for people to give him good feedback and then after few days he claims disputes as he did with me, so I really hope we both can resolve this and not lose money to scammers like those! :(
Don't worry - the only way he will get his money back from paypal without your consent, is if he proves he has returned the item with a tracking number. I never leave feedback til a buyer leaves positive for me.
I had a buyer a couple of weeks ago who was an absolute nightmare for me. He challenged me every step of the way when it came to paying for his purchase. He didn't want to pay the taxes I was charging, didn't want to pay the handling charges either. So I tried to compromise and not charge tax but charge the handling fee. He refused to pay that too. So I gave in to his demands. But since he didn't want to pay handling, I put his purchase in a plain box and wrapped it in plain paper. Then I sat on it. I refused to ship quickly. The sale page said I had a certain number of days to get the item out, and I waited that long deliberately. He complained about that. He then opened a dispute forcing me to finally send the item to him. He left negative feedback, well, neutral was all he could do, and I responded to it by saying that he was a nightmare to work with. I requested a change in feedback which he refused to respond to, so that never changed. I was lucky though that my rating didn't make my next buyer rethink their purchase, so that was a good thing. Some people are so hard to deal with.
I actually received the mug back today! Smashed as she said, but looking at the box, there isn't a mark on it. The only possible way it has got broken is by being dropped after it was removed from the packaging. And she did tell me before I sent it that it was for a child's birthday, so I expect the child dropped it
@Runite (307)
What a sick woman. Trying to scam small business sellers. . Didn't even give proof so why even bother?
Sounds like a right scumbag, almost certainly trying to scam you. Hopefully she's now on your blocked bidders list? I've been doing a little bit of selling, just for the last few months and just in a small way, and I've only had one buyer who's given me problems. Fortunately the vast majority of people are honest. Unfortunately it only takes one nasty piece of work to spoil your day.
@ajalitus (127)
I think you did the right thing. People always try to take advantage any system. If she had threatened to give me negative feedback (if I was a seller), I would just laugh. What is 1 person out of hundreds of people gonna do to my rating? She probably was just pissed that her child broke it and blamed it on your product. Good thing it got resolved in without too much trouble....it must have been annoying, but it could have been worse.
@cyclopz (197)
I think you should be cautious of such people. I'm not quite sure if it would help that you could at least have someone or even just a staff from the freight company to witness that the goods being delivered were in good condition before it want sealed in th package just for exrta precaution. I know because there are already lots of scam sellers ang buyers around the net and we should be careful of such people who could not even make an honest living but rather prefer to take advantage of other people. Well if you would think of it the someone would go to that extent just for a mug, i think the mug isn't even that expensive for all those troubles. She could not even provide a picture of that mug that was broken or even just any proof. I say it would be better if you don't waste your time on such person because it is not worth all the trouble.
@yanzalong (5851)
I doubt the buyers, especially whom we don't know, will be fair and honest. I once sold my secondhand phone to a friend lived in another city. Since the buyer was someone I knew, so nothing bad cropped up. He recieved it as it was wrapped up.
@mcart82 (87)
Yes, ebay has become a harsh place to do business. Specially now with not allowing sellers to leave negative feedback just gives a chance for bad buyers to get away with anything. Don't worry about the feedback that much, I have bought several times from people who have less than 100%.
@laura1991 (178)
some people need to learn some decency and respect for other people. she obviously hasnt got anything better to do than trying to scam you just to get a free mug. its pathetic!you should feel sorry for her!
I used to sell on ebay, but I had one customer who sent me a fake money order (this was before the only payment they accepted was paypal). There are some crazy people out there who try to take advantage of others. I do not blame you if asking for pictures and for the item to be sent back before sending her a refund. Since you wrapped it well I think the other person was trying to take advantage of you and just wanted the item for free.
@bostonphil (4333)
This is one of the reasons that I am afraid to sell on ebay. There are a lot of mean people in the world as well as scammers. They are on ebay just like they are anywhere else. I am always afraid that i will sell something on ebay and get a buyer like you had. I have bought on ebay. I have bought jewelry many times. Sometimes I have had very good results. I have gotten some really wonderful pieces at a good price. But I have also gotten what I consider to be junk from other buyers. I did complain but it did no good. But then I realized that one person's junk is another person's treasure. The buyer may have thought that the jewelry was a treasure. i thought that it was cheap junk. All the buyers that I bought from had very high ratings. I did communicate with them before purchasing. I saw pictures in most cases.
@stary1 (6622)
marianne87...Wow..thanks for sharing..I am just starting to set up selling on e-bay so it's good to know things like this. I am sorry for your encounter with this buyer..I guess it takes all kinds..