Professional Beggars

@yanzalong (10174)
Indonesia
As we know beggars are every where in the world. Last night I read news about professional beggars earned 200 Pounds a night! It seems to me that begging has become a profession that generates a lot of money. I suspect that most beggars work for an organisation no one knows who is behind it. Have you ever read similar news on this that you can share?
@jjzone44 (917)
I have heard of this before, and it seems prevalent in high tourist areas. With all of the different people traffic daily, they don't get noticed as much. They just have to move from place to place to avoid attracting the attention of law enforcement. I don't have any direct knowledge of them being organized or being part of an organized crime group, but I would not doubt it for a moment. If it makes money, organized crime is not far behind!
@yanzalong (10174)
Thank jjzone44. Your analytical review is accurate. That's what I've thought of as well. I mentioned this in my other discussions, even I uploaded a photo of a beggar. It is probably because beggars do not commit any crime that police will not raid on them. Don't you think?
@jjzone44 (917)
Most of the crimes they are accused of relate to their conditions and actions. You hear of them getting moved around because of aggressive panhandling, or they are some place where they are not allowed. They can't be on private property without permission, and they can be accused of loitering in certain public places. I have even seen where if they are standing in certain places they are fine, but as soon as they sit down the police can move them or arrest them. True beggars (those that really need to be there) often times don't mind jail so much. They go through the processing, get a roof over their head and a good meal, which during inclement weather is better than being on the cold streets.
@choybel (5059)
I have heard of this before and even heard of how rich some of them have become. It's a tax-free job so I can see how some people came up with this. It couldn't work in our city though because our city is small and our cops are not really friendly about this, plus there are city ordinances on this. I also hear that there is an organized syndicate that handles this matters, so it wouldn't be safe too.
@yanzalong (10174)
If it is a clearly known syndicate, why isn't government taking any action against them? It seems that the law hands do not reach them. And we never know the real persons behind this.
@choybel (5059)
There's no direct evidence against them and many people believe that this syndicate are of influence, so it would really be hard to pinned them down. The government seem to have better things to do than to worry about this stuff.
@surfer222 (1715)
Yes, i've read something like this many times in the past. I hate it when people use other people kindness to make money. I stop giving money to beggars, but sometimes i offer them some bread. If those beggars wasn't really poor they will reject the bread and mocking you at the same time.
@yanzalong (10174)
The problem is that we can not identify which is the real beggars who need help. But in my opinion if beggars look healthy and strong, I don't think we need to help them. They can find other jobs.
@Sanitary (3969)
Yes, it's really common in thailand as well. Those beggars are usually controlled by a syndicate. I've seen the same woman with different babies every month when i'm there. Her babies would never grow and i believe some babies are being smuggled for such purpose. It's a sad sight and i've seen youngs boys and girls, going around begging for money. When i offered them food, they are tempted to eat it but they would refuse and ask for money instead. WHen that happens, i would give them food and continue with my meal, ignoring them.
@rajeev075 (1936)
I think there are many ways by which one beg either directly by showing thier illnes or accidented cutted foot legs hands etc. There are many who just play misuc and collect money. Few are there who have everything right but they wear a old cloth and start asking money from the pwople. I hate these guys. If possible all must owrk and earn and do not beg. You are right there are many professinla beggar who earn more than from they get those money. It quite strange fact.
The Local news here in Indiana did a story about this where one of the news casters dressed poorly and went out on a street corner with a sign that said he need food or will work for food. I guess alot of people stopped buy and gave him money and a couple of people even gave him some food. I guess he made like 300 dollars in just a few hours from people that stopped. I don't make that much money in a week working at a regular job.
@WakeUpKitty (8706)
• Netherlands
Begging is a way to make a great income and you don't need to join an organisation for that. People all over the world are begging and have a great life. Those who do it this way even don't say "thanks" if you give them something. Also they don't care abusing their kids to do the job or their wife while looking to them for a distance. No respect for those beggars.. they are just scammers.
@beamer88 (4268)
This has been a problem here in my country for quite some time already. Apparently, some syndicates are behind this. They use children and old people to beg for money from motorists and pedestrians. I myself am at a lost why our city officials can't put a stop to it. Sometimes it's so frustrating to see beggars plying their trade in front of a law enforcer and nothing is being done about it. It makes me wonder if some of our police and traffic enforcers are under the payroll of these syndicates.
@champoy186 (1638)
Some people make this as their profession. I really don't give money to beggars. Some of them don't look like starving. I guess they are just lazy to find a job. They want easy money.
@yanzalong (10174)
How nice to be beggars. They don't have to work hard. They just sit and pretend to be poor. They make good money everyday.I don't give them money. Doyou?
I don't give money to them. They will just continue doing it if the people will continue giving some money to them. There are many ways to earn money. Why they don't look for a job. They should work hard for themselves.
@Mashnn (4503)
I am not aware of professional beggers but I have come across those beggars that are used by other people to collect money for them.
@Mashnn (4503)
That is probably true. I have seen some beggars holding some good money while you have to work hard to earn such money. I have no problem with genuine beggars like those very disabled but I have problem with those pretenders or those who are doing it as a professional.
I was amused when I read the title of your discussion. It never came into my mind that beggars can be a Professional. Perhaps it is really true that those beggars took Begging seriously. I haven't heard any news here in our place that begging is now a Profession.
@yanzalong (10174)
It is not the beggars that claimed to be professional but those people out there like us who finally think they are professionals as they employed young children to do the begging job. Begging doesn't harm passers by, which is why police team do not raid on their activities.
I saw it one day o the news here in NY.. I think they do it all year tound and make good money doing it too. Take care.
@yanzalong (10174)
Thank for responding. I heard that begging was illegal in some countries. Why is it considered illegal, do you happen to know it?
@prinzcy (5058)
I read reports and news about them from various sources. I also read how an undercover reporter dressed up as a beggar to see how much he could earned. Believe it or not, he earned hundreds that day! Either his disguise was good or people were too kind. I couldn't make that much a day.