Working many hours

@SomeCowgirl (32266)
Are you the type of person who feels "ahhh I need a break" if you work day after day after day without a day off? I am sort of like this. I worked five days, and today I knew I wanted a break. I worked today, and tomorrow I am off. Then on Saturday I go in at 6 am and I forget about Sunday. Monday I go in at 6 am again I believe and blah blah blah. I asked off for the sevententh and eighteenth which is next week. I'm going to be hanging out with friends. Anyway, I was just curious how everyone handles the stress of many hours or long hours without a "day off" break?
If it is all at the same job I handle it very poorly. Which job are you working all these hours for? If I have a temporary job, I work pretty much everything I can get, because I know it will end.
@SomeCowgirl (32266)
This is the only job I have, the grocery store. They didn't write me up and gave me more hours even, which is good. I guess if it was different places it wouldn't bother me as much, especially if customer contact was minimal in the other(s).
I guess it is a good thing, but I quit the full time job I started in December because of a lot of things, including nonsensical scheduling. I was working sometimes way too many days in a row, but because they started their week on Thursday, I could work several days in a row and not get overtime. I also have a part time, that demo job, and I was working that too. It was way too much. I actually like the customer contact with the demo job. On the other hand, I am applying all sorts of places for other work. Wish me luck.
@SomeCowgirl (32266)
Sometimes the scheduling where I work can be terrible. It goes Wednesday to Tuesday. Good Luck on finding other work! With summer coming up I'm sure you'll find something temporary if nothing else!
@choybel (5059)
I guess doing the same thing everyday can really be stressful even if doing nothing at all. Sometimes it's the monotonous routine that makes me want to take a break and do something different. Hanging out with friends or love ones is one of the best way to break the stress.
@SomeCowgirl (32266)
I am going to be hanging out with my friends next weekend and I am so excited. It has been a long time since I'd seen them. We don't get to hang out as much because of our schedules and how far apart we are from each other. I am glad to have many hours at work though, and so glad to be able to have the opportunity to use online earnings to destress as well until I can see them and we can have a good time.
@choybel (5059)
Well, it seems that you are about to have a well-deserved break. I hope you enjoy it and make the most out of it. You might want to bring a camera to capture good moments and memories. You could even share some with us afterwards, if you wish. Anyway, take care and good luck!
@SomeCowgirl (32266)
I use my cellphone's camera to do that, and don't even post them to facebook for fear a non friend would see them. By that I mean a person who used to be our friend but brings to much drama. I will have fun and thank you. Have a good day.
@ShepherdSpy (8562)
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
I have only ever had one short term 9-5 type job,all the others have been shift work up til now..We just had a busy month at work throughout Feb.,working 6 day weeks with several "Split Shifts" thrown in to make things more interesting..(If you've never worked a split shift in a service industry like in a restaurant,it means an early shift,like serving breakfast,then you get the afternoon off for a few hours,then go back in for an evening shift)..it tends to mess up your day,especially when you're finishing up late after the evening shift then get to go back in again next morning, but on the sorta plus side,last week I was able to fit in a Dentist appointment during the break..Destressing for me is time to myself or bed!
@SomeCowgirl (32266)
I've worked as a waitress and banquet server where I would have that. As a banquet server though it wasn't so much split as I still had to work, it was just a few hours between banquets. When I was a waitress I worked from 11-2, then 3-8 or 4-8. It was alright, I had time to come home and gather my thoughts. When I first started the waitressing job I would work at it 11-2 and then go to another job 3-11, and that was kind of good, I liked it but then it got too much. I know busy seasons at work, it seems like that's all you are able to do is work. Anyway that is actually where I am off to now.
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
It does catch up on you..you need a break sometime!
@ElicBxn (60894)
The roomie once worked 30 days straight. She was ready to kill someone by the end of it, despite the good overtime pay!
@SomeCowgirl (32266)
I think I would be too. It gets to a point where you think "forget the over time, this is ridiculous!" I used to work for a set of hotels and I could work for three weeks straight, 12 hour days, but get two weeks off. The first week I spent trying to catch up on sleep. It got to a point where it was making me sick trying to have a life and work at the same time, and so I up and quit one day. I told them, I can't work a two weeks notice.
