Who do you think was Jack the Ripper ?

@bunnybon7 (35848)
Holiday, Florida
Being a true crime info addict, Ive been interested in this for years. Ive read almost everything I could get a hold of about Jack the Ripper. I watch Nancy Grace a lot. etc. Last night realising Id went through all my books on audio, I dug out my cd of Patricia Cornwells, Jack the Ripper Case closed. I was wondering just how many people believe that Walter Sickert was the Ripper. I did some research, (not the first time) on Sickert and I really believe what she has said. Who do you think it was? here is a link. NOT A REFERRAL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Sickert
I do the same. I have a book shelf full of True Crime books. Nancy is great! Have you read the book called Mindhunter by John Douglas? He is the original guy who started profiling. Great book! My greatest interest on this subject is serial killers. What makes them the way they are. Some things stand true on all serial killers but I delve deeper and wonder about it alot. I don't believe a person as accomplished as Sickert could have done this. An accomplice to the Ripper? No. He was an artist and did no physical labor that would give him the physique needed to kill like these woman were and so quickly. He was skinny. I tend to agree with the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography that feels that any claim that Sickert was the Ripper was pure fantasy. Patricia Cornwell felt that she had DNA and could prove Sickert did it. And she felt his reason for the killings was due to his deformity. That doesn't wash either because if so why didn't he continue killing? I think if a man is demented enough to do this horrible acts he would have to show some weird behavior to family or friends. It doesn't sound like he did. And there was a lot of sensationalism made about the Camden Town Murders and it was pretty smart of him to do a painting about it. Not so arrogant if he was the murderer. I think it may have been La Bruckman. He had the physique and it would have to have been someone strong enough to restrain quickly and do his work. They found one of the bodies just a very few minutes after a person had seen her and then the cops found her nearby and she was still warm. The killer would have to be able to do his work quickly. I think the Black Dahlia Murder case is fascinating too.
@bunnybon7 (35848)
• Holiday, Florida
You do have a very good point there. id never thought of that. YES! its funny i do have that book and have read it. Mindhunter . it was so interesting about his coming into the crime scene investigations, but i do think if you are close behind a woman and do it quickly, slicing the throat, she wouldnt have much fight in her especially drunk like these women were. yes, i also have some books on the Black Dalia. in fact i also have a whole collection of 28 volumes of Crime and punishment encyclopedias. my daughter also comes in my room when she gets time to watch Bones and Criminal minds with me. they have a lot of interesting things on those tv shows. bet you watch those to.
But he didn't just slit their necks. He usually did some carving too. I like Criminal Minds. I watch the Mentalist too. He is such a character. John Douglas went into the prisons and interviewed the serial killers. He was also the character that they used in the Lambs movie with Jodie Foster. Her boss. can't think of the name of the movie. I have a book about the supposed guy who killed the black dahlia written by his daughter. Ugh!
@bunnybon7 (35848)
• Holiday, Florida
yummy. i love the mentalist. the guy that plays Patrick is a charming sexy guy. its Silence of the Lambs you are talking about and ive watched all those sequenced movies. plus believe it or not, i love Anthony Hopkins. i think hes a brilliant actor and watch everything he plays in. you really should read the patricia cornwell book. it tells all the reasons why he could have done it. plus, how he could. its ok i know most people have different opinions on this anyway.
the sickert theory is definetly food for thought.. i do wonder if it really weren't the prince tho. it would explain why the records are still sealed after 120 or so years..
@bunnybon7 (35848)
• Holiday, Florida
im wondering why the prince would attack in the street instead of takeing them to some place in private? surely he had places like that or could have. then just dunp the body.
might have been the "thrill of possibly being caught" some killers have. either that,or he thought he was fully above the law..which he would have been to an extent.
@JenInTN (27565)
Now that there has been so many leaps and bounds among the DNA and genetic fields..it certainly wouldn't be hard to find out for sure if any of that DNA remained anywhere. Of course...that's the problem. I thought it was interesting that she claimed the DNA of the Ripper and Sickert could be matched on a letter. His infatuation with The Ripper and his crimes certainly would lead someone to believe there might be a connection between them with all that we have learned about behavior now. I can't begin to say who the Ripper might have been but this Sickert guy sure would be where I started.
@bunnybon7 (35848)
• Holiday, Florida
she is certainly convinceing. since she did have some forensic evedince, im thinking it was him. or at least he was in on it. from things we learned today, it could be a couple of guys together or even a guy with a gal. ive wondered about that myself. i mean look how many times they have looked for one person and its been 2. making it harder even for our detectives these days.
@JenInTN (27565)
Thanks for the best response. He sure was a slippery character whoever he is!
My thought is that Walter Sickert was the actual Ripper, but I really don't think that he committed all of the crimes that he was accused of. I tend to think that there were copycats as well that committed some of the crimes. This does tend to be something that happens when there are serial murderers and such in a part of the world because of the fact that there are other sick people out there that think that they can get away with crimes by copying the crimes of others.
@bunnybon7 (35848)
• Holiday, Florida
thats true. there was actually 2 serial killers working in the sea tac area around the green river when Rigeway was doing it. i forget who the other one was but they eventually caught him to.
I would start saying that in my opinion it was a woman!
@bunnybon7 (35848)
• Holiday, Florida
it could have been or even a woman in on it. like some serial killers today have had women helping lure victims.
@dragon54u (31605)
I have always subscribed to the theory that it was Queen Victoria's grandson, Prince Albert. Since he committed so many murders and got away with them he would have to have a good network of escape, money for getaway carriages, etc., and a place to go that no one would suspect. Plus support, passive or active, for his activities. And royal families do tend to have deviants due to their lavish and indulgent lifestyles that sometimes in those days encouraged depravity and protected them from bad consequences.
@bunnybon7 (35848)
• Holiday, Florida
until her book came out he was also one of my 2 choices. but if you read the book, or as in my case, listen to it, you will find out how well he could have been the one. its funny even expert "ripper" groups have different opinions on who it could be
@jazel_juan (15767)
You also read Patricia Cornwell? I read one of her books and from what you have mentioned the story about Jack the Ripper is quite interesting ..i might go look for it
@bunnybon7 (35848)
• Holiday, Florida
its a good case/story she has there. id send it but you are in the phillipines, right? yes, ive read her for years. but the past 3 books shes written have went i think and people are saying shes not as good any more. so dont bother with the latest ones. all her earlier work up to 2009 has been great guess she ran out of good ideas.
@dodo19 (32543)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I have to say that I've been interested in Jack the Ripper, although I don't think that it's to the same extent as you. As much as a lot of people would like to know who Jack the Ripper was, I don't think that we'll ever really know for sure. It'll remain one of those unsolved mysteries.
@bunnybon7 (35848)
• Holiday, Florida
i suppose so. although Cornwall has even used forensic technology she claims to pin point it down to Sickert. she does have a pretty good case.
@nanajanet (4436)
This is one of the mysteries of history that has peaked my curiosity. It's probably the greatest, unsolved mystery of all time!! I do not believe that anyone really knows, and I guess we will all have to wait for our time to pass over to ask the big guy, or gal, in the sky.
@bunnybon7 (35848)
• Holiday, Florida
yes it seems ripper specialists even argue about it. did you know there are groups that investigate this and gather for opinions?