What would you do?

United States
February 22, 2012 1:19pm CST
Dear Fellow Mylotters, I find myself at a crossroads. I am trying to change jobs and had an interview a couple weeks ago with a large betting company. They will have a job opening for me in the middle of March or April the latest. Out of the blue a temp agency called me about an artistic job opening that I had applied to quite a few months ago. I like everything about the job except the fact that it's a temp job and after 3 months the company will either hire me or decide that there's not enough work to keep me. They have already admitted that they are slower in the summer time. My boyfriend's job is also in jeopardy this summer because of a contract not being renewed yet. I want the stable job because it's safe, close to where I live and I can support my boyfriend is need be. But I feel that if I don't take the artistic job that I'll be working in customer service forever. What would you do?
2 people like this
9 responses
@Genericbe (1378)
• Philippines
23 Feb 12
Many people now are still looking for a stable job. Almost other companies needing for employment requires only seasonal contracts. It is true that most cases, the kind of their work are contradicted in their true wants in work related activities but the main reason why they are still considering such work is for "Practicality purposes, a survival to sustain their major needs" . I guess, you go on which ever comes first. IF the betting company do give you an assurance that you will be hired. Then go for that company even not of your passion to have that security you wanted. But, if the betting company does not give you an assurance to be hired? then go for the seasonal job so that you have a fallback temporarily. Even stable companies has not that 100% assurance in all employees where some are forced to resign depending on their capability to finance their employees. Both of them will give you different working experiences that you gonna used for referral working experiences. However, at this time, try your luck and once an opportunity was granted, do your best well so that even that company either stable or seasonal, will have no doubts retaining you in their company.. We do not know what is God's plan for us,but, just have faith in him, he will not let you empty handed.. Just, make choices that goes with your immediate priorities. this is just part of the test.. God will give you signs through other people.. so do not worry much..
1 person likes this
• United States
23 Feb 12
The betting company has basically offered me the job verbally. They can't offer me a full time position until March-ish, so I think I'll go with that. Thank you for your advice.
• Mexico
23 Feb 12
Hi dance 4 life: Never say never. you have to conciliate both needs. Your need for stability and this amazing opportunity to do what you want. In my case I would take the more stable job because that's what I need right now but I would use this stability to keep in contact with that other company and look for better opportunities for my skills and to follow my dreams. ALVARO
1 person likes this
• United States
23 Feb 12
You're right it does seem a bit more dramatic when you put it like that. I can keep looking while I have a stable job. Thank you for the reality check.
@Mashnn (4503)
23 Feb 12
I think before you decide to take this job, you should think more on stability rather than the gains. What happens after 3 months if you will not continue with the job? Do you think you will have earned enough money for atleast to take you for the rest of the year. Take your time and decide well on what you want to do. I would suggest you to stick to the older job which seem to be more secure.
1 person likes this
• United States
23 Feb 12
Yes, you're right. I'm not financially ready to put myself in this situation. It seems pretty irresponsible if I take that large leap of faith.
@picjim (3003)
• India
23 Feb 12
I'd take the job with the betting company as it is more stable.If you both are without a job it will be strain on your financial resources.If your boyfriend gets a steady job then you can opt for the artistic job.I'd opt for the steady job and try for a switch over to the artistic job once the situation improves with the boyfriend.
1 person likes this
• United States
23 Feb 12
Not to mention a strain on our relationship. Thanks for your insight.
@maezee (31510)
• United States
23 Feb 12
Oh my gosh, this sounds like such a dilemma! Follow your heart (which is in art) or go the 'safe' route (which is in customer service)? Going the first route, with the artistic job, would be a really big risk. You might succeed hugely and love your job, or you might end up jobless in 3 months. On the other hand, you might have a stable job with the customer service company, but what difference does it make if you don't enjoy it? Here's another thing to think about --- how does the pay of these two jobs compare? Which pays you more? (Sorry, but money is always a deciding factor in jobs I apply for and ones I don't, it just IS). And what is this 'betting company'? Is the job that they are offering you a really good, high-paying position, that doesn't come by often? Or is it just a run-of-the-mill call center type job that you could find again in a heartbeat? I would honestly say, after thinking about it, go with the artistic job. If it's something you enjoy... You should go for it. If it's something that you could create a career out of possibly, it sounds a heck of a lot more exciting than working in customer service (I work in customer service.... There's not a whole lot going on but angry customers ), and if the company decides to let you go, you could always use the customer service experience you have as a 'back-up' plan. Customer service associates seem like they are always needed; there are always customers to attend to. I guess what I'm saying is I would follow your heart for the 3 months and see where it leads you. If you find yourself unemployed again after the 3 months, you could always fall back on another customer service position somewhere else. I think it might just be worth the risk in taking the artistic job.
1 person likes this
• United States
23 Feb 12
I thought about the money situation. I'm actually currently waiting on a reply about that. For the temp period it's actually lower than what I would like. At the betting company I'll start off making more. My brother-in-law actually got me the interview. I feel like I should take it partly because of that. My heart is dying to take the lead here, thanks for your input.
• United States
22 Feb 12
Perhaps I shouldn't comment about your boyfriend since I don't know him, but I think you should think long and hard about supporting him even for a short amount of time. Once a person gets use to being supported, they come to expect it. As far as your choices, if you don't like your job, it becomes such a drudge and you end up hating it which could lead to shoddy work and then you get fired.
1 person likes this
• United States
22 Feb 12
It's not really supporting him, it's the fact that he helped me when I changed jobs a year ago. He will still have his Winter job, it's just that until his boss figures out whether he is going to renew the contract for the Summer months. I agree with you about liking your job. It's almost everything I've been looking for with the exception of the lack of stability.
• United States
22 Feb 12
I would take the betting company job it seems more safe and that you will have a job for alonger time then the artistic company. Now im saying this based on what you have stated. I think you might like the artistic job better and it might be more fun for you and you can meet people but now the other job seems to be a more resonable job and im saying it because its not going to cut you off in three months and it might be able to offer you more as well. Hope you decide the right thing and enjoy your work.
1 person likes this
• United States
22 Feb 12
Thanks for your advice, I completely agree with you. I need something more stable than 3 months.
@cruride (66)
• United States
23 Feb 12
I would have to say that it is best to take what is more secure in these days and make it a goal to continue to look for something that is similar to the artisitic job. This will give you the opportnity to work and still gain an income while still learning mroe skills. I think that if you make it a goal to find something you really like it will come to you in a more stable way.
@sjvg1976 (18039)
• Delhi, India
23 Feb 12
Hello dance4life, I think the time when there is lot of uncertainities in the market one must try to have a permanent job.Sometimes we have to compromise with the things to attain stability.If i were in your position i would for a stable job to make my life stable.