@ElicBxn (60894)
I totally agree, and so would she! Thankfully now she seldom has any overtime. And, yes, it was in the hotel business....
I am working online and not outside.I work any time in my hour and i can relax any time i want. But since i just work in my own hour,my income is low because i waste my time and my site i join is not much to earn.
@SomeCowgirl (32266)
I was doing that myself, hoping I could find something that would strike me rich but I couldn't find anything. I am a very picky online earner. I find though that now that I have a real job (I finally had found one in July of last year) that I earn more online as well. Or maybe it just seems like more because it's just an "aside" money. I hope you can find something that will bring more income in for you but the best thing for you to do is to save as much of the money as you can and look for a job outside of the internet as well.
Yes for now, i think i find the two and it is investing i will just think and try it. Maybe one day i will earn good income a month and sometimes i do't get any so i try my best and you also and we understand that there is no easy work online.
I am like you too, my friend. I would , after working way past my supposed to be dismissal hours for the past days, suddenly asked my boss that i go home on the dot yesterday and left her with the other EA. Thus, i went to the mall and window shopped. I saw a beautiful wedge sandals and bought it with my credit card. As i passed by another shop, i saw another beautiful sandals and saw that it was for sale! I bought it too but this time i used my cash since i don't want to add it to credit used and thus, my allowance was really strapped! But never mind , because i was able to buy two beautiful sandals and the other one was so cheap, more than half of its original price. I felt so alive and happy having done that last night.
@SomeCowgirl (32266)
Well this isn't quite about working past the working hours, though I've had to do that in the past as well. This was about working day after day in a row, but needing / wanting to relax by any means helps us to keep our stress levels down. I do want to shop, and need to shop for more variety of clothes and get rid of the ones that I do not wear.
Go for it my friend!
@KrauseHome (35507)
Well, there have been days in the past, where I really did not have a Day off, and so it made for long days and weeks. I tried having my own little Business in a shop I actually rented, and then worked my Full time job as well. It did make it quite hard to ever have enough Free time to just relax, etc. Many times it made me quite cranky. But since the Business was not panning out Financially, I gave it up at least for now. So I can relate with working long hrs. but when you have times to get a break, sleep in, and relax more, it makes everything more worth while.
@SomeCowgirl (32266)
I think I was a bit "irritated" last week because the hours I was working was early. I did like being able to go home early and sleep a few hours and then enjoy the rest of my evening. I've worked jobs where it was constant constant many hours and it made me hard to deal with because I hardly had any sleep. I've tried the two job thing but it made it where I was hardly able to see friends and at that time that was a priority. I am hoping maybe one day you can open that business back up, working for yourself is a great opportunity and had I the resources I wouldn't mind doing it myself.
Yes! Whenever I've worked outside the home I feel like this, and usually after two hours of being at work. I haven't worked for someone else in almost three years, but every single job I'd ever had other than my own real estate business was exhausting beyond belief for me. Go figure...I can run a business, manage properties, deal with leases, mortgages, and massive property debt under my belt, but when you put me in a retail setting I start to have a nervous breakdown. I think it's the idea that "this will never end" that gets me most. If I never quit a job, I would have to go in every day and have to work at someone else's discretion, and that doesn't sit well with me. I don't have control over when I work in some cases (if I didn't have a set schedule at a job, for example), when I get my breaks, and what gets me most is when I feel I don't have a direct say in the company. I want to be able to provide feedback to a company and have it considered, at the very least, and not dismissed simply because I'm an employee and not a manager or part of the top ranks. I worked at Kohl's department store once, and I've never seen such terrible employee treatment. At my employee review, I remember bringing this up and having a long, hard talk with the store manager. At the end of the day, my insights weren't taken seriously, and I couldn't justify working for a company whose policies and ethics I despised. Also, going into the same place day in and day out grates on me for more than constantly thinking about the other things I could be doing...it also affects my health. Normally, I eat anywhere from seven to ten (or even more) meals a day. My husband cooks, and we're constantly eating small meals throughout the day rather than the concept of three big meals. Whenever I've worked outside the home in the past, one lunch and two small breaks aren't enough eating for me within eight hours. I start to lose weight, my sleep suffers, and I become a walking zombie. I also get very irritable when I'm hungry, so I start snapping at my husband when I'm home, taking naps, etc. Long story short, I don't know how you do it. I can't imagine working the hours you do...I remember feeling the monotonous, "Will this ever end?" kind of feeling. I remember managers calling me and asking if I wanted to work extra, and thinking it was the last thing I wanted to do but that if I didn't, I might not seem to be as good of an employee. That anxious feeling I used to get when walking back to work after a break...yikes. Kudos to you for going through that!
