those sandwich spreads

The TV show , Imbestigador, has for its story, the sandwich spreads like tuna spread, peanut butter and mayonnaise that were being sold at Blumentritt Market. They were placed in a small transparent containers and only costs PhP35.00. Through the report of a concerned citizen, it was found out that those sandwich spreads were being delivered in big pails and are being repacked in those small containers by the vendors. Further investigation showed where the deliverers came from and it revealed a dirty place in Tondo where it is being made. The authorities raided it, and found out that the place was filthy. The men who were working there were also shirtless and the place has no ventilation. Some ingredients were just in a sack. Others are in open pails. Thus, the authorities have it closed. I don’t mind if I have to shell out a bit more money for a branded sandwich spread, as long as I know that it passed the standards of the FDA. Thanks for Imbestigador for having featured those things!
@ybong007 (6658)
Oh boy....I just purchased a peanut butter without any label from an office mate a few days ago...
I think it's made by your office mate and you know that she makes them in a clean manner. So there's really nothing to fear ybong.
@ybong007 (6658)
Maybe you're right. It's been days already and I haven't experienced running to the bathroom just yet.
@louievill (19336)
@ybong007, I think homemade belongs to a different class of products, it's more or less similar to Philippine cottage industry items or products. Are you sure you did not have work related issues lately with your office mate ?
@louievill (19336)
I have no problem with that although it's sickening to find out, I always buy branded mayo like best food and lady's choice, so with our peanut butter (most of the time Ludy's). I also make spreads like tuna from well known canning brands like 555 tuna or San Marino tuna flakes, it's either I make it. my wife or my mother, what good would it do to save on unknown brands when you might have to pay for it later on with a large hospital bill plus not being able to work
That's true. Not only will it be a waste of money but an additional expense for being hospitalized. Sometimes, we really have to be discerning of the foods we buy. Yes, we should try to save but let's put in mind the cleanliness of the product.
@louievill (19336)
If I want to save, i'll buy SM Bonus, but that is the lowest I would go, at least it's still branded and made by a trusted name.
That sounds a bit disgusting and shocking. I would probably do the same thing as you, I wouldn't mind putting in a bit of extra cash out of my pocket for a branded and more known spread as well. Safety and health always comes first in my opinion. What good is saving a few extra cents and/or dollars if your health could be in danger. Good thing they found out and investigated it, who knows what could have happened if it would have continued.
Actually , a consumer noticed the packaging. It is placed in a transparent platic container, yet the oil seems to be all over the container. And he noticed the vendors repacking them at the market from the pails where they were contained. Hence, he reported it to Imbestigador.
@adnileb (5035)
Yikes! That's why we should be careful in buying our foods. We should only buy at trusted supermarkets to avoid those kinds of bacteria. Thanks indeed for Imbestigador. They are always been helpful with their reports.
Yes, we should really be discriminating when it comes to buying foods. Those kinds of foods should be refrigerated in the first place. I like to watch Imbestigador specially if the topics are ones that we could relate with.
Yikes! I'm happy that I didn't get to watch that episode as I easily get sick from seeing scenes like the one you mentioned here. I literally gag when I do! I agree with you in that I don't mind spending a little extra, so long as I know that what I eat and feed my family are safe to eat. Kudos to Imbestigador because they put unhealthy business practices like these to the forefront.
It was accidental that i chance upon Imbestigador. When i saw that topic , i was right away interested. When it comes to topics on the manner foods are prepared it usually interests me. I always watch Imbestigador when those are the topics. I have seen the dirty cornik and the hopia episode. Imbestigador is really the best when it comes to exposes. Sabi nga ni Mike Enriques, "Hindi kita tatantanan!"
@chiyosan (30204)
this is really not the first time that such is featured in imbestigador. this is why we never buy food stuffs that looked repacked. we always buy our spreads, mayonnaise and peanut butters in supermarkets and make sure that the product is a brand we know with quality products and with cleanliness as part of the branding and packaging.
Well,i have once bought a kilo of peanut butter in the market, to be used for the my kare-kare. It was placed in a container of lady's choice, but nonetheless i asked for a bit of it and tasted it. I find it delicious and i bought it. But those other spreads with mayonnaise , i won't because they are supposed to be refrigerated.
@beamer88 (4268)
That's usually why I refrain from buying in public markets. A lot of the things sold there don't have any assurances on the safety of the product. I also would spend a little more if I knew what I'm buying was safe to eat, especially processed food. Sometimes I even have a hard time buying a new brand and I need to take a look at where and who manufactured it. It's really a good thing that we have shows like "Imbestigador" who's concerned about the safety of the consumers, and they act upon it :)
Just like you i don't buy those things in the market. I only buy from the market the fresh produce such as meats , fish and veggies. That's true, Imbestigador has already exposed a lot of unclean or "dugyot" ways of making foods. That way, people are really warned not to patronize them anymore.