Favoritism...

@lady1993 (15739)
Maybe it's just me...But I don't really like my teacher since he seems to have favorites among us- he always asks answers from the same people, alwys looking at the same place...I know he just wants everyone to pass his subject by giving plus points, but he should at least be more fair..and listen to all of us first. I know he just wants us to learn something, but I think he should just leave those students who have no interest in his class at all...
@Mashnn (4503)
Is he concentrating on bright students or those not so bright and less interested students? When I was in college, I had teacher who used to behave like this but more often she would ask questions the only the bright students and ignore not so bright students.
@Mashnn (4503)
Sorry, I do not need any cash from your links and I hope you can take time to read and understand TOS of this website before you are banned from using it.
@megamatt (14333)
Every teacher seems to have that one student that they seem to have somewhat of a soft spot for. At least that is what has happened in my experience. The favoritism might be something that is less blatant for some people right in the teaching world, then there are for others. But there are favorites for all teachers and it really just seems to be something that is sadly more obvious in some cases than others. Granted, a good teacher will hear the other side of the story, before they toss it to the side. And they tend to feel the need to spotlight those favorites within the class, when the more blatant ones do it. Much to the undermining of the others. But this has been happening for years and years and this will continue to happen for years and years more. But there are just going to be some level of favoritism for even the teachers seem the fairest.
@KOSTAS499 (1625)
• Greece
It is good you learn about favoritism now, because it will be there everywhere you go. My advice to you is ignore it and remain decent. People will appreciate you for that.
Maybe your teacher feels he can depend on these people. If you feel he isn't being faire then perhaps you should talk to him and hear his side of things. Leaving the students who have no interest in this class to what?
@stanley777 (7176)
I'm a little confused, so you say your teacher have favorites among your class. And in my understanding, he always picked the same students when he ask question even though they are not attentive in the class, and if they have answered it right they get plus points. I think your teacher must treat you fairly and give chance to others to answer so they can get points too, or maybe you and your other classmates should raised your hands and should be given a chance to answer his question too to be fair.
@deodavid (4150)
Hi there lady, I think that your prof is not being fair but is trying to help others to make his class, but again it is also important that you are fair to all so that everybody gets to participate and learn, it doesnt mean that you are passing a class means your good and dont need further teaching, right.
@secretbear (19472)
Hi lady! That really sucks. I hated it when a teacher always saw me and called me in class. I don't like oral recitation in a large class. It's okay if it was a small class with less than 10 students. But you can't do anything about that, you can only be prepared so that you'll have an answer when he calls you. You can also try to be "invisible" in class although I don't know how you can do that. Anyway, good luck with your classes.
@savypat (20248)
If he is asking questions of those who seem to have no interest in his class, maybe that is a way that he hopes to inspire them. As a teacher I often did this so that I could encourage them to be part of the class.
That doesn't sound like good teaching methods. Fairness is something teachers should role model.
@choybel (5059)
I think that sometimes we cannot blame teachers for choosing the same students to answers questions and participate in class always, because it could be that the teachers find other student uninterested. Still, you are right about giving equal opportunities to each students and giving them the fair chance to try. I remember my high school teacher who once said during our first class with her, "I do favoritism in my class. I give good grades to my favorites, and my favorites would be those that participate all the time, gets high scores in quizzes and exams, completes assignments, and behaves in class.". She turned out to be one of my favorite teachers.