@SomeCowgirl (32266)
I used to have an anxiety disorder, It was an adjustment disorder. During the time that I had that I found it very hard to go into work. I didn't even like a regular schedule, and hated having to take care of customers. I was in the fast food industry at that time. It was terrible, I quit and then just laid on the couch, alone and depressed. I finally went to the doctor's and that is what they told me. Later I still had some problems, I needed to know when my break would be or I'd start getting anxious at work. Then that faded or passed, and I started working for hotels where the work was constant. I didn't much like it, sure the paycheck was alright but it started affecting my health. Then fast forward to this job, skipping another I had in between. They treat us right, there are times when we don't get a break until later or not at all. There are times when I want to scream because they are just not on the ball about things, but we are treated very well overall. One thing I do hate is being on call which means that we have to call them and ask them if we need to work that day. It can be tiring and we aren't really able to make plans on days we are on call because we don't know if we have to work until the hour we are to call. There are days we can expect it though. I've tried the working for myself, and if I had the right resources I wouldn't mind trying it again. Overall, as long as I have constant and the same hours I am fine. Last week, the week I was writing about in this discussion I was scheduled for mostly the same or early hours. I knew when my break would be, when my lunch would be and when I could go home. I liked that. This week I don't have as many hours. I am a cashier. One thing I do have to say is when a job allows us the opportunity to do "chores" to get away from the register it is always good. I am hoping if it comes a point in time that you do need to get another regular job, that you can find a company that will suit you and you will be able to pick the hours you want. Retail and customer service can be very bad things to work for, and even harder to find a company that treats you right.
@JenInTN (27564)
When I get a day off...I don't schedule anything!. I try to do just what I want when I want to do it. I don't have many days off and this is turning out to be a particularly busy week for me. I haven't even had the chance to myLot! After having working 50 hours I have an 8 page paper due for school and I only have 4 pages written..LOL..those stinking citations are killing me. I had to have a moments break so here I am relieving stress.
@SomeCowgirl (32266)
Our bodies and minds are only made for so much until we need a break. My body was getting sore just on that five day stretch but when I got a day off I was so happy for it. This week isn't as busy, which I am glad for but also know I need the money. That is where mylot comes in. I'm hoping you can get that paper done and have more time for yourself. I understand the "my day" thing on your days off. There's been times I've had to take care of business on a day off, and didn't much like having to get up early to do it but felt better after having gotten it done.
@airasheila (5458)
Good day SomeCowgirl, With reference to your main topic, I am one of those guys who really need to work so many hours. As I need to raise a fund for my future projects and activities. Aside from that, I want to help my brother in sending his kids to school. Due to the high school fee, I want to help my brother by giving him an amount of money to pay for the tuition fee. So, I am really doing my very best to earn more. As I am religiously doing it 24/7. That, I am only taking a half day break during Sunday to attend a mass and be with my family during lunch. Then be back at my post to work during Sunday afternoon. As much as I want to have a good break, I really need to work, work, work and work.
@SomeCowgirl (32266)
If I was in your shoes it would get to the point where that would really stress me out. I have to have a break, and yesterday was mine. I work today, about to go in in fact, and then I think I may be off on Sunday, I am hoping so. I really could use another break. I am tired still as I am writing this so that may be why I say I need another break. I will have to look my schedule to see what my hours are for the next few days and next week as well.
@sishy7 (27592)
When I was young, I did not really mind working all the time. At one stage I was holding as many as 3 jobs at the same time. I guess I was really eager to make as much money as I could and did not mind the long hours. Well, it has all changed after I have a family and now I'd rather take as many break as I could possibly have.
