My friend is joining the army and I am so scared for him

My friend is joining the army and is going to request to be sent to Afghanistan immediately. I am terrified. I love him so much and it would kill a part of me if he got himself killed. I tried to talk him out of it but he feels very strongly about it and wants to go. I have never fully understood war and I sent him this extract from a poem but he is still adamant he is going. For me this sums up my feelings of war. I didn't raise my son to be a soldier I raised him up to be my pride and joy Why should he put a musket to his shoulder To kill another mother's darling boy Why should he fight in someone else's quarrels It's time to throw the sword and gun away There would be no war today If the nations all would say No I didn't raise my son to be a soldier. I didn't raise my son to be a soldier To go fighting in some far-off foreign land He may get killed before he's any older For a cause that he will never understand Why should he fight another rich man's battle While they stay at home and while their time away Let those with most to lose Fight each other if they choose For I didn't raise my son to be a soldier
I really like the poem that you've shared there. I think you've summed it all up as to why I really don't want my son to ever join the military. He has been my pride and joy since he was born and I couldn't imagine loosing him at any time during my life. However, in the situations that are going on now, I think that most people do understand their reasons for fighting and that is the reason that there are a lot of people that are volunteering.
@choybel (5059)
I share the same feeling about being soldiers and wars, not for me. I guess I am terrified at the idea of kill or get killed. I hope your friend is fighting for the greater cause, and may he live through out the war, since there's no stopping him now from joining. Let us just hope and pray for his safety and survival. I love the poem, by the way. Who wrote this?
Apparently its a song - the full lyrics are here http://mysongbook.de/msb/songs/i/ididntra.html
@choybel (5059)
Very nice. If only I could hear it play.
Try youtube music
I would be terrified too if someone close to me wanted to join the army. I would be scared of losing them. Why can't we just live in peace and why do we need to fight each other? Life would be veyr beautiful with all this fighting but I guess we need armies to defend our people and our countries from others who do not want to live and let others live in peace. I think your friend has already made up his mind about the army so all you can do is support him in his choice and decision and pray for his safety...
People seem to think military service is honourable. I don't really get how it works, but I know if it was one of my kids, I would not be proud of them going out and killing another mother's child. It seems so senseless.
War is simple to understand, imposable to stomach and always around the corner. Everyone is selling something, a idea, a dream, or a point of view. What some men and women sale come at a price no less than human lives. War is simple to understand in the fact that there are only a small number of reasons for which it is started. Politics & religion, nothing more and nothing less. Although you may not understand his reasons for wanting to go stand behind him and support him in his decision. No it is not easy to do right now but if you care for him do it out of love. I hope that this day never comes for you but if it does then know in your heart that you parted on good terms. Do not have any regrets. You do not want your last memories of him to be when you gave him a tong lashing. No he will not come back the same person that you remember now. As I have not had a friend that has returned the same. No man was meant to endure the pain of war. We have a choice that must be made in order to let other people live or die. No I am not just talking about people overseas I am talking about Americans. I do not care what political party that you affiliate yourself with. America learned a hard lesson in World war two. We can not sit idly by while others are falling at the wast side and expect to continue our way of life. "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." I know that this is hard to hear but the truth has to be accepted before you can move on. Life is ever changing, what was true yesterday may not be true today. We can only live one day at a time and make the most of it. Be his friend and if you must protest his choice do it with love not anger. Give him a reason to make it back home. Stay in contact with him as much as possible while he is away. The good memories that you give him now will serve him well no matter where he goes. God speed to you and may this war end soon...
@mac1946 (1602)
• Calgary, Alberta
Marianne87, The poem is from the songs of the American battle for independence. but can be used for all wars. As he is determined to join,and tell him,if he wishes to live through it,do not join just for the education he will receive if he comes back,but that he is going to help save peoples lives. And he will not be sent straight over there,there will be at least 6 weeks or more of training. Wish him my best wishes. From a former soldier from Viet-Nam mac
@Metatronik (5923)
• Pasay, Philippines
Your poem is really great. But then you can't really do anything about his decision. You know if a person is really determine on one thing especially in terms of ambition, career and other more dreams. Then it will really come to a point that he is also willing to die for something.
@vimal1990 (116)
if your friends ambition is really to join in army... then you should be happy because for that he got a job in army...Not every person can join in army.. A person who cares there country will have passion in joining the army.. Be proud for this month....
@yanzalong (10172)
In my country it's different now. The salary of the army force, police, and other soldiers have been increased by the government, also the pension age has been added to 58 years of age. Now, many candidates are after it.