@SomeCowgirl (32266)
Having that attitude is not a bad thing though. If you had many jobs and was able to save the money it helped with your family life and being able to get things that are needed for that. I've not yet got a family but I know that when I do I will want to spend more time with them and relaxing then I would working.
@dodo19 (34300)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
Sometimes, I do feel as though I need a break. I wouldn't say that it always happens, or anything like that, but it depends on the job, what I have to do, the hours I'm putting in, and such.
@SomeCowgirl (32266)
I think our minds just say "rest!" and even if it's just for an hour of pure relaxation, it helps a great deal! I know it does for me anyway.
@yahnee (1250)
I am a workaholic. I simply love to work. When I was still working for a company, I hardly take any breaks. I even go to work during weekends because I feel happy doing my job and I want it done perfectly. Now that I am into article writing, I only take a break when there is something important that should be given attention. I even worked during the Christmas holidays and New Year. Money is partly a motivation but work is fun if you love the job. I am more stressed when I am not doing anything productive.
@jazel_juan (15767)
Oh i could go on and on and on especially here in the office. Even without lunch breaks!!! Its like i have this attitude that i need to finish my work...even without eating! But sometimes it gets into me and i would declare - enough, i need a break.
Well i am also a person like working for more than 12-14 hours a day and i think about saturday i like to take bay break on saturday and sunday. I use to sleep for the whole saturday and enjoy my sunday with full of fun. This will give me a fresh mind. by this way only im working. but, i like to change my way of working as 6 hours per day and 5 days full work. 2 days full of enjoyment. I like to change but i cant. I hope soon i will change my way of working.
@Cherish14 (2695)
hi there, i just finished college but i was a working student. i had classes Monday thru Wednesday then duty at the hospital Thursday thru Saturdays, and vice versa depending on the rotation. during the Christmas Vacation, i worked as a tutor. a private tutor of two people. one is a Foreign student and one was in elementary, where i studied too before when i was in Highschool. i travel from one student to the other since to attend to their needs. i was so tired, exhausted but i couldn't say no. well i can say " i can still do it" but my body and mind were so tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiired already but i had to do it so i could finish school and earn money. my parents pay for my tuition but i need extra allowance since there are so many expenses in college, it was never enough, honestly. but now that i am done with school, i am doing nothing. i dont have a job yet because i am not done gathering all my papers and i still have to claim my license as a nurse since it just got released. now because of all the hardships i had in school, i kind of like got lazy nowadays. i start a very lite work and i get tired right away, and i tell myself "i need a break", "i need a break" and "i need a break". hehehe. i usually just handle stress by watching a movie and talking to my boyfriend. i am dealing with soooooo much stress right now honestly. and i am thinking about running away but that's another story hehe sorry if my response is too long. i hope you understand. thanks and happy mylotting.
@maratus (184)
to handles the stress of many hours working without break is remember for what you working (for everyone you love) and remember how hard you got that job.
Me too! I am having a hard time with working for long hours and days. I am a person who believes that not having much rest makes an employee inefficient. My previous work entails me to be on duty for six days a week. That's why I tried hard to look for another job which offers only a five day work week. But in my current work, I still have to work on Saturdays sometimes. But that is better than being obligated to work six days a week. But I do feel that when I get the rest that I needed during the weekends, I am more refreshed in working for the whole week. I have tried before having no day off for two consecutive weeks. I won't be able to live through such a situation again! That was really tough and it made me sick. That's why I tell myself always to have my rest days during weekends.
@shibham (17022)
Hi... I am a professor and have to stay in college for 6 hours and in these hours class load dont cross more than 3 hours. So, i have no need to seek a break as being tired. But i get tired for the distance of my job place from my home. have a nice time.
@salonga (27957)
The beach - A favorite hideaway
All work and no play makes a person dull! So I can't really see a good reason why we need to punish ourselves with working long hours without break. If ust a short break will do the magic or a short nap of at least 15 minutes can revitalize a person how much more a full day off after a week of hard work? So I am one person who always treat myself after a year of work. I make sure I do something to make a real relaxing and pampering day off. That way I don't and will never grow dull. So off to the beach tomorrow! That would be very exciting!